PDA

View Full Version : Acronyms

stainless1911
11-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I see everyone using a great deal of acronyms on this site, myself included. That said, is there a thread for acronyms? IMO, if there isn't a sticky on them, there probably should be one.. Thanks.

camaro1st
11-26-2010, 06:11 PM
ikr lol

TonyM
11-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I think this is a great idea... it's irritating having to google search them, and god forbid there is more than one context for one...

montana_charlie
11-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Since we are 'speaking' to each other to trade information, I suggest we actually continue to 'talk'.
That would encourage 'us' to leave the 'texting' to people who just can't live five minutes without sharing their most recent thought with everybody they know.

CM

11-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I find texting acronyms to be inconsiderate and annoying. There are many threads that I refuse to read, because of them.

Misspellings and typos are easily overlooked, we are only human.

waksupi
11-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I think there is a thread covering them. You just have to hunt it down!

montana_charlie
11-26-2010, 09:16 PM
There are many threads that I refuse to read, because of them.
With no indicator in the thread title, I sometimes get suckered into reading some.
But, I ceretainly refrain from responding.

If I have to learn 't-lingo' to ask for more information about the topic of discussion, it's certainly something I can live without.
If it is a subject that I could actually contribute to, I'll wait until it's beng discussed in English before trying to formulate an input.

CM

mpmarty
11-26-2010, 09:47 PM
The trouble with acronyms is there are too many TLAs for FLAs (Three Letter Acronyms for Four Letter Acronyms) the stupidity just keeps growing. Texting shortcuts are a prime example of lazy minds.

hoosierlogger
11-26-2010, 10:10 PM
The only one you need to know is

SWMBO= she who must be obeyed.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Well I'll be darned! I always wondered what that meant. That would never work for me but at least I know what it stands for.

tonyjones
11-26-2010, 11:34 PM
SWMBO???? I'm happily divorced and don't get it.
Tony

Jack Stanley
11-27-2010, 12:08 AM
I never typed untill I got a computer so when I started reading all the condensed letters that are supposed to mean something . I determined that it would be beneficial for me to not use acronyms and instead type things out fully . That way I would get practice and others would know exactly what I meant . When I get tired I get sloppy and sometimes I don't spell correctly and punctuation goes in the trash . That's what I get for using what I was taught years ago instead of spell check

I do hope I'm just a touch better at this writing business than your average cabbage head :-)

Jack

fryboy
11-27-2010, 12:43 AM
you mean things like FWFL or FWWFL and Pb ? and even FRB or MFRB or USPS etc et al

the best i know is is actually this link

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

it really doesnt matter to me if a man drives the rough five mile road or the smooth 20 mile road if they end up safely at their destination ( the same destination i hasten to add from the same starting point ) , it doesnt make the 5 mile bumpy road guy any lazier than the 20 mile smooth road guy but at a speed of 2O MPH for both the bumpy road guy can use the extra 45 minutes for what ever

stainless1911
11-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Acronyms only save time when people know what you're talking about.

I use them too, I spend a lot of time on the open carry forums, we use acronyms alot there. There is a thread there about acronyms, but they never stickied it, so it keeps getting brought up. It is where I got the idea of making a sticky out of it. If this gets stickied, then we should all contribute to a solid acronym list. When a newb sees a post like" IANAL, but there is no OC in a PFZ without a CPL in MI," they can get lost pretty quickly.

stainless1911
11-27-2010, 12:46 AM
I Am Not A Lawyer, but there is no Open Carry in a Pistol Free Zone without a Concealed Pistol License in Michigan.

geargnasher
11-27-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm sorry for all that can't handle acronyms. I'm not going to spell out "Water Quenched Wheel Weight Plus Two Percent Tin" if you can't figure out the acronym I use in the context of the post. That is NOT a text-message shortcut, it's hobby jargon. We should all know what IMO or IMHO or IIRCs or IDK means, and perhaps even TEOTWAWKI and WTSHTF if you're into advanced acronym comprehension. Oh, as has already been mentioned, the meaning of SWMBO should be required knowledge in any boy's club.

Gear

stainless1911
11-27-2010, 03:00 AM
I can figure out most acronyms, and both use them myself, ans support their use, but a simple reference sticky, where we can post the acronyms, or, more importantly, go there and ask what a certain acronym means, would simply be an asset to this site, and its users.

