PDA

View Full Version : looking for a reason not to buy a savage

shoestring
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
looking to buy a new hunting rifle, although most rounds will be sent thru paper, that is not why. I have settled on a caliber-.300 win mag- for the long range capabilities. I have fondled the ruger hawkeye, the 700, the 70, the x-bolt, the t-3 maybe another i can't remember. all claim moa or better out of the box. CF or PF really makes no difference to me. I am weighing the pros and cons of all the rifles i can get my hands on. I came across the savage 11 long range hunter. Accu-trigger, Accu-stock, heavy sporter barrel, muzzle break. I have set a price of $1000 for just the rifle. I like the accu-trigger, for the added safety if for nothing else. I like a clean 2.5# trigger but the extra safety gives me piece of mind for the field. Accu-stock w/ adjustable comb, a full free floating barrel, I don't see needing to improve on that. 26" heavy sporter barrel, w/adjustable muzzlebreak. 8.6# overall weight. $799.99 If i choose this it will be my second savage. i have one in .270 win now and it is a tack driver with my handloads. and patterns like my 11-87 with corelocks. when I discovered i was in the new rifle market, savage wasn't going to be on my list. I figured if i was going to do this, I was going to step up to something better. spending more on a rifle is real easy, but i'm not seeing the reason why. I was most disappointed in the 700 cdl, which was first on my list to check out, I was suprised it still said remington on it. I know I will catch some flack for that statement, but bummed to see an american icon go there. I will pass on a few other rifles because, well Toyota may make a fine truck but there is a gmc in my driveway. ruger hawkeye would need some trigger work for sure. just can't seem to get away from the savage, and I'm really suprised about that.

Dan Cash
11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Reason for not buying a Savage: I don't want one.

Johnch
11-22-2010, 08:40 PM
The 11 is a short action
The 300 mag will probely no fit well

Other than that , I see no reason not to buy a Savage

I have 3

JOhn

shoestring
11-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Reason for not buying a Savage: I don't want one.

yeah, dan, i didn't want one either. I always considered savage to be a sub-par name. but when it comes to accuracy and innovation, i can't find sub-par anywhere. I wish i could spend a little more and feel i was stepping up, but in my $1k budget, It is filling the bill so far, and if you consider that they are out of stock everywhere, is saying something. can you give me some input on your opinion? I will welcome some good nuts and bolts reasons. I have not found anything better for $1k or under, and I want to find it. names don't impress me, shinny blueing, and walnut don't impress me. I would be happy buying something else buy haven't found the reason why yet. I have done some homework on this as well. feel free to chime in and help. I'm not looking for the generic cult like following of any brand. like i stated, savage was not on my list until i went shopping. thanks-SS

shoestring
11-22-2010, 09:57 PM
The 11 is a short action
The 300 mag will probely no fit well

Other than that , I see no reason not to buy a Savage

I have 3

JOhn

I have a model 11 in .270 win. .300 win mag and .270 win have the same OAL, I haven't had a problem yet. I also didn't realize this was a short action rifle. But I can learn something new everyday.

Jack Stanley
11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
If it fits your budget , does what you want and is reliably accurate ..... why would you want me to talk you out of it ? When you start using a low budget to drive what you want it's hard to expect all the pretty stuff on the new rifle to be . For years people bought Ruger because it was cheaper than so-and-so and then complained about them not being something better . At the same time Ruger did make some very accurate rigs on occaision that made a few sing the praises .

Several years ago I looked at Savage stuff and decided not to because of the burrs they just blued over . Recently I looked over a Stevens combo and couldn't find a reason not to at least give it a try . I've written a little here about my experience with it and I'm coming to the conclusion that it fits what I want it to do . I'll keep the thing unless my nephew needs a woodchuck rifle to borrow . But if you aren't sure about keeping it think again so you don't have to sell it and move on to what you really want .... that ends up costing more than if you'd bought what you like in the first place .

I hear the accutrigger is nice .... never tried one though . Would I buy another Savage ????? did they reintroduce the model 219 again ??? [smilie=1:8-)

Jack

armed_partisan
11-23-2010, 12:10 AM
In the last five years or so, Savage has become the very best factory bolt action rifle maker on the marked, IMHO. They're the most innovative too. They came out with the Accu-Trigger, and now EVERYBODY is offering somekind of adjustable trigger. Now they've got the Accu-Stock and I can't find any Bolt-Action rifle that even compares to a Savage for the money.

