PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this site

steg
11-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Guys I've been casting since 1973, and up until joining this site I was basically flying by the seat of my pants, and luckily getting some good results. When I joined this forum I learned more in the last few months than I could ever have learned on my own, and it's made casting alot more fun than it was before. I've met and corresponded with some of the members, and all were great people, Old school as I am, taking a man on his word or a handshake sealing the deal, like it was years ago. It's just something I wanted to say..................................steg

Recluse
11-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Yep. Lots of reasons why this is about the only site where I sign up and participate. For one, I feel like I actually belong. . . Most places, even in the "real" world, I feel like a freaking misfit because of my values and way of looking at things.

Not here. Here, handshakes are a way of life. Knowledge and experience is shared freely and without prejudice. Boolit casters strike me as the old "mountain men" of the shooting world--individualists and self-reliant who make fine friends and fearsome enemies.

We got it all here. And glad we do.

:coffee:

EDK
11-23-2010, 12:40 AM
It's a d*** poor day that I don't learn something new here. MOST of the regulars are friends...stumbled across some of them at the Quigley shoot...but I'll only see the other guys and girls here at castboolits...or at some of the other sites. The ones I didn't get along with seem to have found other places and people more to their liking.

Like the guy said in Tom Selleck's Crossfire Trail movie..."We're all friends here," but in this case it's the truth.

**oneshot**
11-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Great bunch of people! Never thought an E-shake would be as golden as a hand shake, but it is.

oldhickory
11-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Like steg, I started casting in the early 70s and pretty much had to teach myself and seek advice from anywhere I could, I felt like the only guy in Pa casting and shooting boolits from a rifle. Lyman's Cast Boolit Handbook and a few issues of Handloader were my only outside guidance. Then one day I stumbled on this place and really began to be enlightened.

Thanks to everyone here for making this site what it is!:cbpour:

old turtle
11-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I am always impressed by the knowledge of the members of this board. In addition the world wide scope of the members is a testimony to the brother hood of casting and shooting.

11-23-2010, 09:21 AM
This board is great, I came for information and stayed because I found not only information but something better. these guys and gals are top notch.

WILCO
11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I like coming here because of the knowledge that is freely given and the good folks who share it. I always learn something new.

Von Gruff
11-23-2010, 03:07 PM
As Steg has said, like a lot of others I stumbled along with my casting for years and while I learned a few bits and pieces by trial and error, I was astounded by the depth of freely given knowledge on Cast Boolits. What has become abundantly clear is that there is so much more to this "way of life" than just casting and shooting a few boolits as Recluse says -----

Here, handshakes are a way of life. Knowledge and experience is shared freely and without prejudice. Boolit casters strike me as the old "mountain men" of the shooting world--individualists and self-reliant who make fine friends and fearsome enemies.

I like that a lot

Von Gruff.

armed_partisan
11-23-2010, 03:10 PM
The only thing this forum needs is a "Like" button like there is on Facebook so we can "Like" your comments. Other than that, everything I wanted to say was already expressed above.

MT Gianni
11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
We went five or six years between Nevada Cast Boolit Shoots. When we returned my wife said "these guys all act like they know you". It is a community of friends who can disagree but get along great most of the time.

Bigjohn
11-23-2010, 05:34 PM
This site is an international E-community of like minded people with an interest in shooting cast boolits in interesting firearms and who are never afraid to try something that someone else has thought of and to lead the way with new ideas which may or may not work; and whose word you can bank on as being as good as gold unless evidence to he contary. [smilie=w: Yes, We do disagree at times and we try to keep it civil but we are all humanbeings and we do have off days.

That's why I like it.

Did I get it all?

parson48
11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Like others have said, this site is a gold mine of good information. I recommend it to others every chance that I get.

firefly1957
11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I did ok casting bullets but were this forum helped me was with swaging bullets. I started swaging 2 years ago with some stuff I was given and had to figure out by myself this forum has taught me a lot.
Swage 22 centerfire from rimfire cases and 38 and 45 pistol bullets I am making some new dies for 44 cal. and 25 caliber (need a pointed 60 gr bullet for my Contender 256 Win. mag.)

Buckshot
11-24-2010, 02:56 AM
................Personally, I come here for the beer and peanuts.

.............Buckshot

casterofboolits
11-24-2010, 08:40 AM
I too started casting in 1973 and my casting information was gleaned from Lyman and a few gun mags I.E. Elmer Kieth and Skeeter Skelton.

There was a lot of trial and error. I started IPSC competition in 1982 and ended up casting and selling several million boolits to the other shooters that paid for my IPSC habit and quite a few guns.

I would have given my left *** for the information available on this site. Noobs really don't know how lucky they are to have a couple thousand years of casting and shooting knowledge available to them.

I enjoy reading all the new and old posts posts and have spent a couple hours a day on the site since joining. If you're having a problem with cast boolits or reloading or alloy, the answer is here. Someone here has had the same problem and found the solution for it.

