PDA

View Full Version : Casting bench/table advice?

gunstocl
11-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I am just getting an area set up to start casting ( I am a newbie) with my LEE 4-20.
I would like make a table or bench to work at but my question is, do you cast standing or sitting?

I will be wearing a leather apron, gloves & face shield but my concern with sitting at a table is I can't move back quickly if something goes awry.

Am I worrying about nothing? Your experiences would be most useful to me.

Thanks, Gunstocl

Finster101
11-14-2010, 10:17 AM
I prefer standing

Ben
11-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I might be lazy, but when casting for hours, I do better sitting

By the way, my casting table is on wheels making it much easier on the old back
getting it outside and back inside when I'm finished casting :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Casting%20Table/PICT0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Casting%20Table/PICT0001-1.jpg

If I get a phone call, I'm ready for that also..............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Casting%20Table/PICT0004-1.jpg

iron mule
11-14-2010, 10:34 AM
hello and welcome to this crazy hobby

i cast sitting but i do not sit right on top of the pot and the area around me is clear // have had too many knee issues to stand for long//// also which ever position you decide on make sure that you get the height were it is comfortable to you too high and you will tire in the shoulders too low and you will feel it in the lower back
mule

Charlie Two Tracks
11-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I have an old dresser that is about 3 ft long. I screwed my 4-20 pot down to it and have a chair with rollers on it to sit in. I would have to do something VERY stupid to have to worry about jumping out of the way. Nothing is mounted or hung on the wall above the pot. The pot is secure to the dresser..... I put all my molds, spoons, elec. heating burner and gloves in the dresser. I can keep it halfway organized that way. I use an old desk for my reloading platform. The press and powder measure are mounted to the top and once again, all the equipment is stored in the desk. I had a 8x12 room with a roll up door inside of my garage for my tourning bike. I got rid of the bike this summer and now reload in that room. I can roll the door down and lock it. Even if I leave a mess, it looks good with the door down :)

winelover
11-14-2010, 10:57 AM
+1 on fastening the pot to the table! I use a C-clamp to avoid inadvertent dumping of pot into lap!

Winelover

HeavyMetal
11-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Casting in LA can certainly make you nervous about "floating" pots during an earthquake!

Never had the issue but have always made sure my stuff was not going to "chase" me if the weird happened during a casting session.

Hey I live in L.A. weird is "normal".

As to position while casting? Standing if I'm using a ladle setting if I am using the Lee six banger molds.

Doc Highwall
11-14-2010, 11:30 AM
I cast sitting. I also bought a large stainless serving tray from the local junk joint that has a raised lip that the pot sits on and the spilled lead just slides off.

geargnasher
11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
I used to cast standing, but have since graduated to sitting. My advice is to start off getting used to sitting so you won't have to make the adjustment later. Set yourself up with a comfortable rolling chair like an old office chair that encourages you to sit bolt-upright with both feet flat on the ground, your shoulders and elbows dropped and relaxed, and your hands straight in front of you. Get some scrap lumber, cinderblocks, cardboard boxes, or other stuff and make some "props", get your mould and pot and do some rehearsals. See how your positioning puts your body, make adjustments if you start crunching up your shoulders or craning your neck. You might be surprised how low your casting table needs to be, and you might need to elevate your pot off the table on a platform if using a bottom pour, that way you can see under the spout. I like my bottom pour nozzle at about chest level, but my table at about 28", just barely high enough to get my knees under. With a leather apron and a wheeled chair, you'll be able to jet away from any potential disaster just as easily as standing, just keep a clear path behind you and, as has been said, screw your pot to the table.

Gear

mdi
11-14-2010, 12:24 PM
A timely question. Last night I did a bit of casting and had a small "incident". I cast sitting and have my pot attached to a piece of countertop that will protect my benchtop from burns. Well, as will happen a screw worked loose and the valve stuck full open (I was intent on the mold so I missed the screw). The hot lead formed a puddle right in front of me, I had my hands full with a mold and a mallet, I put them down and as I was reaching for a pan (a small loaf pan I keep near the pot just for this reason) the puddle overflowed and approached my lap. I don't think a 20 year old could have jumped back any faster than this old dude did and about a pound of hot lead went to the floor. I got the pan under the spout and stopped the leak. I did make sure I had "jump" room around my casting area, and I was fully clothed and protected. I cast in an area where small spills don't have much affect and keep the area clean of junk that might get in the way of a fast escape. BTW, If you cast boolits, you will get burned. Mostly small burns but you'll prolly at some time try to pick up something hot now and then...:shock:

mooman76
11-14-2010, 01:06 PM
This has gone around a few times. I prefer to stand though. I can move easier and quicker while casting and if need be during a moment of idiocy. If I was to do it sitting I would want to do it on a tall stool so I can move off it quick if needed.