And no, I don't work for them, and I don't sell them, but they have always been very polite and helpful at the SHOT show, and that's a hell of a lot more than I can say for many other companies.

southpaw
11-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Buy the savage and put the money you save towards a good scope. I have 5 savage rifles and it is safe to say that they will out shoot me. Of course my opion might be a little biassed since they are one of the easiest rifles to get left handed. But they shoot and shoot really well. Wish they would have made the accu stock to fit the old rifles but oh well.

Pretty sure that it is a model 111 that you are looking at tho. I have both 111 (338wm) and 11 (300 wsm) and the 11 is too short for the longer bullets. I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

Jerry Jr.

Dennis Eugene
11-23-2010, 12:58 AM
only reason I can think of not to buy the Savage is the weight at 8.6 pounds it's a bit heavy for my style of hunting. but that may not matter to you. Dennis

shoestring
11-24-2010, 11:55 AM
thanks guys, the rifle is on its way. so is the leupold. next stop Dillon to tool up. x-mas came early:mrgreen:

outdoorfan
11-24-2010, 12:19 PM
thanks guys, the rifle is on its way. so is the leupold. next stop Dillon to tool up. x-mas came early:mrgreen:

Way to go! Way to go! :-P

I have had several savages. I liked them all. My current hunting rifle sports the monte carlo stock with raised cheek piece. I think it was the 114 model. Very handsome.

Dan Cash
11-24-2010, 04:09 PM
yeah, dan, i didn't want one either. I always considered savage to be a sub-par name. but when it comes to accuracy and innovation, i can't find sub-par anywhere. I wish i could spend a little more and feel i was stepping up, but in my $1k budget, It is filling the bill so far, and if you consider that they are out of stock everywhere, is saying something. can you give me some input on your opinion? I will welcome some good nuts and bolts reasons. I have not found anything better for $1k or under, and I want to find it. names don't impress me, shinny blueing, and walnut don't impress me. I would be happy buying something else buy haven't found the reason why yet. I have done some homework on this as well. feel free to chime in and help. I'm not looking for the generic cult like following of any brand. like i stated, savage was not on my list until i went shopping. thanks-SS

Shucks, you asked for a reason and I gave one. Nothing against Savage as I will tell anyone that they probably have the best accuracy for the buck that you will find. Just don't want one; don't want a Ruger or Kimber or TC either. All that is subject to change on a moment's notice you know.

Jack Stanley
11-24-2010, 07:26 PM

So we couldn't talk you out of it huh? Man , I'm really sorry about that ..... tell ya what we will do for ya . When the rifle and all that stuff comes in just pack it up and send it to the first man that tried to talk ya out of one ..... that'd be Dan Cash . He can use it all for six months send you a report on it and tell ya he's shipping it to the next man that tried ...... that'd be johnch . So the way I figure it , you'd have another three years to rethink your actions before you actually get to use the rifle you got coming .

Let it not be said that we don't try to help one another here . :kidding:

Jack

crabo
11-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Just don't want one; don't want a Ruger or Kimber or TC either. All that is subject to change on a moment's notice you know.

WOW! isn't that statement true. You find a great deal and pass, and then 6 months later you are kickin' yourself.

roverboy
11-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Savages are great rifles. I've had a 110e for 20 years or more and its a great rifle. Its in .223.

rtracy2001
11-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Looking for a reason not to buy a Savage? Here's one:

If I can get enough people not to buy Savages, then the price might come down so I can buy two or three.

Four Fingers of Death
11-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Apart from my dear old 30's vintage 32-20 Savage bolt rifle I have never owned a Savage. They are plug ugly, but work well, many of my friends have them and all love them. I usually buy used and have never seen a Savage on sale second hand that I can remember, so I never ended up with one. I came close to buying a Stevens 200 recently. They are virtually giving them away. I'd run out of puff carrying a rifle like that but it will serve you well. I can't say I have eevr heard a bad report on one.

clodhopper
11-29-2010, 09:35 AM
That ugly ole barrel nut is really a thing of beauty when the barrel is worn out. Or when you just want a new caliber.

Lloyd Smale
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I agree with some of the others. There great rifles and out of the box very few guns will run with on for accuracy but that action is just plain ugly. But i have to admitt that they look alot better after walking up to the target and seeing those tiny little groups.

Tom W.
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
My Model 12 BVSS-S ain't ugly, but it sure is heavy! And boringly accurate...

Tazman1602
11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I'll buy another Savage when they start making the *original* Model 99 action again..................