I may not agree with some things, but that is human nature and being an old fart, I'm set in my ways. Kudos to this site!

cajun shooter
11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I was very lucky having learned my casting in 1970 from a couple of guys that were like the people on this forum. I started looking in and discovered things that I did not know and the spirit of those who helped was the same as mine. This is my first and last thing I check every day. Oh and that I'm still breathing.

Von Gruff
11-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Another thing that I really like about this site is the ability to click onto the last un-read post on a subject. This saves me from having to scroll through pages of posts to find where I was last reading from as I am in a different time zone and there are often a whole days postings between your usual log off times and my log on times.

Von Gruff.

Beekeeper
11-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Buckshot,
I thought you came here to try and sell or is that dupe someone into aquireing your Asperly Aimless.

Jim

HORNET
11-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I like the popcorn....:popcorn: , but the free virtual beer is O.K. too..:drinks:

sljacob
11-24-2010, 10:08 PM
+1 to all that was said above! when I started casting a year and a half ago, I had very little experence to fall back on other than casting round/minny balls as a teenager 30 years ago and working with babbit on the jobsite from time to time. When I stummbled onto this site the wealth of knowledge and information here amazed me. I spent countless hours reading post and stickys every night gaining infomation that would have taken a lifetime to have learned on my own. My heartfelt thanks goes out to all the great folks here that are willing to share there wisdom and experence with those of us that need a little help at times.
I have always felt like one of the family here and to me that means a lot.

jake

oh and the beer and popcorn is good too:bigsmyl2:

Lively Boy
11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
well i don't post much but sure do read alot. and have to have this site up all day becuse there is so much to learn. I joined 3 other sites and don't bother with them anymore. guess i feel more at home here! thank you everybody. happy thanksgiving

kbstenberg
11-24-2010, 10:50 PM
All i can add is that i agree with everyone.
But I wish they would put more butter on the popcorn.
Kevin

JRMTactical
11-25-2010, 08:07 PM
+1000!! I joined up following the GPal mess, and have really found alot of good folks here, and a lot of info that has been very helpful.... The Reloaders Guide is worth it's weight in gold (or in this case..... lead...bad pun intended) !

Free beer is great :drinks:

but these guys crack me up!---->:brokenima
:mrgreen:

45nut
11-25-2010, 08:17 PM
My heartfelt thanks goes out to all the great folks here that are willing to share there wisdom and experence with those of us that need a little help at times.

ditto

Buckshot
11-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Buckshot,
I thought you came here to try and sell or is that dupe someone into aquireing your Asperly Aimless.

Jim

..............Yeah, right. Last time I got rid of it I paid a guy a hundred bucks to take it and he still ended up sueing me to take it back.

...............Buckshot

Beekeeper
11-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I'll tell you what Buckshot,
If you will make Donna a new leg for her potting bench I will let you send it to me.
I here by promise to never sue you for doing it and will keep it in a sock ,locked in its own private safe so no one else will ever have to go through the horrors of its ownership.

Jim

mold maker
11-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Any and all knowledge that isn't shared, is waisted on the holder.
Here the knowledge shared is beyound all value limits.

Thecyberguy
11-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I can't add a thing to the above , except to agree. Great site.
TCG

leadbutt
11-26-2010, 11:50 AM
yea ive found this site to be helpful in all aspects of firearms. alot of experienced ppl here that love to help their fellow man/woman. personally my favorite part is the "arguments". ive never seen arguments so polite in my life. i think the more that ppl are pissed off the more polite the discussion gets. funny as hell.

L. Bottoms

jlchucker
11-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I too started casting in the 1970's, and until I got on this website I never realized what a rookie I really was when it came to casting. Now I read this site daily. Great guys, and lots of knowledge. I go on a couple of other shooting websites but am about to trim it all down. This one's a keeper. Largely because of this site, I don't really care if the producers of j-word bullets keep jacking up the prices of their products or not. Give me lead and alloy and I can easily live without them. Thanks guys. It's great to be amongst you.

Bob Krack
11-28-2010, 09:40 PM
................Personally, I come here for the beer and peanuts.

.............Buckshot
Huh, what?

Where are the peanuts??????

Dannix
11-29-2010, 02:11 AM
My heartfelt thanks goes out to all the great folks here that are willing to share there wisdom and experence with those of us that need a little help at times.
Add me to the ditto list as well. There's more wisdom and experience readily shared in this forum than any other forum I know. I count myself blessed to have found this forum. I got tired with the "mall-ninja" tenor of other gun forums I used to sift and glean from.

76 WARLOCK
11-29-2010, 12:39 PM
This site has saved several guns I felt were junk, when I folowed directions they are now my most accurate.

shooterg
11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Best site there is period

mroliver77
11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I have been accused more than once of having an "odd" sense of humor and at times can be somewhat childish. He, I am not even noticed much here.
Jay

Dannix
11-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I have been accused more than once of having an "odd" sense of humor and at times can be somewhat childish. He, I am not even noticed much here.
I literally loled when I read this one. :lol: