PDA

View Full Version : Books on Casting

joelpete
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have a favorite book on casting? Like a Dummies guide to casting boolits? I'm reading Lee's Modern Reloading and I find it easy to read and highly informative, but I'd like to find something specific to casting, and even more specifically, casting for smokeless.

x101airborne
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Lyman's book and Jackete Performance from Cast Bullets are two that come to mind. i did a search on amazon for the subject and came up with a few, but it got me started.

lawboy
11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Some of my favorites are:
1. Cast Bullets (Col E.H. Harrison USA (ret.)) NRA publication 1979
2.The Art of Casting Bullets (Articles taken from Handloader and Rifle magazines 1966-1981)
3. Older editions of Handloader's Digest. Look for 7th, 8th, 9th editions, etc. at gun shows. These books have a lot of great articles on casting.

geargnasher
11-17-2010, 03:42 PM
+1 on all the above, Lyman's and Veral's books would be my first purchases. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd ed. is rather dated, they've been supposed to release the 4th ed. for some time now, if you wait a bit longer you might try for one of those. In the meantime, get a copy of Veral Smith's "Jacketed performance from cast bullets", it's an eye opener as far at the loading and shooting end of things goes. The Lyman book covers the basics of casting and metallurgy that everyone doing this needs to know.

Gear

GRUMPA
11-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah I'm with gear on the Jacketed performance with cast bullets. That is THE book that got me into casting years ago. The author really put his years of knowledge in rather simple and easy english. Mine sits on the shelf, very easy to reach to refresh my memory. I do have the older lyman books but his just goes a bit further as far as what you can really do with lead.