BTW, what does SWMBO mean, something about smi wadcutters? And TETOWAWKI?

I too have 3K+ posts on my favorite forum, and sometimes my posts read more like military shorthand, than plain english, so I get where you are coming from. Im just trying to benefit folks here.

obssd1958
11-27-2010, 03:34 AM
I can figure out most acronyms, and both use them myself, ans support their use, but a simple reference sticky, where we can post the acronyms, or, more importantly, go there and ask what a certain acronym means, would simply be an asset to this site, and its users.

BTW, what does SWMBO mean, something about smi wadcutters? And TETOWAWKI?

I too have 3K+ posts on my favorite forum, and sometimes my posts read more like military shorthand, than plain english, so I get where you are coming from. Im just trying to benefit folks here.

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
TEOTWAWKI = The End Of The World As We Know It
WTSHTF = When The Stuff Hits The Fan

AaronJ
11-27-2010, 03:53 AM
as a fairly new member i also belive a list should be compiled and made a sticky

stainless1911
11-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks, so, what you are really trying to say is, : WTSHTF it is TEOTWAWKI because it is SWMBO, OMG, I knew it was true. ROLFLMAO :D

hoosierlogger
11-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks, so, what you are really trying to say is, : WTSHTF it is TEOTWAWKI because it is SWMBO, OMG, I knew it was true. ROLFLMAO :D

Now that is funny right there.

DIRT Farmer
11-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I worked as a EMT/P it was required to learn medical short hand, ie U/A f 6Yo C/O P l L (leg) (key boards don't have all of the symbles) ICO GLM (with) + 4 (legs) P @ 9/10.

A complete report could be written much faster and off to the next run.

Bret4207
11-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Amazing thing, that search feature-

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26743&highlight=acronyms

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3857&highlight=acronyms

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34999&highlight=acronyms

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32580&highlight=acronyms

mdi
11-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Since we are 'speaking' to each other to trade information, I suggest we actually continue to 'talk'.
That would encourage 'us' to leave the 'texting' to people who just can't live five minutes without sharing their most recent thought with everybody they know.

CM
Yep. I can type complete words (with two fingers since the "accident"), if I know how to spell 'em8-).

I think it would be difficult to find a list because our acronyms deal with casting/lubing/shooting lead boolits almost entirely. Perhaps someone could take on that project? Or we could slow down a bit and spell out the words.

Here's one I like though; AAAAU. American Association Against Acronym Use!

hardcase54
11-27-2010, 12:58 PM
And if you are really interested go here.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

runfiverun
11-27-2010, 01:08 PM
the problem with text stuff is the acronymn's i learned were in the military.
the post about the concealed carry read more like a rescue operation for a corporal in downtown detroit to me.
however the teotwawki post made perfect sense, and my wife who has studied medical stuff could read the post by dirt farmer pretty well.
stuff pertaining to the hobby i get, but......

dnepr
11-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I used to work in TLA hell as a mechanic , EFI, DOHC, VVTi , ACIS,ect and my girlfriend who is taking bussiness accounting has more of them than a normal person should be able to understand , so even though this is a hobby I think that it is technical enough that accronyms are going to part of it , and just like certain career choices they are just part of the landscape

montana_charlie
11-27-2010, 02:33 PM
as a fairly new member i also belive a list should be compiled and made a sticky

...most fairly new members propably agree...
...it is among fairly new members where you will find the greatest number who can't (or won't) capitalize, punctuate, or spell...

Using acronyms that apply to government 'alphabet agencies' is something we all do, and only rarely do we not know which department is being mentioned.
Then, the military and other (call it) 'specialized' jobs have a group of acronyms or acronym-like terms which apply to them...and many of those have become common in everyday speech. An example would be "ZULU time". It's not an acronym but it kinda looks like one.

But a sticky listing of 't-talk' acronyms is probably not a manageable option. I just used an on-line 'acronym finder' to search out the meaning of "lol"...the most ubiquitous of them all.
Look how many possibilities it returned for that single term.
http://www.acronymfinder.com/LOL.html

I think our 'sticky' should just contain a link to acronymfinder.com and let the searcher take his pick of possibilities.

Meanwhile, I will do my best to write in a manner that leaves the reader aware of what I am trying to tell him...without translation into a different 'language'.

CM

stainless1911
11-27-2010, 02:44 PM
The stickies are by design, geared towards the new-b's.

