PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Bullet for .45 Colt

Dragoon 45
11-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I am looking at possible surgery to fuse two vertabrae in my neck in the near future. The problems in my neck have also caused problems in my right arm. Up till now I have been shooting Lyman's 454190 over 37 grns of GOEX FFFg with excellent results. But now it looks like I will need to start shooting reduced loads in my .45 Colts. I have not seen any smaller bullets that look like they carry enough lube to work well with BP.

Can any one recommend a smaller 180-220 grn bullet that carries enough lube to work well in .45 Colt with BP?

Also how low in powder weight can you go using suitable fillers before the danger of squib rounds starts?

I would be shooting these loads in Ruger 5 1/2" Vaqueros and a Marlin 1894 with a 24" barrel.

I am also considering switching to .38/357 Mag, but consider that a last ditch option.

It just doesn't seem right to shoot the old guns or their replicas using smokeless powder.

Thank You.

cajun shooter
11-16-2010, 01:39 PM
You can look at the Accurate Molds site for a style he already makes or talk with Tom in designing what you need. I shoot 44-40 and had him redesign a bullet with wider and deeper lube grooves for BP. You can do the same for the 45Colt. I had Hoch molds build me one for the 45 Schofield that worked great. Tom at accurate is cheaper and does good work with brass molds.

Dragoon 45
11-17-2010, 09:14 PM
You can look at the Accurate Molds site for a style he already makes or talk with Tom in designing what you need. I shoot 44-40 and had him redesign a bullet with wider and deeper lube grooves for BP. You can do the same for the 45Colt. I had Hoch molds build me one for the 45 Schofield that worked great. Tom at accurate is cheaper and does good work with brass molds.

What weight are these bullets dropped from the Schofield mould? I would like to find something around 200 grns with large grease grooves.

Nobade
11-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Dick Dastardly's EPP-UG weighs 165gr, and certainly holds enough lube. It's useful to maybe 50 yards but not much beyond that. I shoot it in my Marlin 1894CB and Ruger Old Army. I don't have a .45 cal cartridge revolver so can't say how it works in those.

Dragoon 45
11-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Dick Dastardly's EPP-UG weighs 165gr, and certainly holds enough lube. It's useful to maybe 50 yards but not much beyond that. I shoot it in my Marlin 1894CB and Ruger Old Army. I don't have a .45 cal cartridge revolver so can't say how it works in those.

Who handles these moulds? Thanks

iron mule
11-17-2010, 11:15 PM
dick dasterdly
has the molds he is a vendor here trade name is big lube molds or bullets can't remember exactly which
he is a real good guy to do business with some of his molds are made by lee but he has found another source to make them for him but either would be good he checks them before he ships to make sure that they are in spec
check his web site he has several mold designs in the size you are looking for
mule

Gellot Wilde
11-18-2010, 07:56 AM

Can I inquire as to what weight bullet are you shooting in your Schofield?

Nobade
11-18-2010, 08:51 AM
You can find him at www.biglube.com

cajun shooter
11-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I shoot the 205 gr bullet in the Schofield. The molds that I had made by Accurate for the 44-40 drop at 210 with 20-1 alloy which is the same alloy used in the Schofield. I also used this bullet in the 45 Colt as it has much less recoil. The big lubes by DD will work up close but my custom bullets shoot circles around them at longer ranges. The reason being is the amount of drive band. I have had Big Lube bullets break at the base when seating. Springfield Slim has had the same problem as we discussed it. The heaver bullets do alright but when he goes and removes all the driving band to lighten the bullet you have problems.

Gellot Wilde
11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks.

Springfield
11-18-2010, 01:02 PM
There are a couple of bullet options that I know of. There is a 200 grain RNFP Big Lube Bullet, and also a 175 grain SWC Big Lube bullet. I also have a 205 grain mould that has larger then normal lube groove but not near as large as a true Big Lube. Worked fine in my pistols and rifle, though, when I shot it with 45 Schofield brass. And there is also the EPP-UG 155 grain bullet, but it probably won't feed in the rifle. All of these designs can be seen at www.whyteleatherworks.com look under accessories.

Dragoon 45
11-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the information.

StrawHat
11-19-2010, 06:49 AM
You could also try the old Collar Button Boolit, designed by Springfield for gallery loads in the Trapdoor. Lyman 457130, casts about 150 grains and has a large grease groove. There was at least 1 GB for this boolit. Maybe you could buy some boolits to try it.