PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Shop Visit

GLL
10-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Several members have mentioned the local radiator shop as a great source of tin (60/40 solder). I gave it a try yesterday and was pleasantly surprised ! The shop owner and I struck a deal that I could have the small amount of scrap (sludge) in his cleaning tank for $12.00 but I had to muck it out myself. He furnished the long rubber gloves and along with the Mexican helpers got to watch while eating their lunch.

I recovered 41 pounds of "stuff" out of the tank (semi-dry weight), paid my $12.00, and drove away happy.

I washed the muck a bit to remove the anti-freeze and the finest oxides (mainly rust). Heating the stuff was a pretty stinky job and the neigborhood smelled like a major antifreeze leak. I watched the heating process upwind and indoors until it volatized off.

The result was 22 pounds of solder from the original 41 pounds of muck for $12.00. It was a fair amount of dirty work but the result was well worth it. It worked out the cost of the tin content alone was a little less that $1.00 per pound. The owner told me to come back again next month for another lunch time adventure ! :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/7D15931F35477FE/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3D9E4C790723581/standard.jpg

targetshootr
10-07-2006, 06:12 PM
The things we do for fun. Nice catch.

Buckshot
10-10-2006, 11:23 AM
.............Those are pretty ingots :-). They'll be a valuble source of 'sweetening' for your pistol boolits. However to date, every slug you've shown a photo of has appeared as close to perfect as I've ever seen.

...............Buckshot

Dale53
10-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Isn't it amazing what a "little hustle" will do for your fortunes? You know what they say, "The harder I work, the luckier I get":mrgreen:

Great catch!!

Dale53

six_gun
10-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I took my wife's car to a radiater shop to get a new radiater and when I went to pick it up I asked about sodder. I mentioned that I would like to muck out his tank and he said he already had. He showed me a 5 gallon bucket full of drippings that he had cleaned and was going to use it for tinning but it was too much trouble. I asked him what he wanted for the bucket and he said, "Oh, I guess 5 bucks." I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. This stuff is splatters and such but it is all cleaned and shinney. I just put a handful in each new pot of lead and the bullets really come out fine.

Sixgun