PDA

View Full Version : Old Style Lyman groove sprue plate

Leadmelter
11-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Group
I tried using a mold I recently acquired that has the grooved sprue plate and the nut cracker grips. I already decided the nut cracker grip are junk. I am used to the "new" style.
Pouring into the groove, I found pouring from the closest port to the furtherest the best technique. This is a .358 mold.
The question I have is: Do you fill the groove for your sprue or hole to hole and leave the excess?
Happy Thanksgiving

Gerry

Fixxah
11-25-2010, 09:09 AM
If I am using 6 cavity mould I start further away and work my way to the handles. This makes cutting the sprue a little easier. I always pour in one motion as it won't wear out the lever and makes more sense. The sprues fall as one long piece.

Hardcast416taylor
11-25-2010, 01:17 PM
It`s kind of hard, near impossible, to pour each cavity with a decent puddle on top of each. I found that a smooth continuous pour is best for an ample puddle on top of each cavity. Having the mold hot enough is a big plus. Some people liked this stype sprue plate - others hated it. A new style plate can be gotten from Lyman as a mold re-hab kit.Robert

Jack Stanley
11-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I use one continuous pour with a brief pause at each hole . The pause is determined by the amount of lead the cavity needs and a forty-four slug is going to take more than than a thirty-eight . What I watch for is when a very small bump of turbulence shows in the sprue . That tells me it's time to keep pulling the mold ... I start with the closest hole and pull the mold to me normally .

Jack

runfiverun
11-25-2010, 10:17 PM
i use a two hole pour pot and go from back to front mostly and alternate every third or so pour.
filling a warm mold by letting it run into the holes is usually fine. not many molds want a direct stream.
i like a good sprue too as i cut by hand and return it right back into the pot.