PDA

View Full Version : how young to shoot?

leadbutt
11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
hey all. i have 2 lil girls ive been blessed with. 2/4 atm. my father taught me to shoot early in life and i plan to do the same for them. my 4yr old has a lil issue with loud noises so im trying to figure a way for her to get use to it. ive been thinking cap guns maybe? maybe start her off with a nice air rifle? am i trying too early? she might be in pre-k but i have her doing 1st grade math. anyway im lookin for opinions and experienced answers for this. thx in advance.

L. Bottoms

another gsxr 1k
11-16-2010, 10:49 PM
The four year old might be ready to get an understanding of what they do and that they aren"t toys. That its not like on tv, where they get back up and are fine 20 minutes later. As for the loud noise issue, I cant help there.

With my daughter at four years old she expressed some curiosity about my pistols. None were suitable for her to try shooting. What I did was take her to the grocery to get a honeydew melon. Let her pick it out and get a second one for later. I took one of the melons out in the back yard and put it on a stump and shot it from about 10 yards with a +P .45acp and made melon mush. Then I brought her up to it and showed her the few identifiable pieces left, and explained about the once you pull the trigger there is no taking it back, etc.

After that her interest dropped until she was about 11. Now she is trying to put me in the poor house, by feeding her shooting habit.
Thank god for this place... I now cast and reload my own ammo, but the 600-800 rounds of .38 / .357 / .45 acp per month still add up.

I'd say you might try the air rifle first, then maybe the cap gun for the noise issue. Good luck

Hurricane
11-16-2010, 10:50 PM
They have to be old enough to understand the need for safety and to know the meaning of hurting or killing someone if they are careless with the gun. They also need to be big enough to handle the gun properly without losing control of the gun. Something I heard on this subject is, would you give them $100 to go alone to a store and buy something for you. About 8th grade sounds right for me. When the time is right, start with an air gun and later upgrade to a 22 rifle.

Echo
11-16-2010, 10:51 PM
A .22 and ear plug would be my suggestion. May as well start with the real McCoy...

autofix4u
11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I started my girls at 4 with air rifles. Moved to rimfires about 6. The oldest is 15 now and shots a 45-70 now with no issues. My 14 year old "thinks shooting is stupid", But can still out shot me anyday. The 9 year old will shot the 22s and the 7X57 but nothing bigger, and she can almost out shoot me.
So start early but dont push them, if they dont like it just lay off for a while they will come around.

ihmsakiwi
11-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi Leadbutt,

My soon to be soon to be 16 Y.O. daughter started helping me re-load as soon as she could help sort brass. She learned to count also doing this as she put them in piles of tens, then fives, then other numbers as she caught on. She shot her first .22 pistol at about six off the bench rest and starting competing in IHMSA club day matches at ten.
She took out the National girls ( 4 shooters) title at 12,13,and 14 years of age.
She is currently resting as it seems she is getting called a "nerd" by her peers and she is at that age that her peers seem to have more influence on her than us!!
She has her own PINK Browning silhouette pistol which the local club allows her to shoot in all disciplines even though technically the PINK stocks are not factory. Why bother the kids with the technical stuff when we need to be fostering their interest in shooting sports. Peter.

dale2242
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
My father bought me a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun when I was 6 yrs. old. He was always present to supervise my shooting at that young age.
He bought me a SS 22 lr when I was 8 yrs old. Same supervision as above.
I killed my first deer at the age of 12 with my grandpas 25-20.
I did the same with my son. ALWAYS supervise the young ones when they are shooting, even the air guns, until you are absolutely sure they are safe with a gun.
Safety....Safety... Safety
dale

Char-Gar
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Each child has a different interest and maturity level and the parent must make the decision on the fly. My son showed interest as soon as he could toddle. I waited until he turned five and started him with a good Stevens Favorite SS in 22 LR. The girl had zero interest until she turned 16 when she asked me to teach her how to shoot a pistol. I started with a Smith and WEsson 22 revolver and moved to a K frame first with 38 Wadcutter, then service loads and then full snort magnum loads. She did well with them all, but prefered the 38 Special service loads.

