PDA

View Full Version : Quality of new production Pietta BP revolvers?

wellfedirishman
11-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Does anyone have experience with recently purchased (new manufacture) Pietta BP revolvers?

I have done a bunch of research about Piettas, and the opinions I see indicate that the older (3,4+ years older) Piettas are of poor quality, but the newer ones are better?

Has anyone here purchased a new Pietta recently, and if so what do you think of them?

I am looking at purchasing either a Uberti Walker 9" (nice, but pricey at $350):
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1022

OR a Pietta Wyatt Earp 12" ($200, looks good):
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3442

I have seen the Uberti in person and was very impressed by the quality and finish. I have not seen the Pietta in person, only what I read online.

Does anyone here have experience of these 2 guns? Pics are below.

Also, what is Dixie Gun Works return policy or customer service like if you get a lemon?

Thanks!

Tom-ADC
11-21-2010, 04:33 PM
I have (4) Pietta 1858 Remingtons two in .36 and two .44's fit and finish are great, I also have a Uberti Walker, I would compare the quanity of the Remingtons to the Walker any day of the week both are very good.

wellfedirishman
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Tom, thanks for the info. Were yours purchased recently (past 3 years) or are they older?

Also, what is the chamber capacity of the Remingtons versus that of the Walker? I understand that the Walker takes more black powder than any other traditional revolver.

Which would you recommend purchasing as a first BP Revolver? I shoot plenty of BP cartridge rifle and have recently got into muzzleloading.

I am hoping that one or both of these go on sale for Black Friday.

Tom-ADC
11-21-2010, 09:12 PM
All are less than 3years old, Remingtons have a much smaller chamber then the Walker. I never load toward the high end, I keep my Walker at 40 grs. which BTW is what I used in my Smith Carbine.
If it were me I'd go for a Remington but that's me.

Hellgate
11-22-2010, 02:10 AM
The brass framed gun looks beautiful but it won't hold up to heavy loads. The frame is too soft. The remingtons hold up to 35grs FFFg, the walkers about 55. The brass frame should not have more than 25grs powder as a steady diet even though the chambers will hold about 30grs. A brass framed remington is unlikely to shoot loose but cannot be used for a cartridge conversion cylinder.

wellfedirishman
11-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Thanks Guys for the input, that is appreciated.

Hellgate, so a steel-framed cap and ball revolver (e.g., steel 1860 army open top) can be used with a cartridge conversion cylinder? I knew that conversions were available for some guns.

I like the open top style C&B much more than the closed top.

eljefe
11-22-2010, 08:47 AM
My brother has an older Pietta that is very nice. I own two Ubertis that are
also very nicely made. My main revolver is a 1851 Colt Navy with
squareback triggerguard. It shoots like a centerfire revolver in terms
of ignition. In my opinion, the Ubertis tend to have a little nicer finish.

If you like the Colt style, you may want to consider a 1860 Colt. It is
built on the 1851 frame, but is 44 caliber. My brother has a Uberti version
of this pistol, and it is swell. Cartridge conversions are available for this
model. You may not be able to shoot the heavier loads like can be loaded
in the Walker, but still lots of fun. The belt size pistols are also much handier
to carry around.

If I was to get a horse pistol, it would probably be one of the dragoon models.

George Tucker
11-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I think before the 357 mag came on the seane, the Walker was considered the most powerfull revolver of the time, George.

Tazman1602
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I bought an 1851 Colt .44 BP Pietta from Gander Mountain last year for $119 on sale. Seems very well made but also comes with a VERY stern warning (brass framed revolver....) about the amount of BP to stuff into it. Can't remember offhand but it ain't much.

Very well made and pretty to boot.

Art

lathesmith
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Yes, if you want one to load heavy, forget brass, it won't hold up very well. I have owned several steel-framed Pietta '58 Remmys in the last few years, all manufactured between about 2000 and 2009, and all were made and timed quite well.

I don't have any experience with Dixie for a revolver purchase.

Good luck and enjoy,
lathesmith

Tom-ADC
11-23-2010, 10:34 AM
If I were to buy new today I'd keep checking Cabela's for a sale they usually have free shipping if over $100 or so.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/shooting-black-powder-pistols/_/N-1100201/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104503680

Tom-ADC
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Wellfedirishman, Check your PM's

Alan
12-03-2010, 12:10 AM
I just bought one of the 5 1/2" .44 Remmy's. I have an older .44 Target I bought about '97, and a '61 Navy from about 2007. They changed the locking bolt dimensions, so the old cylinders won't fit the new guns. That said, the workmanship on the new gun is 10X better than my old Remmy. Before I could shoot it I first had to work it over with files, then stones, just to get it to function and not grind a groove around the cylinder.

The new one is far, FAR better timed, locks up tighter, and in general seems just as well fitted and finished as my Uberti '58 Remmy. I have not shot it yet, but even my old Piettas consistently seem to outshoot my Uberti's. YMMV.

1) Either lap the barrel or understand that you will have to shoot a minimum of 500-1000 rounds to slick the barrel up.

2) Make sure the ball shaves an even ring of lead when you seat the ball in the chamber mouth. It seems the Pietta's like .454 balls.

3) It takes hotter caps, and more ramming pressure than 3f, but be sure and try some 2f. I shot the target model for years in SASS matches with 3f. I read _Sixguns_ by keith, and tried 2f, and accuracy improved greatly.[smilie=w:

4) I would not buy a brass framed gun, but if you do, 2f will probably increase the life-span of it considerably. I doubt it makes more than 2/3 the pressure of 3f.

Dixie stands behind their guns. I have sent back my 2nd .72 kodiak double rifle because the bores weren't shooting together, and they shipped the 3rd one to me today. Instant turn-around and infinite patience. I would recommend them highly.

wellfedirishman
12-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks Alan, that is very helpful advice. I ended up getting a very lightly used Uberti Walker from a member on this board. It is very nice, the build quality is top notch.

I will take it for a spin this weekend.

coopieclan
12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I believe they have improved the line over the years.
I bought my 1858 Pietta at Midway. They specifed "Color Case Hardened" finish.
I thought that was an un finished heat treated look that I have seen on some of the Italian Reproductions.
But when the gun came it was %100 blued. I like it better. I assume it is more rust resistant too.

Alan
12-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Ok, got to shoot my new Pietta remmy today. It is a 5.5" .44, and I have a new pet. I bought 2 extra cylinders, and loaded them up w 30gr Goex FF, a greased .44 wad, and .454 RB. At 15 yards offhand, the first 18 shots were about 3" below POA and could be covered by the palm of my hand. I call that a good omen. I fired another 6 w/ 40gr ff and got about the same accuracy, but I was running out of daylight. 40 gr was getting close to maximum - I don't like to mess with filler, so I'll be working between 30-40 gr to see if the gun has a sweet spot in there.

BTW, the light was getting pretty dim, and 40 gr made a HUGE fireball in front of the muzzle. :shock:

wellfedirishman
12-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I just received a new Cabelas 1860 Army repro by Pietta, steel framed with 8" barrel.

It is very nice, the timing and lock-up are excellent, it disassembles and reassembles easily, and the bluing and case coloring are very well done. The quality is MUCH better than some of the older Piettas that I have seen.

I will get to shoot it this weekend (if the rain clears), should be fun.