PDA

View Full Version : deactivating tracer condom bullets

bruce drake
11-22-2010, 04:12 AM
As I know everyone here is a frugal shooter, I'm thinking of buying a bulk pack of 30 caliber FMJ tracers from a reloading supply center.

Has anyone ever deactivated the tracer compound in the bullet bases?

If so, how?

Bruce

NSP64
11-22-2010, 08:38 AM
I have never reloaded tracers,but from what i read, if you load them with slow burning powder they just wont light. Everywhere i have seen the tracers were more expensive then fmj pills.

oldhickory
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't even attempt it.

deltaenterprizes
11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Why do you want to do that?

Dan Cash
11-22-2010, 10:25 AM
The idea does not make sense. If, however, you must "deactivate" the tracer element, place the projectiles on a non combustable surface in a well ventilated area and apply a propane torch flame to the base. The driveway in view of the neighbors is not a good place.

bruce drake
11-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Well,
Pat's Reloading has a really good deal for 1000 M62 30 cal bullets for $59 (plus Haz-Mat)

I'll probably buy them after payday and experiment with the slow powders after I get home next year. I just didn't want to be taken off the range in disgrace as I burn down the back 40...

Bruce

beagle
11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Even with a torch, the tracer element will still give off a small "pop" as there's a small metal disk there that has to be perforated in the new tracers. The old .30 stuff and the .223 doesn't seem to have these in all cases. I've burned hundreds by perforating the disk, sprinkling a little powder in the cavity and lighting with a match. This doesn't seem like a good practice to obtain FMJ bullets as I suspect the "dead" tracer bullets will display a pretty wide variance in weights after the burn.

Got to be an easier way to go than this./beagle

The idea does not make sense. If, however, you must "deactivate" the tracer element, place the projectiles on a non combustable surface in a well ventilated area and apply a propane torch flame to the base. The driveway in view of the neighbors is not a good place.

ReloaderFred
11-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Tracer bullets are longer than Full Metal Jacket bullets, which means the base of the bullet extends below the shoulder of the case. If there isn't anything inside the jacket, or it's not sealed, the jacket expands before it can exit the neck of the case, greatly raising pressures.

I once bought 2,000 unfilled tracer bullets, which just have a small amount of lead swaged into the nose of the bullet, but the skirt is open. I tried light loads, but the pressures were out of sight from the skirt enlarging inside the case. At least that's what I surmised from the results I got.

I still have about 1,500 of those bullets. I was hoping to someday find a swaging die of the proper shape and swage a lead core into the open portion of the bullet jacket, but I've never found the right die at the right price. I've tried pouring molten lead into them, but that didn't work. I tried cutting them off with a tubing cutter to make a short bullet, but that didn't work, either.

Maybe someday I'll find a use for them..........

Hope this helps.

Fred

bruce drake
11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
More than you know Fred. Thanks!

wolfspotter
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I cover the base of the bullet with hot glue. So far, they've shot very well without lighting.

deltaenterprizes
11-23-2010, 06:24 AM
The Haz Mat charge bumps the price up $25 plus a lot of time to deactivate, is that really a good deal?

wolfspotter
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Bought 1000 at HiTech for my 223 and 1000 308s from Polygunbag. Neither charged Haz Mat because their ad said, only a small percentage would light. Well worth it for plinking with a semi.