When she turned 18 I gave her a Smith Model 66 with a 2.5" bbl. I picked up a great great floral carved S.D. Meyers Threeperson's holster and belt for it in a New Mexico thrift store for $25.00. It was a woman's rig to start with so it fit her to a T. It was a little shabby, so I took it to the local saddle shop and had it dyed black. It looked like new.

She took it to College with her, but had to leave it off campus. There was a Pharmacy student a few years older who agree to keep it in his apartment as he liked guns as well. They went shooting and she brought her empty cases back to me to be reloaded. They have been married for 15 years now. They still shoot together and the Meyers rig still fits her.

The son has turned into a gun nut and now has two safe's. Slowly I am giving him some primo pieces. The last was a nice Smith 29 and a Winchester 12 shotgun.

11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
My Dad or Grandfathers were not hunters but I did have access to a 22 single shot early on. My neighbor and I killed 27 squirrels out of 28 bullets with it when I was just a small kid. Never fired a center fire until the Marines and fired Expert so my 22 days paid off. All the kids got to help clean and fire the pistols/rifles any time they wanted (under strict supervision). I made sure our children learned about all calibers/bores early on and stressed safety above all. With each one I set up a milk jug of water near the rear patio. I accidentally let a round off and the jug would explode-they never forgot it and are so very safe with firearms. My daughter has her CCP and fires regularly. She got an "M" style SKS for her 14th and my 38 snubbie after college. The boys have a nice collection and are avid hunters. We occasionally get to fire a bit together and the competition gets hard. Passing on my 700 to the eldest for Christmas as he likes to "keep 'em in the black".

old turtle
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I started my kids (one boy and one girl) at about six. Paige my daughter might have been five. We used a single shot 22. I taught them to always open the action on any fire arm and check the chamber. If they do not know how to do it to leave the firearm alone and get away from any one who picks it up with out checking. The training stuck to this day. Maybe too good as Paige now out shoots me. I also taught them at a range with strict rules.
I am now looking forward to teaching my two granddaughters.

woody1
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
You've got lots of opinions and experiences now. Make your own decision based on your own kids and situation. My advice to you is to never let them shoot any firearm without ear protection. Try to make sure the gun fits them. Keep what they shoot reasonable. Do not be a moron and have your kid shoot your 12 gauge or 30-06 or .... you get the point. I know, there's going to be those who say, well I did and it never......! Regards, WOody

SharpsShooter
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Quality hearing protection is absolutely a requirement. An air gun is a fine spot to start, but don't buy a pneumatic that requires a pet gorilla to pump up. C02 guns are not that expensive to feed if you buy cartridges in bulk.

See

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-2260-co2-rifle.shtml

And

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Crosman_12_Gram_CO2_40_Cartridges/257

Also if you wish to stick with 22lr, use shorts to reduce the noise.

Another option is an airsoft rifle. They can be had in kid size, electric powered, ammo is so cheap it's ridiculous and the ones I have fooled with are remarkably accurate.

I started my son at age 4 and he is now 10. This year during youth deer season he killed one of the biggest whitetail doe I have ever seen with a single shot.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/Sams1stDeer-MyFirstone.jpg

:D

SS

WILCO
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
It's my opinion 4 years old is too young. Wait till 9 years. Quality ear plugs are a must. Don't rush it.

AZ-Stew
11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Wow! How did that big doe get a single shot? :holysheep It's a good thing your son shot first! :kidding:

I started my son early. Shortly after he was able to talk, he was sitting on my lap before bed time learning the parts of his rifle. I bought him a Ruger #3 single-shot .45-70 200 year commemorative because he was born in 1976. No, that's not what he started shooting with. I think he was in his late teens or early twenties before he tackled that one. Anyway, when he was four and wanted to go to the range with me, I bought a Remington bolt action .22 and cut it down to fit him. First the butt stock. It fit, but the rifle was out of proportion. So I cut down the barrel to 18" or so. It still didn't look right, so I cut the foreend back some. He and my two girls learned with that rifle, as did my grand daughter. More grand kids are in line, and when they're ready, it will train them.

