PDA

View Full Version : New Reloader

Shiloh
11-20-2010, 07:50 PM
As stated in a different thread, I went to the range today. Despite the 34 degrees and wind. Not so bad in the wind break supplied by the stacked tires protecting the range. A good day with the 1911 on paper and then the plate range. At the plate range, there was a guy gleaning brass from the ground and trash can for 9mm.

The fellow looked between 23 and 25, and said he was new to reloading. He purchased a LEE Breech Lock Challenger press, LEE carbide dies.. He also bought a pound of Unique, some Remington small pistol primers, and a 250 piece box of Berry's 9mm 115 gr total plated bullets.

His load was 5.3 grains of Unique. He had a Hi-Point 9mm carbine with a Red Dot scope, and had put 25 rounds in a 1 1/2 inch circle, with the very center part of the target shot out. These were his very first reloads and he was absolutely ecstatic.

He asked rapid fire questions between my strings on the plates. How long I had loaded and how I got started. He then asked where I got the cast boolits with the brown lube on them. I told them I cast them myself, and showed him a 50' Slowfire Bullseye target with the black shot out. His eyes got as big as saucers.

The poor guy couldn't ask questions fast enough, and kept calling me sir.

Gentlemen, this guy is hooked so bad that he probably won't be able to sleep tonight. More pressure on our lead sources.

Shiloh

AZ-Stew
11-20-2010, 07:58 PM
WELL, DID YOU INVITE HIM HERE??? :holysheep :shock:

Regards,

Stew

fryboy
11-20-2010, 08:24 PM
what he said ermmm...ditto

sometimes i miss beginner's luck lolz

Shiloh
11-20-2010, 08:32 PM
I forgot. I'm ashamed of myself.

Shiloh

Centaur 1
11-21-2010, 12:27 AM
He sounds like me, only I'm twice his age. I started casting back in April because I mentioned to a friend of mine that I wish I had a source for cheap bullets so I could afford to shoot more. We were just shooting the breeze and I made a comment that I wish that I knew how to cast my own. I have an old Palmer hot pot from when I was a teenager and I made split shot. My buddy works at an indoor range on the weekends, he said that if I wanted to cast I could have a 5 gallon bucket of range scrap. Then I found this site and the rest is history. Since then I've talked him out of five more buckets of lead. The deal that we made was that I would smelt it all and make ingots, then give him half the ingots back. This guy shoots about a thousand rounds a month and I can't get him over the house to try and teach him what I've learned. All he has to do is pick up lead from the floor and he'd keep us both supplied, but he's just ho-hum about it. I've even offered to give him his half back as cast boolits if he'd just collect the lead. I'm having so much fun with casting that I can't imagine him not taking full advantage of the opportunity that he has. To make matters worse, he'll be moving in about 3 months so he won't be able to get more lead. My rant is over, yep I'm like that guy you met. :bigsmyl2:

44fanatic
11-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Met the father of one of my daughters friends the other day at the range. Offered him up a few lbs of lead to get him started casting. He is retired Army and volunteers as a RSO at the range, probably shoots a couple hundred rounds a month and wants to be able to shoot more. Next time I talk to him, I am going to send him this way.

Gettin ready to buy a Marlin 94S (44) from a guy I have been corresponding with on another forum. He wants to start casting for IDPA(?) and is selling the rifle to get started casting. A couple of other members there mentioned this site along with me. Thinking about giving him my 4lb pot but dont think it will meet his needs...sounds like he already has a good source of lead, but have already had dealings with two other CB members from his part of the state.

onesonek
11-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Kinda reminds what P.T. Barnum said ,,,,,only replace "sucker" with Addict,,,well maybe sucker applies too,,,LOL I fit both as far as that goes!

Bambeno
11-21-2010, 04:36 PM
To make matters worse, he'll be moving in about 3 months so he won't be able to get more lead. :bigsmyl2:

Sounds like maybe you should have him help you get in as his replacement there then ;) Before he leaves.