PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a CZ 527

Lawyerman
11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I bought another CZ 527 the other day. It was a good deal, now I know why! The rifle was beautiful, had a decent scope on it, paid $325 for it.

Shot it yesterday. I was shooting some Wolf hollowpoints to get it on paper. No problems they all went bang and were reasonably accurate-at 25 yards they cut a nice cloverleaf. Then I switched to some Winchester 123 gr JSP's. This is to be a deer hunting rifle for my son. Out of 5 rounds only 2 lit. The others were light strikes. Huh....maybe old ammo. So I dig out a box of PMC 123 gr JSP's. Two of those out of 5 fail to ignite showing only minor dimples. Out of frustration I grabbed a box of Barnaul 154 grain JSP's I had in the truck...... Five in a row light and group in about 1.5" at 100 yards. At that point I had to quit- the fireball coming out of the muzzle was most impressive- 7:00.....

Normally, I think of military type primers as being hard etc...and tough to light. In this case, none of the civilian stuff was reliable but all of the military stuff lit without issue. I wonder what the issue is?

Several possibilities- bur on the firing pin or in the firing pin channel, firing pin too short, striker spring too weak......Other ideas?

pietro
11-19-2010, 07:10 PM
[Several possibilities- bur on the firing pin or in the firing pin channel, firing pin too short, striker spring too weak......Other ideas?]

If there's no crud in the FP or mainspring channel, it sounds like either the chamber's cut a tad too deeply, or the bolt lugs were lapped too much, setting the bolt back a bit, giving slightly excessive headpace.

I'd have a gunsmith check the headspace if the FP issues check out OK.

fireball168
11-19-2010, 08:47 PM
I had intermittent light primer strikes when cold until I took it apart the first time and cleaned all the cosmoline looking stuff from the interior of the bolt.

I installed one of the J&P springs at the same time, haven't had an issue since.

http://actionscrews.com/

I can check firing pin protrusion on mine if you want for comparison purposes.

whopist
11-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I had the same problem, so I called CZ. They knew about the problem and sent me a stronger firing pin spring.

Here is their contact info:
please call 1-800-955-4486 or e-mail warranty@cz-usa.com

Good Luck

Lawyerman
11-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, we had a rough hunt, too darn warm right now. Didn't see any bucks in the morning yesterday but a little forkhorn. We passed.

About 4:30 yesterday evening though we got a crack at a nice 8 pointer at about 85 yards. I loaded the gun with the Barnaul 154 grain softpoints. My son shot the deer through the neck, bullet must have hit something- spine maybe and it entered the chest cavity exiting and cutting off two ribs in the process. Deer dropped like he was Pole Axed! Ten year old MUCH excited. I take my 12 year old out on Thursday and we'll shoot the Barnauls again.

After season I'll call CZ about a new pin spring. Thanks guys. I really didn't know this was an issue, my other CZ has never given a lick of trouble.