BE SURE THE RIFLE FITS THS KID! I see so many parents trying to teach kids to shoot using rifles with butt stocks that are too long. The kid ends up with the stock under his/her arm and then can't see the sights. Then Dad starts to get frustrated, the kid's trying as hard as he can, and eventually, both leave the range in a bad mood. That's a VERY poor way to start a youngster in shooting. Make it easy for them. Put a decent scope on the rifle and make sure the comb of the stock puts his eye in line with it. Kids love to be successful with new endeavors. If they start hitting the target right away they will be more willing to learn new techniques as they progress. Save the open sights until they have the trigger and breathing skills mastered.

Get them a good set of ear muffs. Kids sizes are available. Same with eye protection. If you can't find kids sizes, let me know and I'll give you a contact. Kids eye protection goggles (decent ones) are available from outfits that sell science materials to schools. You can probably get the ear muffs from Midway.

Regards,

Stew

DIRT Farmer
11-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I started my kids as soon as they could pick up a toy gun. the rules were the same as real guns. When they demonstrated muzzle controll and train of thought that I felt it would be safe to move up they did. My daughter hunted and shot with me till she was 12 then madethe decision not to hunt. Both boys still shoot, hunt, and compete. All of the grand kids who are old enough and show responsibility are out with us. Each of my kids and grandkids have started at different ages, as they demonstrated the maturity I expected. They have ranged from 6 to 11.

GARCIA
11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I started the formal training as soon as they showed an interest. They both started with an old single shot 22 Winchester shooting CB's and shorts. They progressed from there. Never were around any shooting unless they wore both eye and ear protection.

One of the things that I did do and will probaly catch flak from some of you is to show them just how destructive a CB or short can be at close range. Apples and Oranges coming apart was an attention getter. Explained to them that this is what occurs when you get shot. Left a lasting impression on them to this date.

My oldest son has blessed me with two grandchildren. He is now teaching his 4yr old about weapons. Grandpa has sat back and watched and seen how his son is now teaching his son. Makes me proud.

Tom

azcruiser
11-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Think a 22 bolt action single shot or clip fed/ That shoots shorts long and long rifle is the way to go. Thats what I started with used to practice with 22 shorts and dad would get me a box of long rifle hollow points for hunting .

stainless1911
11-17-2010, 06:30 PM
When they can recite and understand the 4 basic safety rules, and demonstrate a devent amount of an ability to follow directions. I started mine with a rubber dart gun when she was 4, she had toy capguns earlier. Then a BB gun when she was 5. Took her to shoot a Walther P22 when she was almost 7, and at 7 I got her a 10-22. Before she ever had live ammo in her hand, she knew how to handle the gun. I also took her out in the garage (July 4th ;) and let her see what a .40JHP would do to a gallon of water. I shot through a car door, and showed her the recovered bullets. Be careful not to frighten them at this point. I wanted her to understand the power of a gun before she was allowed to handle them. She could field strip the gun before she could physically pull the slide back.

Note position of trigger finger. You can see the breech face, its empty, I don't want to hear it.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/stainless1911/EkoWithDadsXD40.jpg

This summer.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/stainless1911/PICT0091.jpg

Ajax
11-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I started my son at 6 with a crickett .22 and he graduated 3 years ago to my savae 22 bolt action. I am a big fan of single shots for kids cause they are less likely to have a negligent discharge after firing the first shot.

Andy

ole 5 hole group
11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
What is the age of reasoning? 7 maybe 8 yoa? For those of you that started out with Daisy BB rifles while you were in “training pants” – remember the stupid stuff you did when you didn’t think anyone was watching? Hate to see what would have occurred if you were shooting 22 shorts.

Your kids won’t be any different. Double digits is soon enough (10) for a 22rf – 6 or 7 is ok for a BB gun but be prepared to deal with a few “I don’t know how that happened”.

stainless1911
11-17-2010, 10:44 PM
double tap

stainless1911
11-17-2010, 10:44 PM
yeah, Ive been there. poor sparrows. [smilie=1:

Suo Gan
11-17-2010, 11:00 PM
When they can recite and understand the 4 basic safety rules, and demonstrate a devent amount of an ability to follow directions. I started mine with a rubber dart gun when she was 4, she had toy capguns earlier. Then a BB gun when she was 5. Took her to shoot a Walther P22 when she was almost 7, and at 7 I got her a 10-22. Before she ever had live ammo in her hand, she knew how to handle the gun. I also took her out in the garage (July 4th ;) and let her see what a .40JHP would do to a gallon of water. I shot through a car door, and showed her the recovered bullets. Be careful not to frighten them at this point. I wanted her to understand the power of a gun before she was allowed to handle them. She could field strip the gun before she could physically pull the slide back.

