PDA

View Full Version : Round balls in .45/70

JDL
05-20-2005, 02:29 PM
I started loading this plinking load a couple of years ago after Buckshot posted about doing it. I loaded 4 grains of Red Dot first, which littered the barrel with powder zombies and then tried 3 grains of Bullseye but, pressure is still so low as to leave a lot of unburned powder and the brass is really smoked up. Is there any way to eliminate this problem? It's sure fun to shoot, only makes a pop, and pine cones, rocks, or Coke cans are seldom missed offhand at short range. :-)-JDL

Bass Ackward
05-20-2005, 05:47 PM
I loaded 4 grains of Red Dot first, which littered the barrel with powder zombies and then tried 3 grains of Bullseye but, pressure is still so low as to leave a lot of unburned powder and the brass is really smoked up. Is there any way to eliminate this problem? JDL

JDL,

If you want to cut the unpowder go up in weight. Use two or three balls. Or if you just want to seal and keep the chamber clean, use some Liquid Alox and paint it on with a Q-tip so that it comes down over the case about 1/8th inch. This allows a fair seal. If it doesn't seal, paint it down farther.

45 2.1
05-20-2005, 07:54 PM
The poor ignition is due to alot of space in the cartridge. I use a 45 cal. foam wad cut from an egg carton placed 1/8" above the powder in RB or collar button loads in the 4570. Your 4 gr. of RedDot or WW 231 will work fine.

beagle
05-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I've used cardboard wads under the balls and I've used dacron filler. I know fillers are controversial but it really helps with ignition and keep the bore and cases clean./beagle

woody1
05-21-2005, 10:58 PM
I shoot a lot of round balls (backyard loads). That said, IMO your problems are mostly caused by low pressure. I like to use the largest ball I can fit in a fired UNSIZED case. I find it's best if I have to run the loaded cartridge back into the sizer just a touch to get the cartridge to chamber. This is an obvious no-no with full power loads but helps the seal and generates a little more pressure in these very light loads. I don't use fillers. Regards, Woody