PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Lugnutz
10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Ok guys give me your thoughts. I'm waiting on a bbl from OTT in 35 cal. It is braked and I have heard that gas checks and brakes dont mix well. So, how hard can you push a cast without a gas check??

I wish I had joined sooner, I see a group buy on 180 gr 35cal mold...sigh...don't matter cause I"m broke now anyhow LOL. Gotta love custom guns!!!

9.3X62AL
10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Lug--

I wish I had a good answer for ya, but I have ZERO experience with brakes--on rifle barrels, at least. With six daughters between my wife and I--all of whom drive now--I am a master of automotive brake system repair and replacement.

Mostly, I wanted to welcome you to The Asylum--and compliment you on your signature line, too. I reminds me of Ammohead's response to folks who think cast boolits aren't good for hunting--"Seen many buffalo lately?"

Lugnutz
10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey Al thanks for the welcome. 45Nut introduced me to this sometime around Jan. I'm just now getting interested in the possibilities.

Lugnutz
10-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Ok I'll figure out how to post soon I swear!! Thanks for the welcome Al. Its all Ken's fault

Bent Ramrod
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Lugnutz,

Welcome to the Board. I have a Model 70 .270 WCF with the BOSS device which also incorporates the holes for the muzzle brake. I shoot a fair amount of cast in it, all gas checked, and have never found anything untoward happening. There is a gray deposit of vaporized lead on the outside and in the holes after a shooting session, but this does not seem to build up and cleans off easily.

The Win likes the 280468, with Hornady gas check. I haven't measured velocities, but would guess this is around 1400 ft/sec.

crazy mark
10-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Lugnutz,
I shoot a 14" 30-30 and 7-30 waters that have factory muzzle brakes on them.
No problem with GC's and like bent ramrod said only a little gray in the ports that clean up easily. I don't like PB cast in my T/C's as I use them hunting and am in need of speed. Mark

AZ-Stew
10-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Lug,

I recently purchased (God only knows why) a Taurus titanium .41 Magnum that's factory ported. It accumulates lead in the milled recess above the ports after firing plain-based Kieth style SWCs, but there have been no problems other than the cleaning chores.

I also have a T/C Contender with a 16" 45-70 barrel that I had MagnaPorted. I've fired a number (several hundred) of cast, gas checked bullets through it with no problems. YMMV, but I don't see why they'd be a problem, as long as there aren't any burrs in the bore.

Regards,

Stew

454PB
10-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Don't tell my Taurus Raging Bull that it's not supposed to like gas checked boolits, I've put a pile of them through it.

9.3X62AL
10-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Most of my rifle loads use gas checked boolit designs. Two exceptions are the 44-40 WCF (in a Win '73) and the 45-70 (in a Ruger #1). The 44-40 never gets run faster than 1200 FPS with ANY boolit/bullet, and the 45-70/plain base speed limit is about 1350 FPS. That limit is not due to past leading behavior, it's just conservative loading practice because a dislike leaded barrels even more than I dislike case trimming--and that's saying something.

tall grass
10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Lugnutz

Jeff223's Lee 360-180-3 crimp group buy is still running. But its not one of those "you're going to need a gas check for this boolet" type molds though. Anyway we need a few more folks in on this one so Jeff can get it sent to Lee. As far as the c360-180-rf, group buys are poping up about every year. I got in on the second run, makes a nice boolet.

Wellcom to the forum

Jim

JohnH
10-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Lugnutz, How fast depends completely upon the barrel, and each barrel is a universe unto it's self. I've a TC 375 JDJ 26" rifle tube that will shoot gas checked boolits as hard as I can stand the recoil. 1700-1900 is no problem. However, the barrel will not shoot a plain base boolit with any kind of repeatable accuracy at any velocity. I had an NEF 38-55 that would shoot plain base to 1500 before accuracy fell off. How fast? Only your barrel knows for sure.