PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Out

leadhead115
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Hello to all! I became interested in the the world of casting and reloading from a friend of mine. I am just starting out in this fascinating new experiment and would like to know some of the tools/equipment I would need to pursue this art form. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments.

waksupi
11-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Welcome aboard. The first, and foremost thing you will want to do, is look at the stickies and classics threads. A ton of information to absorb!

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
11-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I suggest you purchase the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition $21.79
Graf & sons has it in stock. LY9817004
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search/keywords/LY9817004

It has information about tools to get you started plus many cast bullet loads.
Enjoy.

RobS
11-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Next you'll want to start with hunting down the bigger items such as reloading press/dies, components, lead supply, lead pot, mold/molds, appropriate clothes, eye protection, and several reloading manuals.

In the mean time looking through the stickies and classics is also a very good suggestion. This is a hobby for some, a business for others, or even a combination of the two and comes with patience, knowledge, and some common sense. Welcome to the forum and hope that you enjoy the new path!!!

leadhead115
11-21-2010, 09:28 PM
thank you all for the suggestions. i hope to be up and running soon.

Bret4207
11-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Lead alloy, pot, heat source, ladle and lube, GC if needed. Above normal reloading gear that's all you need to start. Read here first, read as much as you can stomach, then read some more. Then go try it.

Wayne Smith
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Post your location information a little more specifically. There is bound to be someone close to you who can teach you. It's by far the easiest. Check here, Reloader's Resource, and any other reloader's forum you can find.

Having an experienced someone there to guide you as you make your first mistakes is invaluable.

45-70 Chevroner
11-22-2010, 10:44 AM
The main thing is to not get discouraged. You will have some problems, but there is plenty of help right here. Safety first, get some eye protection, heavy leather gloves, shop apron, air ventilation. I cast out doors or just inside the garage door with a fan blowing from behind me about 10 feet away. You don't want the fan blowing right on the pot as it will have a tendency to cool the pot. Have fun and ask questions.