PDA

View Full Version : Large Primers

Bradley
11-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm out of large pistol primers and can not find any locally. I do have, however, a fair supply of large rifle primers. So my question is this. Could I use large rifle primers in my 44 magnum pistol loads?

HORNET
11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Probably not. Large rifle primers and large pistol primers are different heights, with LR primers being thicker. It's only .005", but that could be enough to cause problems. The LR primers are also hotter which could require redeveloping loads due to pressure considerations.

cajun shooter
11-30-2010, 12:54 PM
The LP primers have a harder outer case and a longer anvil. The primer mixture is much different and a lot hotter. It has been done the other way with the 45-70 case but I don't think it would be wise to use them for your need. I would wait until I had the correct primer. The LP measures .118 and the LR is .126 which shows the difference I was referring to.

woody1
11-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Where do you live? Might find someone to swap w/ you for some. I could prob'ly spare some but I sure won't ship 'em. Regards, Woody

Moonie
11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
You can usually use LP in place of LR for low pressure cast loads but as has been mentioned there is a difference in length. I would NOT advise using LR in place of LP ever.

EDK
11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm out of large pistol primers and can not find any locally. I do have, however, a fair supply of large rifle primers. So my question is this. Could I use large rifle primers in my 44 magnum pistol loads?

POWDER VALLEY has some good prices...at least compared to St Louis area @$30 or more...on primers. The price difference on 5000 would come close to covering the HAZMAT fee. I'm in good shape on primers or I'd be ordering from them at these prices.