Finster101
11-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I pretty much left acronyms when I left the Army. Still remember the regimental commanders Forward Area Reconnaissance Truck (FART) though :smile:

Good Cheer
11-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Acronyms...the sun should never shine upon them.

Jack Stanley
11-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Montana Charlie , I'm with ya . I'll slow down and do it right without confusion rather than lead someone astray in the translation . I've gone back many times and edited my posts for spelling and punctuation so it would not be confusing . Some authors material is hard enough to follow I don't even try any longer , there is enough material on this forum I can find someone who writes what I can read .

Good Cheer , you have a good point .

Jack

ricksplace
11-27-2010, 10:19 PM
DAM. Mothers Against Dyslexia

Triggerhappy
11-27-2010, 10:39 PM
IDGARA, don't forget that one...

oldhickory
11-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I never typed untill I got a computer so when I started reading all the condensed letters that are supposed to mean something . I determined that it would be beneficial for me to not use acronyms and instead type things out fully . That way I would get practice and others would know exactly what I meant . When I get tired I get sloppy and sometimes I don't spell correctly and punctuation goes in the trash . That's what I get for using what I was taught years ago instead of spell check

I do hope I'm just a touch better at this writing business than your average cabbage head :-)

Jack

I agree, and I'm in the same boat.

Wayne Smith
11-27-2010, 10:45 PM
We love to talk about my wife's work - she's a geologist, employed by the Commonwealth, in a Federally required and sponsered probram -the LUST program. In fact, the EPA has annual regional LUST conferences around the country. LUST = Leaking Underground Storage Tanks - yup, if a plume of petrol product is found she is responsible to make sure the source is found and cleaned up.

She's been doing this for years and it hasn't done me a lick of special good!

BAGTIC
11-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Pb is not an acronym. It is an abbreviation.

stainless1911
11-27-2010, 11:24 PM
My jr. high school changed its name from pierce jr. high, to pierce middle school. I cant explain to you how much enjoyment we, as 6th graders got out of the school being called PMS!

fryboy
11-27-2010, 11:30 PM
" Acronyms and initialisms are abbreviations that are formed using the initial components in a phrase or name. These components may be individual letters (as in CEO) or parts of words (as in Benelux). There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the various terms (see nomenclature), nor on written usage (see orthographic styling). While popular in recent English, such abbreviations have historical use in English as well as other languages. As a type of word formation process, acronyms and initialisms are viewed as a subtype of blending "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism

RP
11-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Well I cant remember what some of them are even when I was told the day before. Took me awhile to learn the ones I do know and at is the easy ones like IDK or I dont know. So if use in chat and I cant remember and want to know I ask and if they get tired of me asking maybe they slow down on using them.

captain-03
11-28-2010, 12:13 AM
A list I compiled ----

http://www.msgunowners.com/general-firearms-discussion-f16/forum-acronyms-t2910.htm

a.squibload
11-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Took me a while to figure out "COW" (Cream Of Wheat), I always used pill bottle cotton.

I haven't seen this one yet: People of Inditerminate Sexual Status.
Not going to spell out the acronym.
Probably wouldn't get much use on this site but hey, that's funny right there.

stainless1911
11-28-2010, 01:14 PM
I call them sexually disoriented.

cajun shooter
11-28-2010, 01:17 PM
When I was a cop working in Narcotics Division we had a LT in Detective Division that formed a new squad to work in our high crime area's. He named it Felony Action Group. We went and ask him to give us the radio call sign's for the new unit as we used DD 10 would be a Dectective car. My car for Narcotics was N21 and so on. We then told him that the units would go by *** 20 and so on he about hit the floor. Ne never thought about the units being called *** division.A memo went out to all personal telling them that the new division will be called Felony Action Squad. No reason for the change was given.

a.squibload
11-28-2010, 07:37 PM
That's a big OOPS!

PS: I think I misspelled "indeterminate".

canyon-ghost
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Pb is lead, by the atomic chart. WW is wheelweight, ACWW is Air Cooled Wheelweight, WDWW is Water Dropped Wheel Weight. Other than that, I probably better ask. I usually do.

Gohon
11-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Pb is not an acronym. It is an abbreviation

Well............in my opinion those that insist on using it are just as bad and irritating as those with some of the acronyms. Spell it out....it's called lead. Of course you could be talking about peanut butter or maybe Petabit which Pb represents also, but then I haven't seen many conversations on here about units of information. But.............I suspect if I were to wish for a halt to it's use I'd just be SOL.