NO reason not to buy a Savage, I've got a couple but haven't bought any since the prices creeped up over $500 --- they *used* to be inexpensive. I have a Savage 10FCM Scout rifle in .308 that shoots really well.

Art

leadman
11-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Now you "need" a second barrel and barrel nut. Weld the barrel nuts to the barrel after headspaced so it can be switched out in minutes. Could even get another bolt head to switch case head sizes if you wanted.
I have an old 110CL (left hand) from the late 60's 30-06 that shoots as well if not better with cast thanwith jacketed.
This rifle has a detachable mag and a smooth barrel nut with a spanner wrench hole on the bottom, like the current fancy woodstocked detachable magazine Savage.

Three44s
11-29-2010, 11:14 PM
There are those that might use loctite for a barrel nut ..... but I just use my gauges.

Why buy a Savage ....... ?

Freedom!

For just over a year, I have been busy over at savageshooters.com ........ I've got two 110's and a PASAL of barrels.

My original 7mm Rem mag ended up a long range SS bull barreled .25-06!

My bare SS 110 receiver is currently as a .338-06!

Freedom!

Both actions wear Savage three screw triggers! At the going rate of 25-30 bucks used those triggers are the best for money of anything out there.

The custom barrel market is growing as well.

Recently, McGowen began offering ready to go nutted barrels for Rem 700's ...... right along with barrels made for Savage rifles.

Three 44s

44magLeo
12-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Midway has Adams&Bennet barrel for several calibers at $135. The barrel nut wrench $35. Not bad to do the rebarrle yourself.
I just bought a Stevens 200 in 270 Winchester. Haven't shot it much 12 rounds to sight it in. Buy the time I got it close I was shivering so bad my teeth chattered. A cold day. But even then the groups were less than two inches.
I think with a bit of load work I can get better. And try a warmer day. Numb fingers don't shoot well.

Four Fingers of Death
12-06-2010, 03:38 AM
Anybody seen those Savage Edges? They are way cheap out here.

snowwolfe
12-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Can give you a reason to buy one. They flat out shoot. Currently own a .223 and it will shoot 3 shots under a half of inch constantly as long as I do my part. Used to own a 300 Win Mag and it was the most accurate out of the box medium bore hunting rifle I've ever owned.

shoestring
12-07-2010, 03:17 PM
hope to have it up and running this weekend. the recommended 50 round break in procedure will probably take a few days. i'm sure i will end up putting a few boxes of premium thru it after that just to see what it will do. I have yet to tool up for reloading, but will soon.

shoestring
12-07-2010, 10:52 PM
i had a conversation with a guy at work. he said to buy a 700, put this barrel on it, put that trigger in it and mount it to this stock, I asked him why i should spend $700 on a bolt and receiver because that seems to be all i have left that is original? he couldn't answer. not to slam remington, i love the ones i own, but they are shotguns.

shoestring
12-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Apart from my dear old 30's vintage 32-20 Savage bolt rifle I have never owned a Savage. They are plug ugly, but work well, many of my friends have them and all love them. I usually buy used and have never seen a Savage on sale second hand that I can remember, so I never ended up with one. I came close to buying a Stevens 200 recently. They are virtually giving them away. I'd run out of puff carrying a rifle like that but it will serve you well. I can't say I have eevr heard a bad report on one.

i'm not sleeping with it, i just want it to put metal where i tell it to.:-P

Four Fingers of Death
12-08-2010, 06:17 AM
i'm not sleeping with it, i just want it to put metal where i tell it to.:-P

Well you usually turn the light out when you go to sleep :D

The gawky lines turn a lot of people off is what I was trying to say, they lack the graceful lines of a featherweight or a 700, but don't lack anything performance wise.

12-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Stevens 200 is what i go for since it's half the price and i can adjust the trigger, actually i was just day dreaming about getting a short action, changing bolt face and trigger, bed the forearm, swap the barrel out for a 6.5 rem mag twisted for 140 grain and under bullets. great carry around gun and good for almost anything in this state. Shoot that would be fun......

