PDA

View Full Version : Wives

MakeMineA10mm
11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I've got a good one. She's a good mom, hard worker, staunch conservative, and supports my shooting/reloading/casting hobby.

Only problem with her is she doesn't quite understand why sometimes (not all the time!), it's more important for me to spend time with my '03 Springfields or M-1 Garands than her... :cry:

(sigh)

Thumbcocker
11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Every once in a while mine says "You need to go shoot". She understands me.

Shooter6br
11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Teach her to shoot. Then she will spend more time with the M-1 or Springfield than you. LOL. Mine says also "You need to shoot"

scrapcan
11-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I too fall in the class of "you need to go shoot".

Says that quite alot, sometimes it makes a fella wonder! All in jest though.

Tazman1602
11-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Mine gave up after 20 years. After 25 she said she wanted a handgun. I bought her some 'Smiths' etc and now she shoots with me. She said if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

............she got a 4 point already this year.........I'm getting ready to trudge back out in the snow to go hunting.............again...........<GRIN>

white eagle
11-26-2010, 03:36 PM
mine gets me w/w so I don't have to get them

MT Gianni
11-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Remind her that for most wives the scariest thing about retirement is their husband home full time. Tell her that you are just learning other interests so that won't happen.

Shooter6br
11-26-2010, 03:44 PM
True I was off work for a month. She said i followed her around like a "puggy dog' So both need separate hobbies. Dr Phil would approve I am sure!
Dont know what Ophra would say! LOL

ReloaderFred
11-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Mine tells me, "we need to go practice shooting more". Other times she'll ask if we have enough primers, powder and bullets? Been married to this one for 25 years, and she's just the opposite of the first one, thank the Lord!

Fred

HATCH
11-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Mine came home from shopping today. She was pissed off at me and said "why don't you go out to your shop for a couple hours"

WILCO
11-26-2010, 04:46 PM
She was pissed off at me.......

I don't have that problem. Been divorced many moons now. :p

elk hunter
11-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Mine married me, 41 years ago, because I took her hunting. We still hunt together, and she buys her own guns, and lets me buy what I want.

captaint
11-26-2010, 05:38 PM
I've been married to a great lady for 36 years now. She gets me and all that goes with me. And I get her too. She has her hobbies and they aren't free either!!
So, it all works out. When I tell her "I need my recoil fix", she knows I'm out the door. I bought her a nickel plated K frame Smith new in .357 25 years ago. She couldn't shoot it then cause she said the baby (inside) would hear the noise and get scared. Maybe she was right. Anyway, it still remains unfired. I'll get her out one of these days. enjoy Mike

EDK
11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
April of 95 I got 8 kids (6 of them grown and gone,) 20+ grand children and a cat with one "I do."

We've had our ups and downs, but pretty good most of the time. I have a 12X24 shed for the reloading stuff, with cable so I can watch Bill O'Reilly and other programs she doesn't like...she tolerates Mike Huckabee and Glenn Beck.

This year she asked what I wanted and then I ordered a holster for my long barreled VAQUERO from Bob Mernickle...hopefully here for Christmas. Todays mail brought me a DRAGOON trigger guard and 2 SBH hammer/trigger sets for the VAQUEROS from 2 Dogs...thanks for a DEAL! AND black powder boolit lube from a new supplier.

Since I got my *** worked on last week, I'm at home on sick leave...can't do any lifting. BUT I can cast a few boolits, do some reloading and stay out of her way while I watch some stuff on cable. It's a taste of retirement

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

winelover
11-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Mine is my Huntin & Fishin Partner. She has taken deer with both handgun(45LC BH) and bow. Makes me proud.

Winelover

MakeMineA10mm
11-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Remind her that for most wives the scariest thing about retirement is their husband home full time. Tell her that you are just learning other interests so that won't happen.

I really like the way that you think!!!!!! :bigsmyl2:

R.M.
11-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Teach her to shoot. Then she will spend more time with the M-1 or Springfield than you. LOL. Mine says also "You need to shoot"
For heaven sakes don't do that. I taught mine to shoot, and now she seems to think that if she's shot it, she owns it. There are very few in my safes that she hasn't shot.

jecjec13
11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
know what you mean, got a RH 44mag. awhile back, she fussed about the price. The first time she shot the gun it became hers just like my BH 45 colt and my winchester 94. The only guns I have that are mine are shotguns, she dont like those. All and all been together 34 years and still enjoy being together.

home in oz
11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Mine sent me out to the farm today to cut firewood.

nighthunter
11-26-2010, 11:04 PM
I also got a good one. The first time around too. Of course I had to walk a few other fellas home to convince them that she was spoken for. We'll be married 40 years in a couple of months. She has never once complained about my casting, reloading, shooting or hunting. I'm retired now and I have plenty to do that keeps out from under her feet. She wanted to marry me when I was home on leave before heading to Viet Nam in 1971. Said if I didn't come home she would at least have my name. I couldn't have found a better woman to spend my life with.

Nighthunter

Ugluk
11-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I've figured out that I need to make a little effort now and then.. Flowers a few times a year and the occasional surprise household chores done that makes her a little happier. She needs to be appreciated. Then she makes me happy.

bearcove
11-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I've figured out that I need to make a little effort now and then.. Flowers a few times a year and the occasional surprise household chores done that makes her a little happier. She needs to be appreciated. Then she makes me happy.

Thats the ticket! Thanksgiving was wifes birthday. Didn't do T-day did birthday all day.

RP
11-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Mine dont care anything about guns hunting or reloading. I go with her shopping and follow her around like a kid pushing the kart. But I also carry her with me shopping and she follows me around at gun shows or gun shops just to keep it even lol. It works out ok I look for stuff I can use for reloading and when shes with me shes looking at stuff she can use for EMT work. Kind of funny we both are getting things to use for something they were not intended for.

Tom-ADC
11-27-2010, 11:15 AM
I've got a good one. She's a good mom, hard worker, staunch conservative, and supports my shooting/reloading/casting hobby.

Only problem with her is she doesn't quite understand why sometimes (not all the time!), it's more important for me to spend time with my '03 Springfields or M-1 Garands than her... :cry:

(sigh)

Buy her a new 42 inch flat screen TV worked for me :bigsmyl2:

cajun shooter
11-27-2010, 11:49 AM
My wife and I met in 1971 while I was separated from my wife. We had about 6 months or so together before my wife came with our 4 yr old son asking me to come home. She had left me for another guy and I was not going to do it until my son said when are you coming home Daddy. Well I did and it did not work out. In 1997 she called me while I was working in Florida and told me she was leaving her husband. We had stayed in touch through the years. I told her when she was divorced to call me. She called in Jan. of 1998 and I came home and married her after all these years. She is one of the best women to be found. She is very pretty, cooks great and works while keeping a nice home. We do everything together, fish, shoot, camping and SASS. She even picks up my brass so that I don't have too. I have several medical problems at this time and with out her care and nursing I would have went on to the range with some other friends. I get up in the morning and she has my coffee ready and my meds on the counter ready to take. She also helps and gives me my insulin injections. We laugh and tell everyone we have been together since 1971. We think we have as our love for each other has never faded since that first meeting.

WILCO
11-27-2010, 04:17 PM
My wife and I met in 1971.....

Everyone loves a good "Love Story". Glad it worked out. [smilie=s:

WRideout
11-27-2010, 06:02 PM
I met Betsy seven years ago, when I was still getting myself established as a newcomer in SW PA. We hit it off right away, and one of our first dates was to teach her and her teenage daughter how to fish. Beth, my step daughter, has a bit of hyperactivity. I set her up with a bobber, no hook, and taught her how to cast with a Zebco. Then I went to teach Betsy, and coincidentally, make time with her. About every five minutes, Beth would get caught on something, and yell for me to come and help. After a bit, she started whacking things behind her, and breaking my bobbers. She broke five or six that day. I think that was when Betsy decided that If I didn't get scared off, I might have potential.

A year and a half later, when we were getting married, I was in the process of moving my stuff to her house; it made more sense for me to move there, than for her to move to my apartment in Pittsburgh. Among my possessions were a few cans of smokeless gunpowder, miscellaneous reloading tools, and quantities of loaded ammuntion, along with assorted firearms. She never balked at any of it. That was when I knew this marriage had long-term potential. She is truly the sweetest woman I have ever known, and we are devoted to each other. I taught her how to shoot, and we still go to the range occasionally.

Wayne

river-rider
11-27-2010, 07:11 PM
We have been married 13 years. I am 71 she is 76. We have a range 1/8 of a mile away down in the pasture. We like to plink with good guns. She really likes a "good trigger" i.e. target grade guns. She likes to shoot for 30 minutes then go back to the house. She puts up with 2 of our 3 bedrooms full of reloading stuff. You can not ask for much more. If it has a good trigger she likes it. I have reloaded some heavy calibers with wimp loads so she can shoot. If you can make it enjoyable for your wife to shoot it goes a long way.

Recluse
11-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Every once in a while mine says "You need to go shoot". She understands me.

+1

My wife knows when I need a little "me" time and she'll tell me I should go shooting or flying or "why don't you and the girl take the boat out."

Her and the nineteen-year-old are my shooting and flying buddies. Wife isn't as crazy about the boat as the kid is--by mid-summer, I should have her ready to take the boat out by herself with no worries.

She understands and follows the two non-negotiable rules of the boat: A), absolutely no booze whatsoever on the boat, ever. No second chance on that rule--I've emphasized that repeatedly. B) Unless you can swim better than me, you don't leave the boat to get into the water without a PFD (personal flotation device, aka lifevest) on and secure. No second chance on that one either.