Does wikipedia have any ties to wikileak? [smilie=1:

Von Gruff
11-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Does wikipedia have any ties to wikileak? [smilie=1:

I cant figure out how that SOB from wikileaks is still on the loose.

Von Gruff.

DIRT Farmer
11-28-2010, 11:40 PM
In old English courts, the term rape was considered to course to use in legal discorse so they came up with the term , For unlawful carnal knowlage. In case you wondered where that one came from.

geargnasher
11-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Too coarse. Knowledge. :razz: I rarely complain about spelling because people feel insulted when I do, but it seems that I'm the last person on this forum that uses "too" where it needs to be and understands the difference between "of course", "coarse sandpaper", "golf course", "in the course of things", "that post was coarse", etc. Different words with different meanings. My other pet peeve is not knowing when to use "effect" and "affect". If folks want to complain about acronyms, at least work on your spelling.

Gear

MT Gianni
11-29-2010, 12:01 AM
In old English courts, the term rape was considered to course to use in legal discorse so they came up with the term , For unlawful carnal knowlage. In case you wondered where that one came from.

Neighbor sang the part of El Gallo in The Fantastics in High School. In the early 1900's rape was used in what we would now call an abduction.

Gohon
11-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Spelling? Shouldn't that be grammar? Stones....glass houses....ring a bell?

geargnasher
11-29-2010, 01:08 AM
I wasn't trying to throw stones, sorry if I came off that way. I was bringing up a point. This thread is a big gripefest about people using acronyms. What about spelling? Grammar? Punctuation? Doesn't that matter to anyone? I have had far more trouble trying to decipher terrible grammar and punctuation than ever I did with any acronyms used here. Maybe your experiences are different. Like I said, everyone gets insulted when I bring up spelling. It ain't a personal attack, it's a request. Use the spellchecker or the dictionary so the rest of us can figger out what you're trying to say.

BTW misspelled "grammar" once here, used an "e", I think it was Blammer who nailed me for it right away! Talk about touche'.

Gear

stainless1911
11-29-2010, 02:41 AM
It wasnt supposed to turn into something resembling a political race, I was just trying to add something useful to the forum that was nice to have on another.

DIRT Farmer
11-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I don't mind Gear, a lifetime of deslexea, I'm just glad what I type comes out where people can read it. There are times that spell check can't figure out what I have typed.

Gohon
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
My spelling, grammar, and sentence construction are simply terrible compared to some and yes, it does matter to me but I am what I am so like others, I do the best that I can. I think most people do the same so I never criticize anyone for their spelling or grammar. Well, almost never. Besides, at 67 it's a little late in the game for much of a improvement from me.

Most acronyms used on a board like this I understand and occasionally I do use them, as well as some of the old standard acronyms used back in the beginning days of computers. It's mostly the text messaging acronyms that gives me fits. In the first place I'm not sitting in front of a little three inch square box with a little screen and micro keyboard with a need for chopping up a sentence that fits on a postage stamp. In the second place I don't know what those acronyms mean anyway and I'm not going to stop and look them up. I generally just pass over those posts.

Spell checker........a Godsend for me but it also gets me in trouble at times.

Jack Stanley
11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Spellchecker ??? ........... fellas , I don't even know where that's at on a computer .

Gear , you posts are very easy for me to read and understand , one or two slips isn't something I'll get upet about . English class was never my best subject because I didn't know how to identify a hanging participle from an adverb .... still don't either . About the only salvation for me was I did like to read and by that I was able to learn how to get by .

While I could learn how to read texting/acronyms/other junk , after several years of having to listen to ghetto/jabber I try to aviod some things . I think most of the reason for that is while I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept a person is trying to tell me about , stopping to decipher code is not something I like to do . It's just too/to (:mrgreen:)simple to move along to something easier .

Isn't the word "too" sometimes used in place of the word "also" and when it is it's normally used at the end of a sentence ?? I dunno , but it always seemed odd when a sentence started with it .

