PDA

View Full Version : Driving out sights and other things

TCLouis
10-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Is it universal machinist credo to drive out pins in tools (guns also) in only one direction, just like the sights on a gun barrel.

Replacing with just the opposite orientation.

Bret4207
10-07-2006, 08:50 AM
The books all say sights and pins go in from right to left. Whether or not they do depends on a persons interpretation of "right to left". I always figured I'd be on the left side of the gun facing the barrel end, with the butt or grip at my side. Thats the way my Dad's vise's were set up. If your set up is different, then you'd have to reverse the process.

Either way if you drive an object out of a tapered hole ( not usual with pins on guns) or slot (normal with a gun sight) in the "wrong" direction you'll either distort the slot/hole or the object it holds. Thats part of the reason you'll find a lot of shimmed sights, or center ounshed sight slots on various guns.

James Wisner
10-10-2006, 08:14 PM
There are some pins that will only go in one way.

The Browning BLR comes to mind. The actory has one end of the pins serated and they HAVE to come out one way and go back in the way the factory put them in.

Savage used a simlar pin on some of the M30/67 pump shotguns in the font of the trigger guard, again one way out and only one way back in.

And then there are some headed pins that will only fit in one way. It all depends on the firearm design.

Also there are some guns that you will never put back together without a slave pin. NEF single shot and Win M88 come to mind.

I hope this helps.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith