PDA

View Full Version : Cased Maynard Rifle/Shotgun

STP
10-08-2006, 09:25 AM
It seems I will inherit a Maynard combo and I have little info on the use, care, and feeding of such a thing. I got a glimpse just a year ago, but do not know what the 2 barrels are chambered for. Most of the "extras" are included. The mould appeared to be in good condition, but the brass has all gone green.
My main concern is how to go about making sure it is safe to use and possibly do so. I need a booklet or manual for use, as all the old catalogs and paper I have here do not include such specific information.

I want to give it the best possible care.

floodgate
10-08-2006, 12:54 PM
STP:

You've got a real treasure there! Go to Dixie's Pioneer Press and get a copy of George J. Layman's "A Guide to the Maynard Breechloader", Revised Edition, 1993 (or look for a copy at AbeBooks); Layman also made reprints of a couple of the Maynard catalogs. The Maynards, simple though they look (and the models without forends look and feel a bit funny at first) had the reputation of the BEST factory-made barrels in the 1880's and 1890's. Sadly, the only ones I have even been able to own were a couple of the little Civil War .50 cal. carbines, but they were fun to shoot until the one case I had completely wore out. Now, most of the standard Maynard cases are available from Buffalo Arms and other sources.

floodgate

STP
10-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Floodgate,
Thank you for the reply and the information. It`s a classic I never thought I`d have an opportunity to enjoy for myself.

45nut
10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Floodgate {Doug} is a literal Library of Congress type resource to us all. I would be stunned to hear he was stumped on such a question.
I certainly value his contributions and just wanted to make sure he knew......

floodgate
10-09-2006, 12:53 AM
STP, 45nut:

Thanks for the "thanks"; makes all those years of squirreling away "old paper (and hardware)" worthwhile!

Doug