Not trying to stir the pot fellas , Jack

BruceB
11-29-2010, 11:24 AM
" What about spelling? Grammar? Punctuation? Doesn't that matter to anyone? I have had far more trouble trying to decipher terrible grammar and punctuation than ever I did with any acronyms used here."
Gear[/QUOTE]

Amen Gear, Amen. It sure does matter to me!

mdi
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I wasn't trying to throw stones, sorry if I came off that way. I was bringing up a point. This thread is a big gripefest about people using acronyms. What about spelling? Grammar? Punctuation? Doesn't that matter to anyone? I have had far more trouble trying to decipher terrible grammar and punctuation than ever I did with any acronyms used here. Maybe your experiences are different. Like I said, everyone gets insulted when I bring up spelling. It ain't a personal attack, it's a request. Use the spellchecker or the dictionary so the rest of us can figger out what you're trying to say.

BTW misspelled "grammar" once here, used an "e", I think it was Blammer who nailed me for it right away! Talk about touche'.

Gear

Agreed, part of the dumbing down of America (DDOA). In another forum there was a post about 8 or 10 sentences long that had no capital letters, no periods, only a few spaces between words, and several misspellings. The poster was asking for load data, and I'd question his ability to reload by his example of commnicating. Another "dumbing down" is handwriting; my grandaughter chokes a pen or pencil down so tight and scrawls a bunch of illegible "printing", that she can only "write" a few words before her hand cramps up. But she can text with her thumbs at 90 words per minute!:veryconfu

felix
11-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, it dearly shows their level of education, and their desire to do something about it. It appears some folks are trying their best within their limitations, as evidenced by the repetition of the wrong word for the meaning in-hand. Monkey see, monkey do, however, is OK for the most part because that is how children learn first and foremost. But, this depends upon the first monkey being correct, and that is getting to be more of a wish as time goes on. As we all know, education is rapidly disappearing in this country, and I personally think it is by design. ... felix

montana_charlie
11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
It appears some folks are trying their best within their limitations, as evidenced by the repetition of the wrong word for the meaning in-hand. Monkey see, monkey do, however, is OK for the most part because that is how children learn first and foremost.
However, if the person really is interested in 'doing their best' he wouldn't get all snarky when somebody shows him the correct form.

CM

geargnasher
11-29-2010, 03:41 PM
I was trying to sleep last night. Mrs. Geargnasher finally asked me what was wrong, I told her I really stepped off in it on the forum and now everyone is going to think I'm a royal *******. Believe or not I try not to be, but sometimes don't succeed. She's dyslexic by the way, but you wouldn't know it because she dedicates a lot of energy to dealing effectively with the handicap. She reminded me of three things: One, lots of people really are doing the best they can so cut them some slack, although it's hard to tell handicap from laziness or fundamental lack of education sometimes. Two, there is no way to be critical of someone's communication skills without being regarded as a *******, especially since we don't really know each other very well by what we say in print. Three, stop trying to change the world. Well, she's right.

However, I reserve the right to be disgusted at ignorance, even more disgusted with apathy. I've seen under-equipped people do extraordinary things with what little was given to them when they want to better themselves, the want is the key. It is unfortunate that criticism generally is taken in a negative way, no matter how it's said. I tend to assume that what Monana Charlie said was true, no need to get defensive if you're really doing your best. I try not to let myself have the huffy attitude about being corrected, if someone corrects me we both win: He/she gets to feel good about being right and passing it on, and I get to learn something. It's called having an open mind, but the world is short on that and long on throwing insults, so insults are what we come to expect automatically.

As for acronyms, I'll make my point again here: In general, they can be overused, but within the context of this forum there are certain ones that most of us use all the time (covered in the thread link Bret pulled up) and I don't see why it's a problem. I like the idea of making it a sticky for the new guy who isn't familiar with what ACWW are and doen't remember the element abbreviations of the periodic chart. Sometimes a person has to take a little responsibility for their own education, like I did the time I opened a new window and "googled" SWMBO to find out what the heck it meant.

Gear

felix
11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
However, I reserve the right to be disgusted at ignorance, even more disgusted with apathy.

Gear

That is the problem we all face in this country. Again, it appears to be part of a world domination plan and there is very little ability amongst the troops to turn it around. The only consolation we have is "Prayer" and encouragement from that communication with the Boss and His assignees. ... felix

DIRT Farmer
11-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Ignorance; defination, The more I learn the less I know, as I learn new things it opens areas of ignorance I did not know I had.

I love to experermint with things, one of the first things I ask here was on the 6.5 CM. It was very close to the last time on this forum. There are a few areas I have worked very hard to learn in the shooting sports and feel my experience and records I have kept in more than 40 years might be of benifit to others. However I at times am very hesitant to share things as I don't care to spend time defending my posts. My way may not be the only way but I would not post if not only I but others have proven them. That being said, I am thankful that several here have taken their time and shared their experience. They have helped with the learning curve and hopefully as I started here reading, someone else will benifit even if they never post.

a.squibload
11-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I don't mind so much as part of the fun is deciphering others' scribblin'.
Gotta admit it took me a while to figure out what "WFFL", or "FWFL", or "FLWIWF"
(Felix Lube Which Is World Famous) means!
Spelling doesn't bother me that much either, I understand some typing is done
at a high rate in order to get it over with in a reasonable time.
(I washed my hands last night and can't do a thing with 'em.)

HOWEVER the run-on sentences with no stopping or starting can ruin a person's message
making it REALLY hard to understand. The subjects discussed here can be of
a teknickle nachur and it really wood help if the writer could separate the parts for us.

PS: I too am guilty of using "Preview Post" to edit my rambling posts, afraid of getting points counted off for mistakes!

montana_charlie
11-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Your post is fun to analyse.

I don't mind so much as part of the fun is deciphering others' scribblin'.
Two apostrophes in use, one showing possessivness of a plural and the other used to indicate ommission. Illustrates a solid understanding of that punctuation mark.

Gotta admit it took me a while to figure out what "WFFL", or "FWFL", or "FLWIWF"
(Felix Lube Which Is World Famous) means!
Spelling doesn't bother me that much either, I understand some typing is done
at a high rate in order to get it over with in a reasonable time.
(I washed my hands last night and can't do a thing with 'em.)
Use of 'gotta' to show you are just one of the boys...and one who appreciates a minor shortcut once in a while.

HOWEVER the run-on sentences with no stopping or starting can ruin a person's message
making it REALLY hard to understand. The subjects discussed here can be of
a teknickle nachur and it really wood help if the writer could separate the parts for us.
The meat of your message enclosed here. Your criticism of inadequate writers is 'softened' a bit by using some phonetic spelling and a common homophone to lessen the discomfort of those 'hooked on phonics' graduates who know what a 'dot' is...but never heard of a 'period'.

PS: I too am guilty of using "Preview Post" to edit my rambling posts, afraid of getting points counted off for mistakes!
I bet you don't lose many...

CM

Jack Stanley
11-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Gear , don't sweat it , you're right in what you say about overuse . I don't believe you stepped into this any more than stompin' a mud daubers nest . The daubers don't like it but you can run faster than they can [smilie=s:Besides you still have a right to an opinion here just like everyone else .

Montana Charlie just proves to me once again that there are others here with a much better grasp of the language than I . Ah bin goin' over it in muh haid an ah nevr did figger out wy ah put a slash mark on sum wurds but there he go an call it uh "punctuation" mark . Ah alus jus put hit thar cuz ah seent hit thar afore . Thanks missr Charlie !!! As long as folks like you are here , there is a good example of the language and how to express it properly .

Jack

geargnasher
12-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Yeah, Charlie, "omission" only has one "m"! Don't get me started on use of the apostrophe, folks who don't know when to use "it's" or "its", and indicate possession instead of the pleural (for cryin' out loud, the freakin "S" means PLEURAL!).....I'm goin' to bed. I mean I "gotta" go to bed. Gotta feel like one of the boys, you know! :kidding:

Gear

btroj
12-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Gear, I promise not to correct you on spelling or grammar. My wife and daughter would kill me, I'm the worst speller in the family.
I do not like all the acronyms. Some are common enough that MOST here know what they mean. But some seem to want to type entire posts in abbreviations. Hard as all get out to understand a dang thing they say.
Communication is too important to not want to do right. If I think you are an idiot based upon your communication skills I am likely to discount anything you have to say on most any subject. Sorry, I just don't trust people who come across as morons.
It drives me nuts at work to listen to people talk about these ones or those ones. Unless you have a stack of dollar bills what are these ones?

Cadillo
12-06-2010, 01:00 AM
It took many years to develop the English language, and it's interesting to see how quickly some people rush to reduce it to unintelligible gibberish, thinking that to do so is a display of higher intelligence.

If someone were indeed trying to effectivley communicate an idea, they would make an effort to make themselves understood rather than trying to impress someone with their ability to use some made up encoded clubmembers only language.

nanuk
12-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Ignorance; defination, The more I learn the less I know, as I learn new things it opens areas of ignorance I did not know I had.

