PDA

View Full Version : 223 wssm

reloader28
11-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Anybody else trying this caliber for cast boolits?

After being very disapointed in my 257 Roberts today, I thought I'd give this one a go. 60gr Seaco oven heat treated WW and am trying IMR4198 right now. I'm fairly surprised so far. Not great, but around 1 1/4 groups at 50yds from 2300-2500fps so far.

Might do some hotter loads tomorrow since it got dark on me tonight. I should've known it would. It did the same thing last night right around this time.;)

Anyway, the groups aint fell apart so I dont know how hot I can go yet. My lube is still working so far as I can tell from the lube splatter on the target. 50/50 beeswax/alox that I made and then added 10% parafin.

This is way better so far than I expected, so I'm happy.

Anybody else tried it?
What was your results?

runfiverun
11-27-2010, 09:59 PM
just the regular 223 with the rcbs 55 gr.
b-wax-parrafin, white lith grease, moly and carnuba lube.
i have used my regular load of aa-2230 for jaxketed with excellent results at 100 yds.
[under 2"] and 2400.
my next try will be to soften the lube up some and a slower powder.

MT Gianni
11-28-2010, 05:49 PM
just the regular 223 with the rcbs 55 gr.
b-wax-parrafin, white lith grease, moly and carnuba lube.
i have used my regular load of aa-2230 for jaxketed with excellent results at 100 yds.
[under 2"] and 2400.
my next try will be to soften the lube up some and a slower powder.

What alloy Lamar?

runfiverun
11-28-2010, 10:09 PM
straight linotype.

for this winter i just made some up with 4% tin and 6% antimony, made by mixing straight lead and linotype 50-50, plus 2% tin AND water dropped. not sure if this is gonna help or not but it couldn't hurt.

my 223 is the ruger varmint target model with the 1-14 twist which helps a lot.
i have a heck of a time keeping that rcbs mold hot though.
i have to start out with the mold so hot the lead won't harden.
and if i want exceptional accuracy i have to cull those little buggers before during and after sizing.
it's kind of fun to shoot the steel bowling pins at 300 yds, and seeing the lead spatter. but there is absolutely no reaction to the pins at all.
and then hearing this little ting come drifting back down range.

at least i don't have to walk down there and stand them back up.

also for the winter i am trying a bit of tranny fluid in the lube mix to keep it softer.
we'll see which way it goes.
I'll try that compared to the regular lino and the old lube.
then the new alloy and both lubes as another baseline.
i still haven't decided on another powder yet, as i still have some shooting to get done with the
aa-2230.

greg from malad sent me some ideas that worked for him, and i might go that way, but i hate to buy another pound of powder with so many on hand now.
i have gotten several 10 shot groups right over a half inch with this rifle and jaxketed so i know the accuracy's there, i just need to keep picking at it.