PDA

View Full Version : Having set-up problem with my Star

wallenba
11-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Guys, I got my first Star sizer a month ago. It's great but I'm having a problem with my rifle boolits getting their noses blunted when the new boolit pushes out the sized and lubed one. I've been using a short piece of dowel to ram them through before doing the next one, but that allows lube to flow making a mess on the next ones nose and wasting lube. Am I doing something wrong? Or is that just the way it is?:veryconfu

HeavyMetal
11-14-2010, 11:22 PM
How "blunted"? What type nose?

My guess is they are a tight fit in the sizer, your taking off more than .002, and the pressure to get these 'ramed" through the die is damaging the nose of the "pusher" boolit.

If they are a pointed 30 cal it makes it all the worse.

Alloy can be hardened up, a second die, slightly larger than what you have, can be used and then you "step down" to the diameter you want.

You have several ways to solve the problem I think we need a little more info on what the problem is.

wallenba
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
They are all Lee single ogive bullets. Some have a flat that might measure .125 across. Yep, they feel a bit tight in the die. My alloy is Lyman # 2 which adds to the dia. a bit. I have not invested a lot in Star dies yet, but I could get some Lee's to presize them a bit first, but the whole idea of getting the Star was to make things easier, and faster.

dragonrider
11-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Too much pressure on the lube spring. You only need enough pressure to keep the lube pump fed. Idealy there will be no pressure in front of the lube pump unless it is in use. I use the method you do also but I use a piece of brass about 1.5 inches long turned to .010" less than diameter of the boolit whenever I size spire point boolits. You will find the sweet spot eventually, keep trying.

Daddyfixit
11-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Guys, I got my first Star sizer a month ago. It's great but I'm having a problem with my rifle boolits getting their noses blunted when the new boolit pushes out the sized and lubed one. I've been using a short piece of dowel to ram them through before doing the next one, but that allows lube to flow making a mess on the next ones nose and wasting lube. Am I doing something wrong? Or is that just the way it is?:veryconfu

I can see where this can happen is some cases. The dowel could be made a little longer, if you push it though without lowering the handle all the way it won't push the lube plunger...keeping the lube off the nose of the next one?

Daddyfixit
11-15-2010, 02:28 AM

I can see where this can happen is some cases. The dowel could be made a little longer, if you push it though without lowering the handle all the way it won't push the lube plunger...keeping the lube off the nose of the next one?

Roundnoser
11-15-2010, 12:12 PM
This might sound silly, but try this idea: Rub a VERY tiny drop of RCBS case lube (or similar) between your finger and thumb and lightly handle the bearing surface of the bullet to be sized. Try not to get the case lube in the grease groove. In my experience the bullets pass through the die MUCH easier than otherwise. It will greatly decrease the amount of force / pressure needed to push that first bullet out the bottom of the die. I'm guessing it might help with your point-distortion problem.

Also, you could purchase a base-first top punch for your star. That too would correct the problem, and at the same time allow you to maintain the speed and volume of which you lube-size. -- I know for sure that Magma Engineering will make base-first top punches (I've talked to them about it) at your request. You will probably have to send them one of your bullets as a sample. --Might also want to try LatheSmith on this forum. He could probably make you that top punch at a very good price...and his quality is top notch!

wallenba
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Also, you could purchase a base-first top punch for your star. That too would correct the problem, and at the same time allow you to maintain the speed and volume of which you lube-size. -- I know for sure that Magma Engineering will make base-first top punches (I've talked to them about it) at your request. You will probably have to send them one of your bullets as a sample. --Might also want to try LatheSmith on this forum. He could probably make you that top punch at a very good price...and his quality is top notch!

I know that they make them...but would'nt that just reverse the sequence of the blunting? The base of the next boolit would have to push down on the previous ones nose.
I'll try the pre-lube, and try adjusting the pump plunger.

Roundnoser
11-16-2010, 03:04 AM
I know that they make them...but would'nt that just reverse the sequence of the blunting? The base of the next boolit would have to push down on the previous ones nose.
I'll try the pre-lube, and try adjusting the pump plunger.

Err...uhhhh...yeah. Don't think I thought that one all the way through, huh?!

OK, here's what you do....take your spire point bullets and melt them down. Then make round nose bullets...Problem solved. Gee, that was easy.:kidding:

cigarman454
11-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks Dragonrider for the input I need to lighten the spring pressure on my sizer.