PDA

View Full Version : 310 Martini Cadet

linus
11-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I saw some older posts on this caliber and rifle but nothing recent.
I have two BSA cadets. One is in the original 310 caliber and the other was rechambered to 32-20. One is in the original as issued condition. The 32-20 i restocked in walnut and had installed a PH peep with a front aperture. LBT made me a gascheck 100 gr mold that casts about.319 with wheelweights. I size it to .318 for the .316 groove diameted of the barrel. It shoots absolutely wonderful. everybody loves it when i bring it to the range.
The one in 310 gave me fits at first with severe leading problems until i used a pure lead bullet, and the leading went away. Apparently the harder bullet was not obturating well allowing gas cutting. I use CBE's 120 grain mold, and a fine mold it is. i lube the bullets by rolling them in Lee's liquid alox diluted with alcohol then standing them up on wax paper to dry. My best loads have been 5.0 and 5.5 gr of AA9 followed by 4.5 gr of Unique.
I would be interested in hearing from other Martini cadet shooters. Anyyone have one out there they want to sell?

Linus

joebrotch
11-28-2010, 02:59 PM
PM me.

Bent Ramrod
11-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I use the Group Buy boolit that went out a year or two back. Lube is Lee Liquid Alox, with one cannelure groove done with a CH cannelure tool. The heels of the boolits are a press fit into Bertram brass expanded in my rifle's chamber. It does about 3" at 100 yards for five shots with either 4 gr of Unique or 7 grains of 2400, not bad for the rudimentary sights it has. Mine shoots about 3" to the right with these loads, but pretty well on for elevation. I've noticed no leading.

NoDakJak
11-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I also use the group buy boolit. My cases are 32-20 that have been trimmed and rims thinned. Cases are sized in Lee 32-20 dies and then slightly belled with a taper punch. Boolits are partially seated and then completed with a press that used to be used for making badges. I have also used a slightly modified nut cracker and a bottle capper for seating and they work well. Lubing is very simple. I simply take a dab of JPW between the fingers of my right hand, stick the loaded boolit between the thumb and fingers and give it a twist. I can lube fifty rounds in just several minutes. I have not had any leading. Testing at this time has been limited to several hundred rounds. Highest velocity has been with 2400 but so far the powder to beat for accuracy has been 231. My only problem encountered so far is if I bell the case slightly too much and have trouble seating rhe loaded round in the chamber. I have purchased a Lee belling die to provide a bit more preciscion. I believe that this will cure the problem. These boolits certainly do not need to be crimped in my case, boolit combination. Hopes this helps. Neil

swamp
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I found that if the flare on the case mouth prevents full chambering I run the loaded round into the size die just enough so the round chambers.

swamp

linus
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
I have not heard of the Quick Buy bullet. Is this something on the market? I use CH dies for loading the 310 and have had no problem with having to overflare the case mouth to seat the bullets. Actually, even full length resized I can press the bullet into the case.

curator
11-29-2010, 10:34 PM
I have one each of Martini Cadet rifles, One .32-20 and the other, .310 Greener. I shoot boolits made with a CBE mould, a 120 grain heeled slug, .311 on the heel and .323 on the front band. I cast all from air cooled wheel weight alloy and tumble lube with Lee liquid alox. I have not used the Ozstrailian die set for many years since it is just as easy to pop out the spent primer with the Lee Universal De-prime die, re-prime then load powder and thumb seat the boolit. Cases mostly last forever since they aren't resized and expanded for each firing. This also eliminated the necessity of removing the neck flare. The sticky LLA lube holds the slug in nice and tight as long as you don't tug on it. I get zero leading and great accuracy using 4.5 to 5 grains of Unique. These are great guns to introduce new shooters to centerfire rifle shooting.

whisler
11-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Linus said "I have not heard of the Quick Buy bullet."
I think you mean Group Buy. There is a forum here wherein members get together and buy specially designed molds as a group. Check the forum lists.