PDA

View Full Version : DEWC VS SWC in 38spl

Jeffery8mm
11-22-2010, 05:59 PM
What, if any, is the real world difference in the SWC design boolit vs the wadcutter?? The wadcutter looks like it would pack a punch on small game, etc, because of the full meplat. I assume the swc is better aerodynamically.
I would use this in 38spl applications.
Thanks for the info fellows!!
Jeff

Wally
11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
The WC was made to shoot clean holes in a paper target out to 25 maybe 50 yards. . The SWC is better for longer range shooting. I extensively use both..nothing like popping a can with a WC bullet...especially in the .44 or .45 Claibers...

NHlever
11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Wadcutters can be very accurate at ranges under 50 yards, or so, and I have had good luck hunting small game with them at modest ranges. They just make a clean hole all the way through rabbits, partridge, etc. Semi wadcutters work well too, and are better suited for longer ranges. Longer than I can hit small game at I might add.

EDK
11-22-2010, 06:51 PM
The WC was made to shoot clean holes in a paper target out to 25 maybe 50 yards. . The SWC is better for longer range shooting. I extensively use both..nothing like popping a can with a WC bullet...especially in the .44 or .45 Claibers...

The LEE group buy 44 wadcutter at 200 grains and the OLD WEST BULLET MOULDS clone of 429352 sure make impressive holes. NOE's 45 wadcutter is another favorite.

You want long distance....go for a round nose/flat point or semi wadcutter for hunting; a round nose for plinking, etc.

Ain't it great to have so many choices of boolit weights and designs in our favorite calibers?

armed_partisan
11-22-2010, 07:36 PM
The rules of Aerodynamics are slightly inversed when something is going below the speed of sound. The full wadcutter has a surprisingly good Ballistic Coefficient at subsonic speeds. According to Fryxell, it was originally developed as a defensive load, since you couldn't use all of the case capacity of a .38 Special with that new-fangled smokeless. Might as well jam a full caliber slug way down in the case to give better ignition with old fashioned primers.

Semi-Wadcutters were built to add more weight outside the case, and be more aerodynamic at supersonic speeds; while still retaining a large, effective meplat on the tip, and (it was believed at the time) a full caliber shoulder for "cutting" into the target.

Jeffery8mm
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies!!!
Jeff