PDA

View Full Version : boolit recovery system

targetshootr
10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Not too long ago someone somewhere posted about using tire scrap in a 50 gal drum as a way to recover boolits which makes a lot of sense considering how ww suppliers are drying up. Anybody make a commercial version or know where to find a diagram on how to make your own? It would be great if it used a big plastic drum and had wheels too. I shoot a lot so something like that would be worth it. I bet the range owners wouldn't mind if I left it there for others to use too.

Leadslinger
10-14-2006, 11:29 AM
PM sent.

catkiller45
10-14-2006, 02:30 PM
You must be a trusting soul..At most ranges,there is always a few a holes that would either steal or trash it..I use a pile of sand at 150 yards to catch my 500 grainer bullets from my sharps rifle..

Cayoot
10-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Not too long ago someone somewhere posted about using tire scrap in a 50 gal drum as a way to recover boolits which makes a lot of sense considering how ww suppliers are drying up. Anybody make a commercial version or know where to find a diagram on how to make your own? It would be great if it used a big plastic drum and had wheels too. I shoot a lot so something like that would be worth it. I bet the range owners wouldn't mind if I left it there for others to use too.

I would be grateful to get this information also!

GP100man
10-14-2006, 09:59 PM
me to Leadslinger

ive often thuoght about it , mostly after shooting some big 310gr 44&200 gr357!

ron brooks
10-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Myself as well.

Ron

cropcirclewalker
10-14-2006, 11:16 PM
I live down here in the Ozarks on 90 acres. I have my own range.

I built a boolit trap where the (Pb) boolit hits at like a 45 degree angle and then spatters down into a bed of sand.

Not good. You try to refine the boolit spatterings out of the sand and she don't. It like sticks to the sand.

You gotta be careful with a trap anyway because if you or a friend shoots a jword into the trap it penetrates the steel and there you are. You get to start over.

Next, I lined up a bunch of logs (Red Oak, prolly 18" dia) with the first log (vertical) taking all the hits, but backed up by some more logs just in case.

I yam talking riflery here and my targets are 8 1/2 x 11 and most of the boolits hit like in a five inch group. 1500 fps pointed Pb boolit, after a few holes going into the same spot (a highly desirable condition) will start to go through a log of that size.

Curiously, I find boolits laying on the ground around the first log. I guess the shock of the initial boolits hitting the log like shatter the cords of the grain or something, who knows? but after 30 or 40 rounds into the log I start to see boolits laying on the ground.

It was my intent to put the initial log into the inverted lid of a burned out aluminum gas grill with a hole drilled in a low corner, fire it off, and let the lead drain out the hole.

I have not tried that yet, since I have probably recovered 10 lbs of boolits just laying around on the ground. Some of them are deformed and show signs of having been hit by a following boolit, but some of them look almost pristine (well, except for having gone through a log)

Time passes.

Eventually the front log just falls apart.

Replace the front log with the log behind it, (Rotate the stock for you grocery guys) and repeat. Stack the pieces of the front log behind the new front log and the initial log just sort of decomposes.

The boolits just sort of fall out in a heap.

Sorry, for youse guys that have to go to a public range, you are sort of screwed.

Back when I shot at a public range was a time when I used to do what I called.........

Mining the berm.

Especially the pistol ranges.

YMMV

Hope this helps.

Lloyd Smale
10-15-2006, 05:12 AM
I saw a picture of one on here last year and had my brother in law make me one. Its been godsent. Theres allready been about 300 lbs of lead saved by it!

Cayoot
10-15-2006, 08:30 AM
I saw a picture of one on here last year and had my brother in law make me one. Its been godsent. Theres allready been about 300 lbs of lead saved by it!

Can you post plans Llyod?

jhalcott
10-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Many public ranges forbid "mining the berms" as it increases erosion and can lead(as in LEED) to squabbles.

454PB
10-15-2006, 12:33 PM
I made one years ago similar to the metal one cropcirclewalker described. It worked fairly well, but was only 1/4" steel plate and eventually got beaten up so bad it was useless. If I were to make another, it would be at least 3/8" and 1/2" would be better. The trouble is that with those metal thicknesses, it can't be moved easily. If you have your own range, it would be fine.

The best design I've seen was at an indoor range I used as a guest. It incorporated a steel funnel-like back piece connected to a spiral chamber that sent the expended boolit for about two trips in a circle, then spit the lead out in a neat pile along side.

Johnch
10-15-2006, 12:44 PM
A guy down the road has a 24"-30" heavy wall flanged 90 with a 2-3"tail on the ground end .
He installed a gasketed plate on the ground end .
Filled it part way up with water and shoots into it .
The bullets either follow the 90 or deflect into the water

Every year or so , he emptys it and gives me the bullets .
A mix of jacketed and hard cast .
Have to be carfull melting them down , but free .

His bullet trap must weigh 500 lb and not very portable

Johnch

Johnch
10-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Was just thinking Savage sells a Snail trap
I saw 1 a few years back , but don't curentlly have access to take pics

But here is a web site on it
http://www.snailtraps.com/
Bet someone could make one

Johnch

targetshootr
10-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Action Target (http://www.actiontarget.com/_law/bullet_traps/the_portable_trap.html)makes one that sounds simple, a plywood front to slow the boolits then a steel plate to stop em. Not much of a picture to go by but the idea is good.

Lloyd Smale
10-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Can you post plans Llyod?
I dont have plans as like i said i didnt build it the brother in law did. But your welcome to come take a look anytime.

Cayoot
10-16-2006, 06:54 AM
I dont have plans as like i said i didnt build it the brother in law did. But your welcome to come take a look anytime.

Thanks Lloyd....I'm gonna have to find time to take you up on your gracious offer...it will give me another chance to drive over to (what I think) is one of the most beautiful areas in the world!

Mad Mucus
10-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Action Target (http://www.actiontarget.com/_law/bullet_traps/the_portable_trap.html)makes one that sounds simple, a plywood front to slow the boolits then a steel plate to stop em. Not much of a picture to go by but the idea is good.

My local 25yd indoor range has a similar set-up, obviously not so portabable but the method works well for recovery..... thick rubber mat over a heavy steel backing plate(back wall). The bullets simply pass through the rubber, hit the plate and drop to the floor. Works well with lead and Winclean but normal jacketed covers break and cut/tear on rebound.

HTH

Mucus