:coffee:

RobS
11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
The wife puts up with me for my mania of casting, reloading and shooting. Once in a while she'll even go out with me and blow stuff up. :Fire: She's a revolver and lever action type girl so you can't go wrong with that. :-P

cbunt1
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I sometimes get frustrated with mine when she doesn't really understand the need for a few hours in the garage with the Sacred Stream...

But I remind myself that when she came into this relationship she knew nothing of guns, and would rather they didn't exist. Grew up in a pretty much "guns are bad" home. She was still willing to tolerate me and them...I insisted she at least shoot a couple of rounds to be familliar since they would be a part of the household...

Over time she's really gotten on board. Takes a good deal more interest in my hobbies than I even realized until recently. She actually knows the molds I use, the differences in the alloys and understands my preference for rolling my own!

She encourages me to spend time in the reloading room tinkering, has helped me document and sort a number of custom loads, and has fallen in LOVE with a couple of my .22's.

Unfortunately, all this led to an expensive taste in a first gun "all her own." She went and fell in love with an STI Rogue LOL

I always invite her to my range sessions--'specially the ones where I'm setting up the chrony and tinkering on the bench (you know--out there all day and maybe fire 25 rounds and come home with 300 scraps of paper and notes??) and sometimes she goes.

But her favorite is plinking on my Mom's back pasture w/the .22's and a few tin cans...so I'd say I did pretty good for myself!

Mumblypeg
11-29-2010, 11:38 PM
My wife is from Texas. I met her in a cornfield in Tenn. 15 years ago( A whole nuther story...). She came to visit me in S.C. about 6 months later and said she wanted to move here, she knew I'd never move to Texas, she's been here almost 15 years now. I taught her to "Make The Shot" first. She has never missed a deer. And she wacked a few! Kept me busy skinning. I have only had two people(women) buy me guns, she was one of them and the one she bought me is the best shooting rifle that I have ever owned (I have more that shoot maybe just as good). She took over several of my firearms as hers and she knows they are all ours now. She doesn't hunt much any more after shooting a nice 8 point wallhanger. She says I cast realy pretty boolits! Cooks good... I could go on and on... I'll keep her.

casterofboolits
11-30-2010, 09:43 AM
My wife and I will celebrate our 47th year of marriage this coming year. I met her in Japan while stationed at Stars and Stripes in the early 60's. She didn't know I was military until we decided to get married. S&S had a lot of civilians working there and we didn't wear uniforms unless we were going to a base or military function.

I informed her before we were married that there would be firearms in the house when we returned to the states. After an unfortunate incident in SE Asia, I was determined to learn how to use a hand gun. Almost blew off my right big toe trying to get a HiPower in action. I had fired a 1911 one time when I was 16, thats one round! :groner:

We lived with my parents for a year and she followed my Mother around learning to cook. She grew up with nannys, maids cooks, and yard workers. Then she married a po' a** country boy. Quite a shock for her! [smilie=l:

exile
11-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I was single until I was 39, thought happiness was just something for other folks. Met my wife one weekend, by the next we were engaged, 5 months later we were married. We have been married 12 years now, and she has stuck with me through hard times that would have driven other women away. I am thankful to God for her every day.

She was raised on a farm and her brother was a hunter, bench-rest shooter and a reloader, so she is pretty tolerant of those things. My wife is content with the little things and just seems happy to be loved. I could not ask for more.

exile

GRid.1569
11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
"you need to go shoot".

All I hear is "Go get Medals........"

A target shooters life is filled with demands....

1983 still counting... hope to keep counting for a L-O-N-G T-I-M-E yet......

"X" marks the spot.......... :-)

Von Gruff
11-30-2010, 05:32 PM
I was on my own for nearly fifteen years after my first marriage ended then met my wife in a grocery shop. Our first date was a 27hour talking session and we were engaged the next day, and married a couple of months later. That was twelve years ago and our life together is what I always thought a marriage shoud be. My shooting and all the atendant activities is part of who we are and she likes to come with me when I go after rabbits etc, not necessarily for the shooting but for the walk together. She has made my house our home and puts beautifully presented meals together for us. Yeah, I like this marriage thing.

Von Gruff.

Lively Boy
12-01-2010, 12:33 AM
when i brought home her walthers 22lr pistol in pink it became..."lets go plinking" I couldn't be happier! 20 years half of her life married. cool but she works days so i go out when she's at work. the weekends are her gun time. wouldn't have it any other way!

fatelk
12-01-2010, 01:58 AM
I was single until I was 39, thought happiness was just something for other folks.
I was a slow starter myself, single until 30. Absolutely glad I waited for the right one. She's well worth the wait. :)

She told me that she was asked a couple times before or shortly after we married if she was going to "make me get rid of all my guns". She said no, that's part of who I am and she had no interest in changing that. My folks and family always tell me what a good catch I made.