PDA

View Full Version : Lube or not to lube?

gcollins
11-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi All,
I have come up with a fancy 6 cav 224 gas check mould, what I need to know is there any need of lubing since i will be using a Gas Check?
I have reloaded for many years and never ever used a gas check. And I never thought I would! But a member on this forum wanted something I had for sale, and his trading stock was the mould. If a person thinks about it it won't hurt to be able to make my own 223 projectiles I make all the rest of them.

All advice is welcome and more.
Thanks
G

fryboy
11-25-2010, 07:45 PM
the simple answer is yes lube should be used , the gas check merely protects the base and also alleviates some of the need for a harder alloy , the no lube threads have a bit of banter about it but IMHO no lubed boolits are an advanced ummm art requiring the best of bores and conditions

11-25-2010, 08:03 PM
To lube or not? Obtaining your verifiable answer is easy! Load up 10-15 without lube, shoot them to the velocity you want to achieve, report results.

mpmarty
11-25-2010, 10:26 PM
It all depends.... like most stuff here. If you really enjoy spending hours and days getting lead out of a barrel then by all means don't lube those pretty gas checked boolits.

RobS
11-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Lube em.............they like it and your barrel will appreciate you for it. Win: Win

bowenrd
11-26-2010, 12:42 AM
The lube grooves are there for a reason

geargnasher
11-26-2010, 01:00 AM
The lube grooves are there for a reason

+1.

Gear

Dennis Eugene
11-26-2010, 06:03 AM
yep,lube gotta have it.

cajun shooter
11-26-2010, 11:12 AM
It sounds as if you have very little knowledge about the process of a bullet being forced down a hot metal tube via the use of hot gas. That is not meant to belittle you in any fashion as we all start out as newbies until we receive help. A bullet with grease grooves is meant to have lube in them. A smooth bullet is meant to be paper patched instead of lube.The bullet with GG and no lube is the same thing as running your car engine with no oil. It will work for a while but in short time you will have useless metal.I would recommend you buy and read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

gcollins
11-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Being honest since I had never used gas checks and never plan to i should of looked up the explaintion of what a gas check did. I know of a lot of guys that use the Lee bullet moulds that you don't have to resize but still pour lube on them, some how I ended up with some of those and gave them to a friend that is starting casting. I even make my own Black powder bullet lube.
I thank all of you for the advice, I knew I would have to size them and know i know that I need to lube them. I know that I have cast over 75,000 bullets over the years and I have never had a leading problem. I have had my OLd 1911 A1 Colt that I know I have shot 10,000 rounds down the pipe and 2-3 time a month a good scrubbing with Hoppes and it is as accurate ask it was the day I installed the N.M. Barrel and bushing.
Thanks again for the advice.
The day I stop learning things will be the day they put me in the ground.
Happy Shooting!
G