PDA

View Full Version : Testing my first castings

chutestrate
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I am about to test my first castings. I have about 150 bullets I am going to load into 40 s&w and 10mm. I haven't loaded them yet. I need to decide on my powder. I believe I will avoid using titegroup. I know I have some unique, clays, and universal clays. I also have some AA #9. Not sure what I will use. If I can use #9 for all of the loadings I think I will use that. I'm going to load up 3 types, low, medium, and almost nuclear. Everything will be within the manual guidelines. I'm going to evaluate for leading, pressure, etc.

I have 175 gr lead f/ Lee molds, 14 bhn

Test guns are
Browning HiPower 40
Steel frame witness 10mm
Witness Elite Match 10mm
Beretta 96G 40
Delta Elite 10mm
Smith 1066 10mm

RobS
11-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!!! You can load both cartridges with #9 and also note that this powder will be the easiest on cast boolits in regards to lower start/ignition pressures. You may have muzzle blast with shorter barrels as some of the powder my not burn in the barrel and end up burning once left the muzzle.

Do yourself a favor and make sure that your bullets are leaving the brass cases you loaded them in at the intended diameter (.001-.002) over the barrels groove diameter. If not plan on cleaning lead from the barrel and if so chore boy (pure copper pots and pans cleaning pads) wrapped around an old cleaning brush will be a huge help. Double check and make sure the pads are copper and not stainless steel covered with copper.

Let us know how it all goes.

mpmarty
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
+1 on #9 that is the nicest, cleanest burning powder I've ever used in a 10mm. I use it with the same 170gr TLTC boolit from LEE with a good heavy coat of LLA/JPW mix. I loaded a batch in new starline brass and after shooting them the inside was as clean as before I loaded them. Brass still looked new inside. Awesome powder!

Shiloh
11-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I use AA#5 for the 40. A LEE 175 gr TLSWC with the base milled to the first lube groove.
Drops at 157-158gr. 6.3 gr. Nice mild load. Cycles, and is accurate. Brass drops close by.

A shooting buddy uses Blue Dot for the 10mm

Shiloh

Bret4207
11-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't bother loading the "almost nuclear" stuff until you get your fit figured out. And loading for that many guns...what are you trying to do? See if you luck onto a good load for one of them? It'd make a lot more sense to do one at a time, observe and record and change one thing at a time.

sqlbullet
11-23-2010, 10:45 AM
our gun cupboards appear to be twins in the EAA department. I also have a full size steel and an elite match, both in 10mm.

Both slug out a little over .400. Both will lead if I run light loads of a slow powder.

Near max loads of Blue Dot and AA#9 give good results with minimal leading. For practice loads, I use Unique.

fredj338
11-23-2010, 06:20 PM
I have great luck w/ Unique under a 175grRNLFP in my 40s & 10mm running about 1000fps.

thegreatdane
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm curious as to how this turns out. I cast and shoot 10mm too. Maybe I can be of some value to your experiments.

Please let us know how it comes out.

BLTsandwedge
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I recommend using a small pistol magnum primer when you use #9 in .40S&W. I've had ignition problems using a regular small pistol primer and middle-of-the-road charges of #9.

Good luck!

fredj338
12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I recommend using a small pistol magnum primer when you use #9 in .40S&W. I've had ignition problems using a regular small pistol primer and middle-of-the-road charges of #9.

Good luck!
SLow ball powders like to be run well above midrange pressure levesl for best results. A mag primer helps, but the answer is switching powders if you want reduced vel & good perfromance form your load.