PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to reduce powder charge with cast?

MS1361
11-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I have watched this forum in the past and finally decided to join today. It looks like the place for a lot of good input!

I shoot my Super Redhawk 44 Mag with 23.5 grain W296 topped with a Nosler 240 gr JHP. This worked well on whitetail last year. This year I would like to try my own boolits (Lee 240 SWC) but was warned I need to back off significantly on the powder charge due to higher pressures with cast boolits. Other than needing to move back to the starting load recommendations and work up from there, do I need to go lower than that? Is this a valid concern?

I have done a fair amount of searching on the net and in my manuals and have not found anywhere this was directly addressed.

Thanks in advance!

Rocky Raab
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
First, welcome.

Now to the meat of your question. Cast bullets actually create LESS pressure, not more. That's because they "slide" through the bore easier than gilding metal jackets.

The there's the issue of W296/H110, which should never be reduced - as clearly stated in the manuals. You'd be FAR better off to change powders when you advance to cast bullets. There are lots of excellent choices, but the classic choices of Unique for mid-range loads and 2400 for full-power will still work just fine.

Order the just-released Lyman #4 Cast Bullet manual and study it. I think it will answer your general questions. I haven't seen a copy, but I'd bet a doughnut right now that they list few if any loads using W296/H110 with cast bullets.

NSP64
11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Welcome MS1361,
Is the lee a plain base or gaschecked? What are you using for lead? If casting water dropped wheel weights or lino with a gaschecked boolit. That load is probably close. You can back it down to starting load and work up for accuracy.

Larry Gibson
11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
MS1361

It is my experience loading for the .44 magnum (40+ years) that 296/H110 is not the best powder choice with PB cast bullets under 250 gr. Both powders must be loaded at the top end as Rocky mentions. The lighter bullets many times do not have the inertia/mass for consistent ignition and I have gotten totally incomplete ignition with the bullets sticking in the barrel forcing cone. If your Lee bullet is the GC'd 240 gr SWC then you might do ok with WQ'd WW + 2% tin alloy and 296/H110 powder. However, if your Lee is the PB TL design I would suggest faster burning powders that ignite consistently.

Many, including me, prefer a powder like Unique for such bullets. I find between 8.5 and 10 gr to be a very pleasant and accurate .44 load. For magnum level loads I would suggest Bluedot working from 14.5 gr up to 17.5 gr. Another excellent powder with 240 gr SWCs is 2400. Loads from 18.5 up to the classic Keith load of 22 gr work well. I use Javelina lube or Lars equivelent and size at .430 for the four .44s I have. I have and use the TL430-240-SWC and use it over 8.5 gr Unique. I size them at .430 and lube with the Javelina but have used LLA with equal success in that load.

Larry Gibson

454PB
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
If the boolits fit and are properly lubricated, yes. I've used that recipe with various plain based cast boolits for 39 years.

However, I have to agree with the previous posts that the use of a gas checked boolit, or a lighter charge of a faster burning powder will produce better results quickly.

The Bluedot recipes that Larry mentioned are my favorites.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Have been shooting 19gr. of AA #9 behind a 310gr. LBT/WFN boolit for a number of years.

This gives me a slight bit over 1300fps from a 5.5" Redhawk.

If you are shooting a reasonable boolit, you should have no problem.

The listed boolit is a gas check design and is cast from WW, sometimes cold water quenched directly from the mold but back awhile, just air cooled.

Works both ways.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

stubert
11-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I shoot 22.5 gr. of ww296, mag primer, 245 gr. Lyman swc using a/c # 2 alloy, 1.7" col. Plain base, lubed with orange magic. powerfull, accurate, deadly and no leading in my SRH.

MS1361
11-18-2010, 08:53 PM
To help clarify, I am shooting the TL430-240-SWC and using alox as my lube both before and after sizing to .430. I am using near pure lead that is probably too soft. I have a nearly unlimited supply of this stuff, I just need to learn more about alloys, quenching, etc. I have been reloading for quite a few years but am relatively new to casting for anything other than muzzle loaders.

I tried Blue Dot in the past with 240 gr JHP and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. W296 has been great with those bullets and a mag primer. I shoot one Super Redhawk with a 9 1/2 barrel and one with a 7 1/2 barrel.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I have a lot of learning to do but that's half the fun.

Larry Gibson
11-19-2010, 01:58 AM
MS1361

"To help clarify, I am shooting the TL430-240-SWC and using alox as my lube both before and after sizing to .430. I am using near pure lead that is probably too soft. I have a nearly unlimited supply of this stuff, I just need to learn more about alloys, quenching, etc. I have been reloading for quite a few years but am relatively new to casting for anything other than muzzle loaders."

Based on that I'd suggest with that bullet of that alloy that you slow it way down to avoid leading. The range lead I use with that bullet is pretty soft at 6-7 BHN. I add 2% tin to it for better castability in the TL mould. I load the TL 240 SWCs over 5 gr Bullseye which give 785 fps out of my 6 1/2" Ruger FTBH.

I also suggest you get Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. It is the basic source of casting information and will give you a solid bases for starting out.

Larry Gibson

WILCO
11-19-2010, 02:17 AM
I have done a fair amount of searching on the net and in my manuals and have not found anywhere this was directly addressed.

Welcome aboard!

Cast boolits are a different breed of animal and I'd recommend the following books to study up on as they will address alot of your questions.

44man
11-19-2010, 09:05 AM
To help clarify, I am shooting the TL430-240-SWC and using alox as my lube both before and after sizing to .430. I am using near pure lead that is probably too soft. I have a nearly unlimited supply of this stuff, I just need to learn more about alloys, quenching, etc. I have been reloading for quite a few years but am relatively new to casting for anything other than muzzle loaders.

I tried Blue Dot in the past with 240 gr JHP and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. W296 has been great with those bullets and a mag primer. I shoot one Super Redhawk with a 9 1/2 barrel and one with a 7 1/2 barrel.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I have a lot of learning to do but that's half the fun.
You have not read enough of my posts! :drinks:
Your boolit is too soft, bad lube, sized too small, will not work with a fast powder.
Need case tension on a harder boolit and a slower start. I have never had a problem with 296 with any .44 boolit, been shooting it since 1956 and 296 since it came out.
Done right, the .44 can shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards but not with a semi wad cutter! The SRH is one of the most accurate and I shot many beer and pop cans at 200 yards with mine. (Scope and bags.)
Your start is water dropped WW boolits, go harder for fast powders.
Change to Felix lube. Use a Fed 150 primer with 296 and all the faster powders.

ScottJ
11-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I've only been casting a year and just recently traded someone here for the same mold.

Cast from air cooled wheel weights and started out with 6.6gr Trail Boss. Very mild (makes my 629 Classic feel like a .380) and no leading. About 800 fps over a chrono.

Those worked so well I decided to try 8.5gr Unique. Definitely more oomph and only a couple spots of lead mid barrel after 50 rounds. Have yet to chrono them.

I don't despise Lee Alox like many here do but in the year I've been casting I've learned its limitations. It won't prevent leading in front of WW296 (first powder I ever loaded with). Just simply too much snort there.

Bass Ackward
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Kinda late in this ballgame. Can't imagine that season is to far away anywhere.

I would recommend you stay with your jacketed recipie and start your experimentation after season.

jecjec13
11-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I use the lee 240 gr. TL mold, lubed with xlox from whitelube. all on top of 5.5 gr. of international clays. mild load that will drop a whitetail in its tracks at 65 to 70 yards. very little to no lead after 100 rounds.