PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder throats, bore dia. Question:

Murphy
10-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Howdy men,

I've posted on this topic before, however I now have more information than I did previously.

Cylinder Throats: .430 (Maybe just a tad larger according to cylindersmith.com)

Bore Dia. I slugged the bore several times just to make sure. A soft lead slug driven in from the muzzle. To the utmost of my abilities, I find that I have a .430 bore.

(Okay, I know this is almost an unheard of thing. Cylinder throats and the bore dia. matching on a stock S&W handgun. But, it is what I have discovered).

I've done a great deal of reading on this topic the past several days, and have yet to come to a conclusion if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Both the cylinder throats and the bore dia. being the same.

I plan on shooting Lyman #429421's and a host of other cast boolits through this gun. A S&W Model 29 with a 4" tube.

I will eventually be looking for a 'mid range' load for it. But for now, will need to be working up some full power loads for hunting season.

Experiences?

Suggestions?

Many Thanks,

Murphy

Char-Gar
10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Cylinder throats exact to .001 over groove diamter is the best possible situation. Just relax and enjoy..You will have a great shooting handgun.

9.3X62AL
10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Full agreement with Chargar. Boolits at either .430" or .431" should do fine work.

44man
10-06-2006, 06:50 PM
I agree also. For cast a tiny amount larger on the throats is good, but I would not worry at all. I think you will find it shoots fine. Shoot your boolits unsized as long as they chamber.
Keep us posted.

Murphy
10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Currently the only sizer die's I own in .44 caliber are a .429 and a .430

My Lyman #429421 is an old four cavity, and not in the greatest of shape, out of round boolits.

I will be working with this until Catshooter's group buy for the #429421 show's up at my door. Then I'll go to work with the larger boolits & sizer die to see what I get. Untill then....I'll keep you kind folks posted.

Murphy

boogerred
10-06-2006, 11:12 PM
murph, i had a similar dilema with a ruger 32 mag. it wouldnt shoot jkt for nothing. the barrel slugged .3126 and the throats went from .3131 to .3137. the throats also looked like they had screw threads in them. i showed it to a buddy and he said it looked like it had been finished with a dull reamer. i turned a rod on the lathe to .3136 to use as a gauge rod . i then cut a slot in another rod to hold a piece of 400 grit paper and then made a guide bushing and honed the throats to .3136. i still have "screw threads" in the throats but not near as bad as before. the only die i have drops out at .313 so ill have to get a .314. just honing out most of the rough tool marks seems to have helped.