PDA

View Full Version : Tools Explained:

crabo
11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

ROUTER, whether portable or bench mounted - Now is the feed direction clockwise or counterclockwise? You'll find out if it's wrong fast enough.

ALLEN WRENCH - Small "L" shaped bits of hexagonal stock only available in sizes Too Small or Too Large.

BENCH GRINDER - Motorized launch pad for small parts. Can only be used when the operator's body is directly in the line of fire. Spark generator function is most effective when open solvents are nearby.

FILE - a primitive tool designed to prevent the operator from seeing what the tool just did. Files are used to make everything too small.

MITER SAW - cuttting a to small piece of wood WILL result in kick-back!

SOB TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'SON-OF-A-B****!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Hope you found this informative.

Geraldo
11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
crabo, I had to wipe tears from my eyes while reading, partly from the fact that it was hilarious and partly from recalling the pain of wounds inflicted by certain of those tools. At one time or another, I'm sure every tool in my toolbox was the SOB tool.

I would add:

24 oz. claw hammer: used to smash your thumbnail or create blood blisters much faster than a lighter 16 oz. claw hammer.

82nd airborne
11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Thats about covers it. You have been to our shop, eh?

RobS
11-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Quite funny in nature and I enjoyed reading the post. The best thing is many here know that if you combine one or two of the above tools new possiblities come to light. :)

darthdave22
11-18-2010, 08:53 PM
That is great. Its good to know that I have used all of these tools for their intended uses.:bigsmyl2:

hpdrifter
11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Too true, too funny.

HACKSAW revisitied. Unfortunately the best hacksaw ever made is made no longer. If you ever stumble across a simple looking hacksaw with a cast aluminum handle that has "Spartan" written in it; grab it. It will/might change your definition a little bit.

I use mine so much, some people claim I'm part hacksaw indian.

leadbutt
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
roflmao. nice one....... gj

L. Bottoms

captaint
11-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Enjoyable, because it's all too true !! Mike

alamogunr
11-19-2010, 01:30 AM
I don't drink beer, so the drill press can't sling one in my shop, but, I tried to take a short cut to attaching a screw eye to an ingot and lost my grip on it. The imbalance broke the drill bit and slung the ingot across the shop. That was six weeks ago. I found the ingot while straightening up last week. Lesson learned: Use something else to anchor a tarp for catching ejected brass.

John
W.TN

Czech_too
11-19-2010, 07:03 AM
ROUTER, whether portable or bench mounted - Now is the feed direction clockwise or counterclockwise? You'll find out if it's wrong fast enough.

MITER SAW - cuttting a to small piece of wood WILL result in kick-back!

defib
11-20-2010, 06:59 AM
The tool that starts the rounding over of the head on the bolt. Finished with the pliers. Great for adding scars to knuckles when you forget the rule of pull don't push a wrench!

chboats
11-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Finally the true explaination of how tools work. The sad part is that it wouldn't be funny if it weren't true.

Rocky Raab
11-20-2010, 11:41 AM
ALLEN WRENCH - Small "L" shaped bits of hexagonal stock only available in sizes Too Small or Too Large.

BENCH GRINDER - Motorized launch pad for small parts. Can only be used when the operator's body is directly in the line of fire. Spark generator function is most effective when open solvents are nearby.

HeavyMetal
11-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I've just seen a complete discription of my entire garage!

crabo
11-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Rocky, I will have to add these to the list. I knew I would not be the only one to identify with these. Too much truth to argue with.

home in oz
11-21-2010, 03:30 PM
crabo, I just bet you have a box of bandaids/first aid kit on your workbench?

Rocky Raab
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
FILE - a primitive tool designed to prevent the operator from seeing what the tool just did. Files are used to make everything too small.

crabo
11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
crabo, I just bet you have a box of bandaids/first aid kit on your workbench?

It's pretty amazing how often at school I say, "see this scar, this is what happens when you...."

alamogunr
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I resemble most of these remarks.

John
W.TN

home in oz
11-22-2010, 12:40 PM
crabo, are you a shop teacher?

Harter66
11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
How about the screw extracter kit that is designed expressly for the installation of tool steel inserts in broken mild steel studs in aluminum castings/forgings to prevent removal.

None of this is the least bit funny.................while its happening to you.

I once had mower I used to test the integrity of pop-up sprinklers and picture windows. Twice in a month.

BOOM BOOM
11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
HI,
Thank you ,
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE.:Fire::Fire:

Ironrangenate
12-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Man, that was funny. I am going to print this page and show it to my dad. He will love it. Thanks

DragoonDrake
12-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I needed that laugh thank you so much. It also got me yelled at by my swimbo since she is studying for a final. It was worth it though.