Note position of trigger finger. You can see the breech face, its empty, I don't want to hear it.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/stainless1911/EkoWithDadsXD40.jpg

This summer.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/stainless1911/PICT0091.jpg

She's a keeper!!

I started at 6 myself, guns were everywhere, in the truck, in the tractor. I think starting her the way you are will help her through those lessons I learned the hard way. I drove the both the truck and the tractor at age six, had my own handgun by age ten when I ran a small trap line before school started. Dad showed me something one time and then I was expected to know it. When I was in Kindergarten my mom showed me the way to walk home one time that morning. We just don't give kids that kind of upbringing anymore. Would be deemed child endangerment or abuse. A little self reliance never hurt anyone, even the little guys. Good for you!

stainless1911
11-18-2010, 12:05 AM
thanks. she will be the one kid out of the group who knows what to do, and not do, when one of them says "Hey look, Ive got dad's gun, they won't be home until later."

lylejb
11-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Every kid is different. I don't think there's an exact age thats "the right time"

I started my son with a Daisy "buck" (the smallest model) BB gun for Christmas, after his 4th birthday, so he was almost 5.

In hindsite, it was too early for him. He didn't have the attention span to shoot more than a few shots. didn't have much coordination at that age either.

I set up a couple of bales of hay for a backstop, and some pop cans for targets. He didn't hit much, and theirfor, it wasn't much fun.

It mostly sat in the closet for about a year or so. When he was 6, he was big enough to get sites figured out, and started making some hits. Then it became fun for him.

I always let him decide when he's had enough shooting, and still do to this day ( he's 10 now).

He's shot my 22's, and my 38. hasn't worked up the nerve to try the 45 yet.

Last christmas, he got his own 22 and 410 shotgun combo set. Now he thinks he wants "a sniper" ever since he saw a picture of a Barrett 50 cal. He'll have to wait a while for that one. (like 'til he can buy one himself).

One bonus with starting them with a Daisy BB gun is when they are that small, they can't cock the lever by themselves. AKA they CAN'T try to sneak it out and shoot someting, because they can't get it cocked. this reinforces the supervision rule.

SciFiJim
11-18-2010, 02:01 PM
One bonus with starting them with a Daisy BB gun is when they are that small, they can't cock the lever by themselves. AKA they CAN'T try to sneak it out and shoot someting, because they can't get it cocked. this reinforces the supervision rule.

I learned when I was about 4 how to cock one. You place the barrel in the dirt and lean on the cocking lever. What I am saying is don't use your belief that they can't do something as a safety! They will surprise you.

Markbo
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
..... 2/4 atm....

I was going to throw in and realized I had no idea what that part of your messages means. None. not a clue. I am not smart enough to answer. :lol:

SciFiJim
11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
2 & 4 At The Moment

Markbo
11-18-2010, 02:10 PM
....Note position of trigger finger. You can see the breech face, its empty, I don't want to hear it....
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/stainless1911/EkoWithDadsXD40.jpg]

1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.
3. Be sure of your target and know what lies behind it.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on target.
5. Be sure your guns are never accessible to unauthorized or untrained individuals.

Just because she is not breaking all 4 does not mean she isn't breaking at least one. Don't be a hypocrite... she either is or she isn't.

stainless1911
11-18-2010, 02:12 PM
She actually asked me about this before the photoshoot. I told her that there is an exception to every rule.

felix
11-18-2010, 02:30 PM
She is smarter than you are, and there is no doubt about that! ... felix

Blammer
11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
I wrestled the same question when my kids were young.

Start at the beginning with them. Your wanting them to shoot. That's towards the end.

Take it slow, build the interest and the knowledge that will lead to safe firearms handling for the rest of their life.

