PDA

View Full Version : Any Honda 4 wheeler techs about?

Ivantherussian03
10-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I have honda that is leaking gas through a hose connected to the bottom of the carb. The clamp/valve is tight, appears to be an internal type, but the gas still drips out.

any ideas?[smilie=1:

carpetman
10-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Ivan---Those Hondas get such good gas mileage they have to drain a little off. Maybe yours is draining too much and needs fixing. Sorry cant help you---but go over to accurate arms and there is a vehicle section there and someone pinpointed what the problem on my Honda was---if nobody can help you here.

twotoescharlie
10-06-2006, 08:58 AM
the hose at the botton of the carb is a drain hose, there should be a slotted screw just above the hose connection which is used to drain the carb. check and see if it is loose. there is another hose coming off the carb which is a overflow hose, if it is from here, you have got either float of float needle problems.

TTC

Ivantherussian03
10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
The honda is still not fixed, but the carb is cleaner now:-D I took it off, disconnected everything and disassemblied it, then cleaned it really good. It is leaking out of the bottom drain plug. I took out the drain screw/bolt; it is has a needle head on it; I replaced the O ring on that. I put it back together; and attempted to blow air through the drain plug, and sadly air went through it slowly. It runs still, and cleaned the air filter, but the leak is there. I know O rings get old, but do I need to replace the drain plug screw/bolt? [smilie=1:

Hip's Ax
10-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Is it indeed only a drain or is there also a brass tube pressed into the inside of the float bowl which would make that hose a drain hose but also a fuel level overflow hose?

Ivantherussian03
10-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah, there is a brass tube put in there about 2 or 3 inches long?

Hip's Ax
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Ivan, if you blow through that brass tube pressed into the float bowl and the air comes out the overflow hose attached to the bottom of the float bowl then you may not have a drain screw problem but a float/float valve problem and the carb is actually overflowing. Make sure the float valve seat is tight (some are pressed in so this point may be moot) and check the float valve for a wear ring and shake the float to see if theres any gas inside it. Then if every thing is OK reassemble the valve and float and check the float level. Always spray the seat and float valve just as you are dropping the valve into the seat, this will flush any particles away that might keep the valve from sealing. Rule of thumb for float height is with the float tang resting lightly against the float valve the arm (not the floats, the arm the floats contact or the arm the floats are mounted on) should be parallel with the gasket surface. Of course the best way is to have the proper factory spec for float height and measure it with a caliper but of course this is not always possible. It would help to know what year and model Honda 4 wheeler it is, I can look up the parts blow up diagram that way and make better suggestions.

Ivantherussian03
10-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks man. Like I said I cleaned it up, and wow; it sounded great. It is 1999 400 Honda Foreman. The leak was killing me. I called Anchorage, and shop time is pretty inexpensive. They can fine tune it and send it back. I mailed it today. I figured the float or needle are bad. In any event it should be fixed right and will be driving again soon. And then I will be shooting again.:-D :Fire:

Hip's Ax
11-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Glad to hear you have the problem in hand Ivan. Those large displcement 4 wheelers can have a lot of extra stuff added to the carb that can make for a trying day. When you get the carb back and get the 4 wheeler running again if it does overflow at first that is not unusual, get a soft block of wood and gently rap on the side of the float bowl to get the needle to seat. Good Luck.