PDA

View Full Version : Quantify CB craziness?

msp2640
11-20-2010, 05:34 AM
I was thinking about this today as I wrote out another check to Al at NOE - at what point in this "hobby" does it begin to take over your life...........when you can remember NOE's or SciFi Jim's address better than your mother's.........when you have more than one mould for every caliber you load for.........when you check the WTB section daily, hoping to find that one Lyman/ Ideal mould that hasn't been made in the last 50 years....... and hoping that there's not another guy like you that will beat you by 10 minutes after it finally gets posted FS......when you jump out of your car at a redlight because you see a wheelweight on the road side..........when you look at some freshly cast new boolits, you determine they're too nice to shoot.... ....when you take down your modest cartidge collection, only to replace it with a boolit collection........I know I'm not alone in this, how else do you account for this "hobby"? Hi my name is Bill, I've been casting boolits for 20+ years.......

missionary5155
11-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Good morning
I would call it saneness. Where I grew up if you could make it you sure never bought it.
But I understand your idea...

Tazman1602
11-20-2010, 07:29 AM
My wife says she doesn't care...........it keeps me out of the bar so it needs no explanation.................

..............and it's been almost 30 years..........................

Art

Will
11-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Years ago on my honeymoon I stoped at a junkyard to pull wheelweights from wrecks while my new bride waited in the car. She isn't like that anymore. Maybe I overdid it.

old turtle
11-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Everyone in my family will pick up ww's for me off of the street and in parking lots. I am very lucky.

Bret4207
11-20-2010, 08:41 AM
If you're casting and shooting you aren't boozing it up and chasing women. It's not really that costly compared to golf or football, certainly not like collecting cars or airplanes.

I don't see a big problem.

Byron Cromwell
11-20-2010, 09:04 AM
A takeoff of Bret4207:
My Dad and I built a loading bench in the basement when I caught the gunbug (it's hereditary, you know...) at age fourteen. Fifteen years later when we took the room apart to sell the house, my wife asked about the collection -- 200 lbs powder, 60 boolit moulds, range pickup casings, collected wheelweights, antique equipment -- each with a story to tell both from Dad and myself. Dad's response was one he had given before over the previous fifteen years, and answered my mother's worries about what I was doing with all the time in the basement: "You know where he is, and what he's doing."
I just told my friends (yes, I had some) that playing with explosives in the basement kept me off the streets at night...

mold maker
11-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I never really gave it much thought, although I'm sure some around me did.
I've always jumped out at intersections to grad WWs, doesn't everybody? Isn't it normal to have pride in what we shoot, just as well as in the gun that shoots it? Can we ever have too much of the tools and materials that make us independent?
We have prepared ourselves to only need powder and primer to continue shooting for the rest of our lives, an that of our interested children.
What greater legacy is there?

sqlbullet
11-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Missionary5155 nailed it. The only CB craziness I can think of is buy bullets!

Mal Paso
11-20-2010, 12:14 PM
What Problem?

Shiloh
11-20-2010, 12:48 PM
My wife says she doesn't care...........it keeps me out of the bar so it needs no explanation.................

..............and it's been almost 30 years..........................

Art

Years ago, in the "Growth Years" of the marriage, I used the same assertion with my wife. I went to the range a lot, or was loading, casting, or acquiring shooting related stuff.

I suggested that "I could go back to drinking again" She got the point.
I gave a little, she gave a little, and all is fine. I would NEVER have gone back to drinking again, but is made a good argument. Going on 24 years of sobriety for me. We have been married 14 years.

mpmarty
11-20-2010, 03:11 PM
My wife doesn't ask. I have all the firearms I want and literally a lifetime supply of powder and nearly enough primers for the powder. My safe is full. My powder magazine is full. I've got well over thirty thousand primers on hand. I've got three full five gallon buckets of once fired TZZ 45 acp brass. I've got a bit over a ton of smelted wheel weights in ingots. My man cave is insulated and heated. I'm a happy camper.

ghh3rd
11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Years ago on my honeymoon I stoped at a junkyard to pull wheelweights from wrecks while my new bride waited in the car. She isn't like that anymore. Maybe I overdid it.
Too funny!

I think that my wife appreciates that I'm not out at a bar, but sometimes still mentions the word "bullets" in a different tone. I've told her I'd fashion some lead trinkits for her gold chain, but she has declined. :)

I used to ride a bicycle everywhere, even as a young adult, and stopped for every wheel weight that I saw on the street or in the gutter (many). I even stopped at tire stores and picked them up from out front of their bays... wish I knew that back then all I had to do as ask for a 5 gal bucket full. Sadly, I was using wheel weights for fishing sinkers and was still thirty years or so from using them for boolits.

Glad I came to my senses!

bbailey7821
11-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I refuse to admit that I have a problem...

Charlie Two Tracks
11-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Crazy? Twenty years ago I was into golf. (I'm better now). I remember the last driver that I bought was a Taylor Made. It Cost nearly $300.00 then. When I left the Pro Shop it was worth half of that. At least our equipment keeps its value.

starbits
11-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I refuse to admit that I have a problem...

hmmm! I already have the 2c Mihec .452-200 Cramer and every time I look in the active group buys the 4c Mihec .452-200 Cramer keeps drawing my attention even though I don't even own 45 and I am currently in on 3 other group buys.

I do have a problem, it is called money, or rather the lack of it. :cry:

Starbits

BOOM BOOM
11-20-2010, 08:31 PM
HI,
IT KEEPS ME OUT OF TROUBLE, MY WIFE KNOWS IT!!!!!!

One time she made a comment almost 30 yrs ago, about my gun magazines.
I looked at her & batted my babby blue eyes and said" Well I Could change to nudie magazines."
She said ," I guess guns & gun magazine are just fine dear."
There has never been a negative word said since.

tommygirlMT
11-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Yes --- you did --- that would annoy even me --- and Im uh chick who casts my own

That'll Do
11-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I'd don't have a problem with cast boolits. Now if I couldn't have cast boolits, then I'd have a problem.

waco
11-21-2010, 04:12 AM
i found a small 6" piece of old 50/50 solder at work awhile back.i was telling all the guys how cool this find was..(tin)... they all just looked at me like i was some kinda freak.what are ya gonna do? one mans trash..........

msp2640
11-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Waco very true about "one mans trash...." after I asked about craziness, I recalled one night my wife and I took the kids out for dinner. As I was stopped at a stop sign and was looking for crossing traffic, I thought I saw a few wheel weights on the ground in the sand, Sure enough while running errands the next day, with out the rest of the fun bunch, I intentiionally went back there and sure enough found a handfull of "another man's trash" - A few other friends, just can not get over the fact or understand that I cast my own boolits. Sometimes I have to put in perspective for them - Hey I make a product that is no longer or not comercially available - If you could remake parts for you first year Corvette wouldn't you?

qajaq59
11-21-2010, 07:57 AM
WACO, I can understand that. I bought a 5 gallon pail of lead at the scrap yard last week and it had 2 bars of solder in it. I remember saying Wow!!! LOL

crabo
11-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I have to have a definition of CB craziness. All of this behavior seems perfectly normal and sane to me. What are you guys thinking is crazy?

1Shirt
11-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Think we are all somewhat crazy together. It is sort of an addiction, that allows us with less than an over abundance of money to shoot more, get burned on occaision, cause condom shooters at the range to raise their eyebrows, etc. etc. etc. Still (after all these years) always get a kick out of the guy who shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year (maybe) telling me that cast won't shoot.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Beekeeper
11-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Hello Bill,
My name is Jim and I too am a cast boolit aholic.
I have taken over so much of the garage in the past 4 years as I have spred out that I have trouble getting the car inside.
Like everyone else SWMBO sees it as time taken away from her shopping but allows it as it could be bars and beer.
At least she knows where I am "most of the time"

Jim

geargnasher
11-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I'd don't have a problem with cast boolits. Now if I couldn't have cast boolits, then I'd have a problem.

Perfectly said.

Gear

onesonek
11-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Well, I always been a one bullet/load combination for all I shoot,,,,,now comes the exception of casting for 2 differnt calibers/chamber, I find myself with 3 molds and 7 different boolits to load the 2 with,,,,,way beyond my norm.

MakeMineA10mm
11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
msp2640 -- Have you figured out by now that what you've done is the equivalent of a drunk going into a bar on quarter-beer night and asking, "are we drinking too much?" [smilie=l: :drinks:

old turtle
11-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I have gotten to the stage that I can not pass up any old nice molds in any cal. that I might load for, let alone wheel weights from parking lots and intersections.

bruce381
11-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I have to admit that 35 years ago when we got married we looked at buying our first house and in one of the houses we looked at in the empy garage I found a 5# bar of 50/50 solder and she let me keep it.
bruce