Four Fingers of Death
12-09-2010, 05:41 AM
The Stevens was a good deal, bu tthe new Edge seems to have a lot more features for about the same money, I'd be going down that path unless the Stevens was heavily discounted.

missionary5155
12-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Good morning
If you do then that might be the one I wanted...

exile
12-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I am not a rifle guy (keep buying handguns I guess), but I used to have a Savage in .223 with a heavy barrel, left-handed law enforcement model, that would shoot rings around my buddy's Ruger that cost $ 300.00 bucks more. Sold it to go to school, yes I regret it. My only consolation is that it was pre-Accu-trigger. Until someone else can make a rifle that shot as well as that one did, I see no reason to buy anything else. Like I said, I am not a rifle guy, but please, Savage if you are listening, make one in .260 Remington, I will be the first in line.

exile

Walt
12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
They are plug ugly

I agree, that's the reason I don't own one. Anyone else looking for an excuse not to have one can use it too.

shoestring
12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
scope is mounted, ammo purchased, first round flies tomorrow AM!

Gently
12-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a model 99A...LOVE IT!!![smilie=w: In .300 savage, easy to reload I found reloading dies and I have aquired 2 double molds in the proper .309 size and weight. If you want a real powerhouse (almost as good as a 30-06) this is a great gun.

I have yet to shoot the new version with the accutrigger, but it cant be as good as a remington 700 ADL (one of my sniper rifles) in .308

I guess it is all in how much you want to spend!

:holysheep

PatMarlin
12-10-2010, 07:32 PM
A work of American art...

http://www.patmarlins.com/receivershotsav.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/sav3.jpg

Three44s
12-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Nice Savage ......... Pat!!!

I love the Remington 700!

I love the Savage series ...... I did not like them at first ....... but how can you dislike something that shoots that well.

Looks don't kill but I the Savages look just fine ......

NOW ...... however, there is game changer ........ Nuted McGowen barrels for Remington 700's ....... the nut is cut to fit a Savage nut wrench.

Yes, life is good!

Three 44s

GabbyM
12-11-2010, 02:47 AM
I am not a rifle guy (keep buying handguns I guess), but I used to have a Savage in .223 with a heavy barrel, left-handed law enforcement model, that would shoot rings around my buddy's Ruger that cost $ 300.00 bucks more. Sold it to go to school, yes I regret it. My only consolation is that it was pre-Accu-trigger. Until someone else can make a rifle that shot as well as that one did, I see no reason to buy anything else. Like I said, I am not a rifle guy, but please, Savage if you are listening, make one in .260 Remington, I will be the first in line.

exile

To late Exile: Savage has already done it. Take your pick 260 Rem or 6.5mm Creedmoor. Last week they listed one rifle in 6.5mm. This week they list six models. Check out the gun finder page. Click on caliber. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/#

Savage web site even managed to misspell the name Creedmoor. As used by Creedmoor Sports. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php

PatMarlin
12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Kind of an interesting story about that Savage,.

A guy had advertised it for sale and I expressed interest but he had to pull the sale for some reason and said if I could wait, he would make sure I got it.

So I told him sure, no problem.

Well 6 months had passed and he contacted me and I finally bought the rifle as is, except I had the scope.

Brand new I found out, never fired and ordered from a gun dealer with the Bell and Carlson stock, Harris Bipod, Weaver steel bases and case.

It was his brothers who was a fireman at ground zero on 9/11, and died years later from pulmonary disease from the smoke when saving folks lives,. He never got to shoot the rifle.

His brother told me he was happy to see it go to someone who would appreciate it.

Four Fingers of Death
12-11-2010, 07:58 PM
That rifle would be real special to me, a hero's rifle. Well done that man! I like to know the history of my guns.

Sprue
12-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I've also got a Savage M12 BVSS .223 somewhere between here and Oklahoma. Its definitely a bench gun @ 10lbs +. I have a Rem 700 BDL in 22-50 but the savage will cheaper to shoot. Is it Spring yet?

shoestring
01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
well, I got 60 rounds thru it with the recommended break in procedure. I have a leupold 3-9 vx-II on it. It was grouping about 4" @ 200 yds. prone w/ bipod. not bad considering it was a little windy and I was using the cheapest ammo I could find. federal 180g softpoints. I have yet to work-up any handloads for it. I'm sure it will only get better. The biggest suprise was the recoil, of lack of I should say. the added weight, the (gel like) recoil pad, and the muzzle break really seem to tame it down. It took about 35-40 rounds before i noticed i was getting a little flinchy. with the muzzle break open, wow what a crack. really makes it loud. the last 10 rounds i fired, #51 to #60 I fired without cleaning in between, got it home and had just a bit of copper in it. it took two 15 minute soakings with #9 and it was all gone. I'm still debating the dies, either FL or neck sizing only, maybe I'll just get both so i have it covered. got a box of nosler CT ballistic silvertips in 168g, I'll pick up a few other brands and weights as I find them. I'm happy with the purchase. happy new year everyone!