PDA

View Full Version : Went Deer Hunting. . .

Hickory
11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Went deer hunting this mourning .Did not see anything, so at noon started back to the house for lunch. Two hundred yards from the house all h*ll breaks loose back in the woods that I’d just left.
Six deer run out into the center of an eighty acre field and stop. They are out about 140 yards. I have my S&W 44mag sighted in for 100yds. I was using Lyman’s devastator boolit. I can’t get a shot at the biggest buck, so I take the shot on the smaller one. At the shot the buck jumps into the air at the same time I hear the splat of the boolit striking flesh. The larger buck and three does run away from the woods and the other two does run back towards the woods. The buck that I’d shot turned and ran after the two does towards the woods, but not very fast. After about 75 yards it stops straddled legged. It was facing away from me so I started walking in its direction. All of a sudden it slowly collapsed where it was standing, but it still had its head up. He was too far away for another shot. So, I crouched down and waited for it to die. After a few minutes its head went down and I figured it was only a matter of time until it expired. 15 minutes goes by and the thing just stood up and walked stiff legged to the woods. After 20yds. It collapses again. Good, I think , all the good stuff is about used up. Its head goes down again and stays there for another 12-15 minutes. I walk towards the deer slowly and make about 50yds. before the deer struggles to its feet again and starts for the woods. Still too far for a shot. It staggers into the woods and a single shot. I see he go down. I walk to the deer and the guy that shot it was in the process of gutting it.
The guy says, “When the deer stopped and you shot I seen it was hit hard and figured you had him.” But when it started back towards the woods there was no way I could get a shot with you out in the field.”
“When it got into the woods and out of your line of sight I finished it off.”
My boolit went into its chest and into the lungs.
He offered the deer to me but I declined because he was not gutting it to my satisfaction.

outdoorfan
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Sorry to hear that. Did you recover the bullet? I can hardly believe a deer would live that long after being hit solidly in the chest.

home in oz
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Interesting story.

Hickory
11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear that. Did you recover the bullet? I can hardly believe a deer would live that long after being hit solidly in the chest.

Did not think to recover the boolit.
I was watching this guy gut the deer,
and after he cut the bladder, I lost interest
real quick. I did notice that the boolit went low on the lungs,
which accounts for why it did not die quicker.
If I had hit it higher his lungs would have filled up with blood.
But as it was the blood ran out the bottom of the lungs and it could still breath.

outdoorfan
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I see. The bladder issue is gross...a sure pisseroffer in my book.

ZombieHitman
11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Ewwwww...Dude must have been a WHIZ at cleaning deer....I'd have been pizzed off too!
Might have gone so far as to call him YELLOW!
Sorry, had to be said...

huntinmo
11-29-2010, 08:40 PM
When are you going after the big one?

giz189
11-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Never to far for a follow up on a wounded deer unless it is not a safe shot. IMO.

Dennis Eugene
11-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Dang tough break. Some of them bucks just don't want to give up. Hit hard and already dead but refusing to die. Decent of the other guy to offer you the buck. Alot of guys wouldn't have. Dennis

IridiumRed
11-30-2010, 05:23 AM
+1

I give the guy an "F" for field dressing ability, but an "A" for being gentlemanly. That was nice of him to offer the deer to you

winelover
11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
I can hardly believe a deer would live that long after being hit solidly in the chest.

You'd be surprised at how much killin a deer can absorb. Years back, I was walking into to my prefered hunting spot and as I rounded a huge pine a deer was walking towards me. Went down on one knee and shot it in the chest with a 12 guage slug. Deer took off running making a god-awful sound. There was a threat of rain so the wife and I went to tracking it right away. When we came upon the deer it was trying to get away. Used the wife's 45 LC BH and cast boolet to finish it off. Didn't want to put another 12 guage hole in it. The original shot went in the center of the chest and veered off and broke almost every rib on one side.:groner:

Another time, the wife was using a 243W and J-words and shot a doe she claimed was broadside. Evening was approaching and by the amount of blood we saw we didn't think it went too far. We went back to camp got rid of the guns, picked up the lanterns, change out of our hunting outfits and got to tracking. Tracked that deer for a while and but kept hearing it get up just ahead of us. Decided to come back the next morning so as not to push it off the 40 acres, frost was expected overnight. Found that deer up against the fence line and I didn't need a knife to gut it!:holysheep That J-word came apart and split the deer wide open. Bought her a 308 after that and relegated the 243 for varmenting.

Winelover