I opted to tell them about guns and tell them the RULES! The first thing my kids could tell you were the rules and that was before they even saw a gun.
(my suggested rules)
1. IF YOU SEE A GUN COME TELL MOM OR DAD OR AN ADULT.
2. DON'T TOUCH THE GUN.
3. ONLY HANDLE A GUN WITH ME!

Then I taught them the safety rules.
1. ALWAYS KEEP IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION.
2. KEEP FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO SHOOT.
3. GUN WILL BE UNLOADED UNTIL READY TO USE.

Kids like rules, make it a game it'll be fun to learn the rules.

Then I talked to them about how dangerous guns could be.
Then I showed them. Took a gallon jug full of water put a good soft HP 38 mag through it and made it explode. They understood that well.

All of this has taken place of the course of a few YEARS! Yes, years!

I don't talk guns and hunting and shooting all the time and I don't push it on my kids. If they show an interest I make sure I show them the CORRECT way to do it.

It was not until this last month the kids actually shot the guns for the first times themselves. They are 7 and 9 now. My 7yr old doesn't quite have the fine motor skills to make really good consistent shooting but my 9yr old does. With my target 22lr she put 5 shots into a 30 cal hole at 7 yds. :) My 7yr old was doing the same but into an inch.

We have gone squirrel hunting and they love that! (I'm the only one with a gun and shooting the squirrels) but they enjoy the hiking and spotting of them.

My advice is, take it slow, teach the safety rules, build the interest IF it's there, and along the way you'll all have lots of fun!

jecjec13
11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
My daughter started shootin at 6, by 7 she was better than I. She is now 34 and can still beat me on the skeet field. but by all means teach safty first. and let her progress at her own pace and yes ear plugs are a must for all young ears.

BOOM BOOM
11-20-2010, 08:02 PM
HI,
All 5 of my kids shot a 22 pistol & rifle at 2.
Then shot 38"s in my 357 at 3.
At 4 they shot a 44special in my 44.
At 5 they shot a 45 blk. powder revolver.
At 7 they shot my 7MM/06.
ALL WITH CAST BOOLITS OF COURSE!

OK ,so I held the gun & they pulled the trigger, so what!
So now the wife & I are the only ones without a CCW.

THEY ARE READY WHEN THEY ARE READY.
THEY DID NOT TOUCH A GUN WITHOUT PRMISSION, EVER.

stainless1911
11-20-2010, 08:47 PM
so, get a CPL then... Until then, check out open carry dot org, and see what the laws are in your state.

jmsj
11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Lots of good information here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.
For us it depends on the individual child on when they start shooting. First we had to show an interest, second we had to understand gun handling safety protocols, third we had to be able to be focused and do what we were told w/out arguing or wanting to discuss it and lastly we had to understand that shooting was a privelage that comes w/ a lot of responsibility and consequences.
I was probably 5 when I started shooting, by age 9 or 10 I was allowed to roam my Grandparent's farm w/ a .22 or .410 shotgun.
My daughter was 5 when she started shooting and my son at 6 1/2 has not.
My daughter is now 10, she shoots a lot and has not expressed a desire to shoot anything bigger than a .22 rifle and pistol and I will not encourage her to do so.
Good luck, jmsj

Down South
11-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I started both of my daughters shooting when they were about 10 yrs of age. That was a long time ago. I started them with my 22 rim fire with careful supervision. Both are avid hunters now. my youngest daughter came in last night dragging in a bobcat she shot from her stand. I normally let bobcats go but we are over run with them right now. The cat she has is a small one.
I know she looks young in the picture but she is 34 now.

I got to thinking after I made this post. Not everyone here is from Louisiana and does not know our hunting regulations here. Yes it is a legal kill. As long as the hunter has a valid big game license they can take one per year on private and other properties.

cbunt1
11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
My take on it? Don't "hide" it all from them, don't make it a mystery, and when they start to ask questions, answer them.

They'll tell YOU when the time is right! Let 'em go to the range with you if they're interested. When they're ready, they'll want to shoot...and that's the time to let 'em.

Of course, the whole time you've been teaching the basic rules every time the subject comes along. Don't make it scary and regimented...just factual. Same as "this is a tree, and that's a leaf"...

You (and they) will do fine.