Doc Highwall
11-14-2010, 01:29 PM
mdi, that is why I have the LEE pot on the tray with the raised edge. A large cookie sheet or similar pan will contain the lead.

bigted
11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
LOL...this is just too cool man!!! you wouldnt believe my casting area and the hoky **** i use to be comfy and safe. i have learned a "few" insights on this one and i preciate it. prolly save me a ton of pain and maybe my outbuilding i use to cast in will not burn to the stinkin ground now. thanks all and especially thanks to gunstoc for starting this amusing and helpfull post.

Ted

HangFireW8
11-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I cast sitting on a rather flimsy picnic bench. That way, if I need to back up suddenly, I just knock it over on my way backwards and it doesn't slow me down much, I might end up on my posterior but I'm far enough away from the pot.

OK that wasn't the original plan but it worked out that way when needed. :)

-HF

RobS
11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm all for standing as I can get out of the way easier; I just feel more comfortable on my feet just in case the shlt hits the fan so to speak. I also like a lot of space to drop bullets on and have a dedicated area the size of a large bath towel for such. I even took a chunk of plush carpet the same size and lay the towel over the top so the bullets have a soft landing.

Jack Stanley
11-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I cast while sitting unless I'm using one of my oddball molds that insists I feed it with a ladle . The Lee ten pound pot had the drip rod removed and the hole plugged with a weld from the heli-arc torch . The pro-melt I normally used doesn't seem to have many "I'll get you my pretty!!" issues with me .

The bench top I made by laminating two layers of three quarter inch plywood and had it covered with fomica . The original plan was to use the bench for swaging and the smooth surface would help keep things clean . For casting I put a half inch pice of plywood on the bench and set the casting stuff on that . Directly above this bench I have a hood framed in to help contain any fumes untill a fan can exhaust it to the outside . Tha fan is at the very top of the hood and it's wired to a variable switch so I can adjust the speed .

The bench is mounted on two "pillars" that open to contain most of the bullet making gear . The whole thing is bolted to the wall and the floor so things won't get jostled around .

Jack

alamogunr
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
My casting bench is my table saw with a Masonite cover I made to fit. I need to elevate the pot a few inches because I prefer to cast standing.

If I am ladle casting, I set up a plywood top on a WorkMate bench outside. I ladle cast from a plumbers furnace. Obviously, I don't ladle cast in bad weather.

John
W.TN

theperfessor
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I use my welding table with a 3/4" steel plate top to set furnace, etc. on and sit in home-made tractor seat stool. Area around me is kept clear for "The Great Escape" if needed. Floor is concrete. Figured if area safe for welding it is safe for casting.

mdi
11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
mdi, that is why I have the LEE pot on the tray with the raised edge. A large cookie sheet or similar pan will contain the lead.

Yep, good idea. Since I moved I've been looking for such a pan. The ones for baking seem a bit small, but I haven' given up yet. Hmmmm, if I had access to some galvanized sheet metal I could make one, mebbe 14" x 18" or 24"?

casterofboolits
11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I cast sitting and built a four foot by two foot bench. The top is 1/2 inch thick plywood. I adjusted the height to be comfortable for pouring from my RCBS ten kilo bottom pour pots. The bench is sturdy, stable and leveled. The bench is also attached to the wall with brackets. The building will have to fall down for that bench to move!

I do not sit with my knees under the table and have enough space behind me to make a quick shove to the rear with my office chair with rollers if needed. Pots are secured with the type of clamp used to hold glass or screens in storm doors.

I was going to cover the bench with a sheet of galvanized sheet metal, but found I didn't need it as I was able to minamize any molten lead contacting the bench.

I have a four cavity Lyman or RCBS one pound ingot mold under each pour spout to catch drips. I also use the one pound ingot mold, bottom up, to rest my moulds on while casting. In total I use five of the ingot molds while casting. Two under the pots and three to rest the moulds on. I always cast using three four, six, or eight cavity moulds. The cast iron ingot moulds heat up and after a few dumps help to maintain mold temp.

I have never had a problem with the valve sticking on the RCBS pots. The Magma Master Casters are a different animal altogether. Have had to use a propane tourch to free them up several times in the early days. I soon learned early on to keep an eye on them while they heated up! Especially if the pots are close to full when they are turned on, I learned to only leave them about a quarter full when I turned them off. They are on another bench with a formica top and it is singed in a couple places under the casters.

Basicly, you will have to decide what is most suitable to your casting needs. Safety is important and good ventilation is a must.

Cherokee
11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I cast standing, have done so for 40 years. Works for me.

cbunt1
11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Depends on how the mood strikes me. I cast on an end of my reloading bench, and have a chair that's barstool height, and on rollers...so I can slide away quick if need be, and the bench height is good either way.

If I can figure out how to get a picture to show, I'll post it...