PDA

View Full Version : LEE 10#er spout drillin

GP100man
11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Has anyone drilled out the spout to get qwiker flow ????

I`m thinkin `bout the size of a Lyman ladle ???

kbstenberg
11-27-2010, 09:41 PM
GP100 it sounds like a good idea if you are going to only cast large volume bullets. But some day you mite get the bug to start casting 22cal. bullets. An your stuck with a pot that will fill a cavity in half a second
I don't want to rain on your parade. SORRY
Kevin

lwknight
11-28-2010, 03:09 AM
I drilled my #20 out only slightly because I need to clean it and the closest drill that I had was a few 1/1000 over. It did make the stream a lot smoother and without the turbulence I got less dross inclusions. Evidently a turbulent stream is worse to oxidize on the way to the mold.

GP100man
11-28-2010, 08:25 AM
I drilled my #20 out only slightly because I need to clean it and the closest drill that I had was a few 1/1000 over. It did make the stream a lot smoother and without the turbulence I got less dross inclusions. Evidently a turbulent stream is worse to oxidize on the way to the mold.

I think I`ll start with just a good cleanin & maybe clearing the spout of any burrs or nicks that maybe causing turbulances while pouring , oxidized spots on boolits is a problem I have !

shotman
11-28-2010, 08:46 AM
put some sand in the pot and spin the drop pin with a drill will clean and mate both parts. your spots are from dirty lead need to flux more and skim offen

smokemjoe
11-28-2010, 10:02 AM
I knew a fellow that done it once and it wasnt a good idea.I just clean up my RCBS when the flow isnt very heavy.

casterofboolits
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I have drilled out the pour spouts on my RCBS 10 Kilo pots approx. .005. Note: This will cause a small burr on the inside of the spout. Cleaned this out with a Lyman tool for removing the burr inside the flash hole of cartridge cases. Then lapped the inside of the spout with the valve mandrel and valve grinding compound. Mounted the mndrel in my hand drill to do the lapping.

dragonrider
11-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Yes I have drilled a ten pound spout, You do know that the hole is not verticle, but is drilled at an angle through the spout. Just don't make it bigger than the end of the valve stem.

GP100man
11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Well every 4th pot I clean my pot , & when smelting in small batches I flux & stir 4 times even the clean isotope containers & 2 times before starting with a mold !!

My problem is not the drippin , I solved that with lappin the plunger in & hanging a small set of vise grips on the handle .

The problem is I believe dragonrider hit it !!

It`s not vertical !!!!& ya loose a little straight down pressure !!!

Time to step up to a 20# I guess ???

The problem is I traded for a Lachmiller mold with no vents except for the mold parting lines & 2 lines cut across .

I can`t get a good fillout with the 10#er , but perfect boolits with the ladle !!

I tried temp, alloys & all the different ways to fill the mold , but I guess this mold was made when there was no bottom pours around !!

Is the 20#er spout vertical ????

dragonrider
11-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes it is