PDA

View Full Version : Fly in Cast Boolit ointment is discovered

MikeSSS
10-11-2006, 11:31 PM
I love army rifles but have not shot them much in a long time.

Now I'm retired and have the time. With cast boolits I can afford to shoot them. Yahoo!

Not so fast........it takes a long time to load plentiful, cheap milsurp ammo on the single stage press. I had forgot about this. (Or surpressed the memory.)

So, I'm gonna get another tool head and powder measure and start reloading at least the 1903 A3 ammo on the Dillon.

Insert a case, hold a bullet, pump the handle, flip the shell holder and hear the beautiful sound as a loaded round lands in the tray. It happens faster than you can say it.

Liquid Alox makes lubing the boolits fast and putting on the gas check and sizing isn't that bad. The casting part is both fun and easy and it goes pretty fast too. When the .30 six-banger comes in the casting will be a lot faster and I won't have to fumble with gas checks anymore.

Life is good.

georgeld
10-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Cast e'm hard, and shoot 'em slow.
Many less problems.

Then when you do have some leading don't fight it, or work too hard to get it out.
Just get some Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner and a bronze brush.

Soak the brush in the goop, ten strokes, take a ten minute break,
ten more strokes, then patch it clean.

Make sure to keep the goop off the stock as it'll take that finish right off before you
realize it's on there. Won't hurt the metal finish at all. Will take all type's of fouling out of a bore. Even plastic in shotguns.

Good luck, have a lot of fun, enjoy that retirement, you've earned it.

MikeSSS
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Blue Wonder sounds like just what I need.

Thank you, Sir!

garandsrus
10-12-2006, 12:55 AM
MikeSSS,

Don't forget that you need to belle the case mouth a little to help in seating the boolet without shaving lead from it... If you have a 550 you can do that in the third spot and then seat/crimp (remove the belle really) in the fouth spot. If you have a 650 with five stations, you are all set!

You still need to check the length of the brass after resizing, which makes the progressive press more of a "twice through" affair for me.

With bottlenecked cases the first pass is to resize and deprime in station 1 and then belle the case mouth in any other station. Then, I tumble the brass to remove the sizing lube. For the second pass, you are back to a "normal" loading setup of seating the bullet in the third station with a 550. I use a "universal decapper" in station one during pass 2 to remove any media stuck in the flash hole.

John