PDA

View Full Version : Chamber cast substitutes?

bkbville
11-27-2010, 02:56 AM
I found (maybe in here someplace) the following as a recipe to pour chamber castings:

2 oz. of Sulfur
3 oz. of Powdered Lampblack
3 drops oil of Camphor

Sulfur's not a problem, but are there substitutes for lampblack and oil of camphor???

crabo
11-27-2010, 10:40 AM
And what will you do when you find out your substitute doesn't work quite as well as you hoped?

Reg
11-27-2010, 10:51 AM
You really don't even need the lampblack or camphor. Lampblack will only make the casting black and camphor ??
Just plain sulfur has always worked very well.

:brokenima

Reg

XWrench3
11-27-2010, 10:54 AM
i have wondered about getting various "weird" chemicals and compounds before several times. it is not like you can go to the pharmacy or farm store to get this stuff. some things you can get on e-bay, but not always. what we need is a "Radio Shack" of chemicals and compounds! where you can purchase small quanities of unusual stuff. so, there you go, unemployed or retired chemist with a few bucks in the bank, start on on-line store and advertise on places like this and make some extra cash.

BAGTIC
11-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I have been using the same piece of Cerrosafe for over 30 years. It is quick, easy, clean, durable, etc., etc.

What was the question again

blackthorn
11-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Sulfur and Graphite! (10 to 30% on the graphite) Forget the Camphor!

JeffinNZ
11-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Sulfur and Graphite! (10 to 30% on the graphite) Forget the Camphor!

That's what I use. I got hold of a business that cuts carbon brushes for electric motors and they sent me 2lb of graphite for not much $$$. 2lb of graphite would see most of this board out I might add. It's lots.

abunaitoo
11-29-2010, 03:36 AM
I've never tried this, but it sounds like a good idea.
Any ideas on where I might look to get some graphite????
Could something else be substituted????
Is the graphite just for color, or does it have some other use???

NoZombies
11-29-2010, 03:42 AM
The graphite also helps to stabilize the compound, and makes the cast easier to remove.