PDA

View Full Version : Lee Microscope, How do ya hold it steady ?

Papa Jack
12-01-2010, 05:13 AM
I bought a Lee lead hardness tester. I needed somethin to show me which way I was going with this lead...
I have one problem.....How do ya hold the microscope steady to measure the indent ?
I shake too much to hold it by hand, kinda frustrating trying to measure, the indent keeps moving.
I finally bout gave up, then I thought about attaching the Microscope to the arm on my Dial Indicator stand. That helped quite a bit. This way I can look thru the scope thats pretty stationary and then carefully slide the bullet under the tube to take a measurement...It's not always in focus, but better than it was....
I was wondering if you guys had any tricks to share......LOL Thanks ! "PJ" [smilie=b:

I noticed Charlie two tracks had a thread below and got me thinking about it.....Thanks Charlie

Charlie Two Tracks
12-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Click on this
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97973

pdawg_shooter
12-01-2010, 09:06 AM
I slip it inside a 45ACP reloading die in my press. Use the v-base shellholder to hold the bullet and run it up to the lens with the ram.

mrbill2
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Let your sample lay on the bench and move the scope around to use.

cajun shooter
12-01-2010, 10:22 AM
That is a neat set up Mr. Bill. I used a children's micro scope when I had mine but your set up is the way to go. I moved up to the Cabine Tree and it is made for people over 50

Papa Jack
12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
All good ideas guys ! I'll start working on something before I mix the next batch of alloy, it was just taking too long to get anything done.....
I have a kids microscope, but it's a cheapo and doesn't lend itself to attaching the scope to it, I tried it already...Built weird.
I'll come up with somethin, let you know, hopefully with a picture or two....."PJ"

imashooter2
12-01-2010, 07:21 PM
A plastic funnel with the spout cut off to proper diameter for a friction fit and a cut out in the side for light and the sample should be easy enough. One like in the background of mrbill2's picture would be perfect.

mrbill2
12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
A plastic funnel with the spout cut off to proper diameter for a friction fit and a cut out in the side for light and the sample should be easy enough. One like in the background of mrbill2's picture would be perfect.

I like that plastic funnel idea. Next time I get to the hardware I'm going to pick one up and give that a try even tho I don't need another holder.