I love to experermint with things, one of the first things I ask here was on the 6.5 CM. It was very close to the last time on this forum. There are a few areas I have worked very hard to learn in the shooting sports and feel my experience and records I have kept in more than 40 years might be of benifit to others. However I at times am very hesitant to share things as I don't care to spend time defending my posts. My way may not be the only way but I would not post if not only I but others have proven them. That being said, I am thankful that several here have taken their time and shared their experience. They have helped with the learning curve and hopefully as I started here reading, someone else will benifit even if they never post.

Dirt: I thank you for your input. I have been reading up on Casting and PP for some time now. recently "Joined" vice lurking so I could ask a question or three.
one thing I noticed early on. there are numerous opinions and techniques in use. Some seem to follow what I've read in NRA books, and Matthew's books. Others not.

don't stop

nanuk
12-06-2010, 04:39 AM
<snip> (for cryin' out loud, the freakin "S" means PLEURAL!).....I'm goin' to bed. I mean I "gotta" go to bed. Gotta feel like one of the boys, you know! :kidding:

Gear

Gear:
form MedicineNet dot com
Definition of Pleural
Pleural: Pertaining to the pleura, the thin covering that protects the lungs. The term "pleural" is pronounced like "plural" (but does not have plural meanings).

hehe.. sorry.. Aw jess cood'n resiss...

oh.. and I respect your experience.
( I almost failed my GR12 Comp. Our teacher never placed a lot of importance on composition skills)

FLDad
12-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Very useful post, Mr. Slowhand. Worth printing for reference!

This has been a fascinating thread, but I won't venture an opinion because those who do, do and those who don't, don't. I doubt that anyone's habits will change.

And with military acronyms being mentioned, I'm surprised no one mentioned NOMFWIC!

Jack Stanley
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
nanuk , he he he he ....... y'all jes hadda whump un ol' Gear dinya hat pour ol' feller bin worrd out wit gahs try t' beat him anewun ahn yew steps up an beets hon'im smor hah newd hit wus hawrd trahin' tew rsist cuz ah bin holtin back msef buht sumtahm yjes gahta leht go don yuh :drinks:

I enjoyed your pun nanuk :)

Jack

geargnasher
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Consider me "whumped". Part of the problem with being partially but insufficiently educated in too many different subjects can result in remembering the wrong spellings. Pleural/plural is a perfect example! Well, now I know, thanks!

Gear

Beerd
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM
A little off the subject, but not too far, someone once told me "It is not enough to make a document easy to read, it must also be difficult to misunderstand".

montana_charlie
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
A little off the subject, but not too far, someone once told me "It is not enough to make a document easy to read, it must also be difficult to misunderstand".
Boy! That statement applies perfectly to our Constitition.
It takes a group of highly educated lawyers to properly misunderstand it.
CM

home in oz
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
DRT is a good one to use when you are shooting at your deer-that means you dont have to track it.....

a.squibload
12-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Don't worry Gear. I think I read this here:

Nobody's perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore I am perfect.

My new mantra!

nanuk
12-07-2010, 05:30 AM
nanuk , he he he he ....... y'all jes hadda whump un ol' Gear dinya hat pour ol' feller bin worrd out wit gahs try t' beat him anewun ahn yew steps up an beets hon'im smor hah newd hit wus hawrd trahin' tew rsist cuz ah bin holtin back msef buht sumtahm yjes gahta leht go don yuh :drinks:

I enjoyed your pun nanuk :)

Jack

Heh Heh.... Love it!

I had a good belly laugh!
Thanks Jack

Jack Stanley
12-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm glad I could hep ya sum .

Jack

nanuk
12-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Jack
yep, bud ya daresn't be doo'n muh nuh rib pokin' now. Caws'n Uhs at werk, an 'em planes un such doan much 'preeshate muh guffawin' wenst uh shud buh cawn-trollin'.

303Guy
12-08-2010, 04:41 AM
... identify a hanging participle from an adverb ... Are they edible?:roll:

Jack Stanley
12-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Saute'd in garlic and real butter we could try it out on little brother first .

Jack

nanuk
12-09-2010, 02:27 AM
I always have to be careful, cause I've been known to leave my participle dangling when out in public.

a.squibload
12-10-2010, 03:44 AM
Nice out, isn't it?

Yeah, think I'll leave it out.