PDA

View Full Version : Lubesizer

Ken O
05-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Using a new used Lyman 45 with 50/50 alox beeswax, Lee 452 200SWC(BB) I get a ring of lube around the beveled base. Is this normal? Any way to not get this? The top punch and sizeing die are new. Also using WW, they come out a little less than the 452 mostly in the 450-451 range. Should I get a larger mold like a 454 and size it down. They shoot OK.

David R
05-19-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't think there is anything you can do about the lube around the base, the luber sizer thinks its a lube groove.

If they shoot OK or you are happy with the performance, then just shoot em and have fun. What you are doing is "oversizing" them, mostly just adding lube to unsized boolits. These will shoot the best as long as they are the same or .001 bigger than groove.

Look at the driving bands after sizing and see if they have been altered by the sizing die. You will see shiny spots. If they have or part of them have, you are probably fine.

What are you shooting them in?

Buckshot
05-20-2005, 03:29 AM
.............Ken, put a GC in the sizer die to set the boolit on if the lube stuck to the boolit is a big problem. I have a few BB designs and the beveled part is small enough that the lube doesn't present a problem in my mind. On the other hand the Lyman 147gr intended for the 9mm and 38 Super has a big ol BB, and I use the GC remedy. Every once in awile the GC will come out on a boolit base. Just peel it off and stick it back in the die and continue on.

.............Buckshot

rbwillnj
05-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Get a Star Lube Sizer, they don't do that.

Iron River Red
05-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Buckshot is right. Its simple and effective and not to mention cheap. 3 of my favorite words when it comes to shooting...

Ken O
05-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys, the GC sounds like a great idea.
I use these bullets in IDPA, ISPC, and SC matches. Accurcy is not the the most important thing with these type of competitions. I'm using a 1911-A1 Springfield.

mroliver77
05-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Not having any 45 cal gaschecks around caused me to look around the shop one time. I ended up using a wad cut from a styrofoam meat tray that fit the sizer die tight. After readjusting the sizer it worked fairly good to keep the lube off the BB but failed every 50-100 bullets. Nice thing is, they are cheap and easy to make. Jay