PDA

View Full Version : Fill?

Mill3rman3
11-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Ive heard people talk of adding a fill to a cartridge to sit in between the powder and boolit before. I can only think this is to either A.) hold the powder so it is more dense in the cartridge or B.) prevent a lean burn condition from a light load? Ive also heard of different types of fill used. Corn cob, Poly fill even cork. What is the general consensus for the best type of fill to be used and is it something that needs to be measured out just like powder? Is there a manual that this can be referenced from or is this just a trial and error type of thing?:killingpc

AzShooter
11-26-2010, 05:04 AM
You can safely use some fillers with Black Powder cartridges but with Smokeless you will increase the pressure of the load dramatically. Unless your loading manual tells you to use a filler stay away from it.

1Shirt
11-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Has always been a controversial subject. Some avoid fills like the plague, others swear by it, while the first group swears at it. Me, I use dacron fill for some ctgs when I use some powders. I use it in particular with 2400 when I load for 45-70. Lyman manuals used to recommend it. I also use it w/2400 in 444. Never had a problem, and my testing shows in those two for sure that it improves my accruacy. Does however as stated increase pressure. As to if it increases pressure dramaticly, guess that is how you define dramaticly.
1Shirt!:coffee:

crabo
11-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Here's a good discussion

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=98565

geargnasher
11-26-2010, 12:53 PM
+1 Crabo, Larry Gibson't second post ought to be a sticky somewhere. There have been many good discussions in the past on the use of fillers since the question comes up regularly.

Mil3rman3, the basic premise is that filler is a tool you can use to make improvements to certain loads under certain conditions. There are a few basic and essential rules, and some guidelines outlined in Larry's post I referenced. I've been using Dacron and cream-of-wheat for years in certain things, but I stay away from organic fillers nowdays because they can absorb moisture and cause pressure issues.

Since gunpowders of all types contain both a fuel and the correct proportion of oxidizer, there is no such thing as a "lean condition" involved with shooting them. It's not like an internal combusion engine. Neither is the point to make the powder charge more dense per se, it is to keep the powder column located consistently in the case from shot to shot, and also keep that charge against the coals when it's lit. With Dacron, I don't compress the stuff much, just fluff up some lightly and fill the space with just enought that the powder won't overcome the "springiness" of the Dacron when handled and get loose. I've also found that Dacron can let you push a plain-based boolit a little harder than otherwise is practical without a gas check.

Gear

Mill3rman3
11-27-2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks guys i really appreciate it! These kind of forums are great for the wealth of knowledge and sound opinions!

mdi
11-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Good explaination gear, thanks. Several years ago I read a lot about using Crean-o-Wheat as a filler/scrubber. Supposidly it will scrub the bore of any leading as it's fired. I loaded up some mid range loads in a .44 Magnun w/lead boolits but didn't shoot them. I was concerned the COW would migrate into the powder from handling, moving, etc., and cause squibs? Besides, I found out how to lessen the leading in my 629...

runfiverun
11-27-2010, 01:25 PM
thats why they tell you to put pressure on the filler. if cow/pufflon etc and powder can shake around it will mix but if it's held under compression like the directions say they won't move.
dacron/lint/powder, whatever needs to touch both the powder and boolit.
when you hear of chamber ringing it is caused by a filler/card/wad whatever being blown forward into a resting boolit.
and some fillers are better suited to straight walled cases and some are better for bottlenecked.