PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets testing

JanZ
11-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I see a lot of stuff on Utube testing jacketed pistol bullets has anyone ever tested the cast bullets the same way?

And if so what were the results, I have been casting a lot of 45 stuff and was wondering how these rounds preform.

Blammer
11-18-2010, 11:40 PM
I suspect the cast boolits here have been tested FAR more often than the jacketed ones.

Have anything specific you are looking for in the way of testing?

are you talking..

accuracy?

Velocity?

penetration?

expansion?

???

JanZ
11-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I was thinking along the lines of expansion and penetration compared to the jacketed stuff. I've been shooting a 250 grain cast slug out of my Ruger old Army and it would be a heck of a round to get hit with even though it's only going around 900 fps. I'm using a 45 ACP conversion cylinder with the ROA and it's surprising at what that gun will shoot.

captaint
11-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Jan,
read up on the stickies and numerous other posts. Lots of folks here have done both expansion and penetration testing. I'm conviced that a solid lead boolit will equal any jacketed bullet in terms of penetration.. I mean, what's the difference, really?? There's some interesting reading on properly constructed HP lead boolits also. Read up - you'll be a while. enjoy Mike

reloader28
11-19-2010, 12:44 AM
I made a wet sand trap to shoot into and have lined up water jugs end to end and its fun to see what the boolits do.

I shot my first deer with my cast boolits this year (I'm not a virgin anymore). Had it hanging next to Dads that he shot at 300yds with a 165gr boattail and there was no difference in the exit hole from mine that was shot at 120-130yds with a 180gr FN boolit.

I'm hooked and will probly use nothing but home brewed from now on!:lovebooli

JJC
11-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Use the search this thread feature on the top right side of the screen. Put in penetration tests and you should access a bunch. I'm still trying to catch a cast 410 gr out of a 45 70.

44man
11-19-2010, 08:47 AM
I was thinking along the lines of expansion and penetration compared to the jacketed stuff. I've been shooting a 250 grain cast slug out of my Ruger old Army and it would be a heck of a round to get hit with even though it's only going around 900 fps. I'm using a 45 ACP conversion cylinder with the ROA and it's surprising at what that gun will shoot.
I don't have that conversion but have shot a lot of deer with the Old Army and a round ball at 1100 fps. (41 gr of Swiss FFFG) Can't stop the ball in a deer and it kills them faster then a .44 mag.
Expansion tests are fun but tell you nothing about results in game. Expansion must be regulated for the caliber, velocity, size of the animal and the penetration needed.
Yes, cast can do it all! [smilie=l: