PDA

View Full Version : Smoke my mold instead of lube ?

MOUNTAIN MIKE
11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Hello; was recently told that there was no need to lube my mold if i would just remember to smoke it good every so often. It should be smoked throughly including the sprue plate and under the plate

is this possible? Always thought lube was the way to go but i have had lube in the cavities that caused many headaches and it would seem that this may be ok to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mountain mike

cajun shooter
11-20-2010, 07:32 PM
You smoke the cavities for better release. The Bullplate lube is used on the sprue plate and hinge area's along with any alignment pins. Don't put lube in cavities.

HeavyMetal
11-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Some of us here think that smokeing a mold is just a cover up for another problem and I am one of that group.

Smokeing a mold is done to act as a release agent. However if the mold is properly cleaned and de burred prior to use very few molds need smokeing and those that need some type of asistance would be better off with the light application of a number two pencil rather than smoke!

Lyman, at least in the last new mold I bought from them, gave no suggestions as to lubing and Lee would have you coat the whole mold with a wax based lube that will do nothing but make your mold sticky and one ugly color of brown that will never come off!

So what should you do?

The two best options I have ever used for mold lubrication, and yes you should do the pivot points on any mold, are Bull PLate lube, do a search for Bullshop the maker, or use Anti Sieze the same stuff you put on bolts to keep them from corroding into threads you screw them into.

Use both of these products very sparingly particularly around the sprue plate retaining screw!

I usually apply these products with a large sewing needle and that works well.

With the pivot points lubed correctly and using a little care and common sense even aluminum molds will last a long time!

southpaw
11-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Bullplate is the way to go. Just follow the simple instructions and you will not get any in the cavities. Remember; wipe on and wipe off and you will have more than enough unless it is an extended session then you might want to do it once more in the middle.

For better release smoking just masks the problem and makes your boolits a little smaller. Their are some articles in the stickies that will help you get your molds to release better.

Jerry Jr.

11-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Following an old geezer's advise, I smoked my first mould. Since then, I've come to realize that it's not the least bit necessary and a waste of time. If the boolits don't release, either on their own or with nothing more than a slight love tap on the handle hinge, I look for the reason why.

If you have a Lee mould, the first thing you need to do is toss the directions. If you've already read them, forget it all. Instead, Lee-menting/Leementing is the correct and proven method by which to get it working at its optimum.

MtGun44
11-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Never found smoking to do any good, used to do it and quit a few years back and
can't see any loss from it.

Use BullShop's Bull Plate Lube, you will be surprised how well it works.

Bill

qajaq59
11-21-2010, 08:03 AM
I don't bother smoking any of my molds anymore. If the bullet doesn't release easily I just find the burr and remove it.

sljacob
11-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I agree with the above posts. smokeing a mold is short term fix to cover the real problem. IMOP the proper mold casting/aloy temp is the biggest secret to get boolits to fall easly from my all my molds the lee in particular.(given no damage burrs ect)
I also recomend using plate lube such as bullshop on the sprue plate and hinges only a little goes a long way

Charlie Two Tracks
11-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Here is something from a new guy to casting. I have found (through the advice on this forum) that when I smoke a mould, it reduces the diameter of the boolit. I try to keep the cavities as clean as I possibly can. Smoking the mould makes the boolits just fall out but it does me no good if the booit is too small in diameter.

MOUNTAIN MIKE
11-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow; this is the place to ask questions. Thank you so much for the info.

Mountain mike

WHITETAIL
11-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Mountain Mike, Welcome to the forum!:veryconfu

smokinfeathers
11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
good info for us newbies

prs
11-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I used to smoke 'em, but the doc said I had to quit.............
ba da booom

I tried to smoke my molds, but they kept tearing through the papers....
ba da bing

On a more serious note; I find that if I keep casting hot and fast, they fix them selves, expcet rule may not apply to Lee singles or doubles.

prs