PDA

View Full Version : Q. Pacific press-mounted bullet luber

omgb
10-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Does any one here know how a Pacific press-mounted bullet sizer-luber works? I found an old one and am interested in how it is used. It is not now in my possession but could be if it was a worthwhile tool. It seems that it functions like Lee except that it adds the lube.
Any one ever use one?

kywoodwrkr
10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Can't speak for that particular one, but Herters had one which as you state operated similar to Lee's[or Visa Versa :-)].
I'll check my Herter's catalogs and see if there is info in it maybe with picture[s].
Seems on the Herters the lube was in a cylinder hanging horizontally off the side of the die body and a screw like affair put pressure on the lube to squeeze it into the bullet grooves. Now we're talking 30+ years ago and I now forget why I left one room and went to another!
If I find one in a catlog, I'll try and post a picture.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

scrapcan
10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
does it look similar to the one on the following website?

http://www.meachamrifles.com/

There is a thread under special projects titled "buckshot take a look at this" I posted that topic even though it had been posted before (nothing new just new incarnations).

If it looks like the mecham or the pope design it should be easy to use.

If you have pictures that would be great.

omgb
10-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Here's what it looks like. I would appreciate not having to compete with any of you guys for this dang thing unless you had already seen it and wanted to go after it.

versifier
10-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I got an email from Steve Meacham a couple of weeks ago saying that he had one more rifle order to finish and then he'd be back working on the lubrisizers. I will post when he contacts me with some prices.

Ross
10-12-2006, 12:37 AM
The patent number, 2016676, is bossed in the side of the tool.
I do not have an instruction sheet, but you can copy the 3 page patent off the United States Patent and Trademark Office website.
It was issued to Eugene E. Hess, of Las Cruces, Calif., on October 8, 1935.
If you have an instruction manual, I would dearly love to obtain a copy.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

omgb
10-12-2006, 01:20 AM
I went to the patent site and looked it over. Very interesting indeed. I am curious thoguh, how ere you able to see the patent number from the photo I posted? I sure couldn't

Ross
10-12-2006, 06:46 AM
"I am curious thoguh, how ere you able to see the patent number from the photo I posted? "

Using the "invert" logo on the computer will flip the negative and expose the other side, opposite the "PACIFIC" logo on the tool. As I am not very computer literate, I cheated and looked at my specimen.
The patents in the current classification - ccl/89/19 will disclose 72 other patents of a similar nature. Be sure to go back to the earliest records as well as the post-1976 ones. Click on "Advanced Search" and insert "ccl/89/19", select years "1790 to present" and the patents will appear on two pages chronologically reversed. You will need to open them ad seriatum.
That explains why I am awake at 3:44 in the morning.
Ross

omgb
10-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Ahh, the old invert buton trick ........ Now it all makes sense. Have you ever used yours? The lube sizer that is.

Ross
10-12-2006, 12:41 PM
No, I haven't used it yet. I got it a couple of years ago in Carson City and it rests among its peers, (Meepos, GO-WAD, Star, Ideal, Herter, home-builts) on the shelf.
I wonder if the new Pacific has any lore or support for the tool.
Ross

singleshot1
10-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Guys, I think I just bought the sizer you are talking about. I didn't know anyone here was bidding, or I would not have bid. I don't recall if the seller said there were any instructions. If there are I will take pictures and get them posted. Steve Meacham lives just a few miles down the road from me. When he first put together a luber I used it for some 45 cal. bullets. Worked quite well, it would be very handy to lube bullets the night before a match. I'll let you know what I get in a few days. Dave:-D

omgb
10-15-2006, 10:26 PM
If we are talking about the one on Ebay that closed arond what, $26.00 that was the one. I was the guy looking at it but decided not to bid. It's a free world. So all is OK with me.:mrgreen:

singleshot1
10-16-2006, 12:38 PM
:coffee: Yes, that is the one I got. Spent last night trying to find some mention of it in back issues of Gun Digest and Handloaders Digest. In the 1953 Gun Digest is the first catalog reference to it. In the new tools write up it said it had just been introduced. Other than that I haven't found much in the reloading press about it. The 1968 Pacific loading manual doesn't show it in the product section, so it must have been discontined by then. It will be interesting to see if the part that fits onto the ram is with it. I guess the next step is to contact Pacific and see if they have any parts or instructions for it. Dave:)

omgb
10-16-2006, 01:53 PM
The bullet is fed base up into the die. The nose punch will not be included. I asked the seller about that and he didn't have it. Funny thing, he said the buyer had to choose between one of two sizing dies. So ........ what's he going to do with the other die? Do you think he might have two of these machines? Or, ???????? Surely he isn't planning on listing the other die separately? that hardly mes good business sense. Oh well, who knows what Ebay sellers are thinking some times. I'd love to see some detailed photos when you finally get the thing. I am curious beyond belief. that's what had me thinking about bidding on it in the first place.

singleshot1
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM
ombg, I talked to the people at Hornady today and they didn't know if they had any info on the luber-sizer. But he said he would look and get back to me. Not any chance at all that there would be any spare parts left. :neutral:

omgb
10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Yup, like you say, no chance in you-know-where of finding spare parts. My guess is that this wasn't a big seller. :roll: I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a return call either.:-?

pjh421
10-19-2006, 01:18 AM
You've got access to the patent drawings. Do you know anyone with a Smithy 3 in 1, or who works as a tool & die maker, machine repairman, millwright, etc.? It's amazing what a little beer, snacks, ammunition, etc. will do to grease the skids when you need something done.

Paul

omgb
10-19-2006, 01:20 AM
I scoped out the patent drawings pretty closely and could not figure out the exact specs of the nose punch. Perhaps someone else can do better than I did.

singleshot1
10-23-2006, 07:50 PM
:) omgb, got the tool today. It is just as they said, new in the box. Not much to it, one side holds lube the other the die. There is a long spring above the sizer die, which will expell the bullet after sizing it. The picture shows a rod coming out the top, above the die. That rod is not with it, but a piece of drill rod cut to length would work. I think it is just a guide rod for the spring. Two set screws hold the die in. The die is not as simple as a Lyman or RCBS die, it would involve a bit more to turn one out. Not impossible, just more time. If I cannot find the proper nose punch for it, I think one can be made up. It looks to be a two piece affair, one piece fits over the ram. The other turned to fit the nose goes through the ram piece and is held by a set screw. It is a very well made tool. To bad they were not more popular. I don't have a good digital camera, but will see if Steve Meacham will take some pictures. He is interested in seeing this tool also. If we get some I will post them. The seller had another one for sale, with the .452 die in it. Did you see it? At any rate a nice collectable. Dave:coffee: