PDA

View Full Version : Good experience @ Cabelas today.

Ole
11-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I have a Cabelas Visa that I use to pay for everything. I pay the bill every month, so no interest, but I get 1% back in store credit for everything that I put on the card.

So I went to the Glendale Cabelas with my Dad today. Picked up 3 nice XXL Tshirts, 1lb of Unique, a box of 525 22 LR's, and a bag of 100 .44 special empty brass.

Everything was reasonably priced (especially the Tshirts) and the total bill came to around $90. I had 2 of those fliers that they send in the mail. One was $10 off any purchase, and another was $15 off any purchase over $50.

So the nice guy at the register let me separate my items into two separate transactions and took both coupons. I didn't think he would do it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Got the whole ball of wax for about $65. Actually that's $65 off the store credit that I had earned on my card, so it didn't cost me anything really. :D

Just wanted to share. Cabelas seems like one of those rare companies that actually cares about making their customers happy. :)

Everyone have a nice weekend. :mrgreen:

Matt

mike in co
11-14-2010, 02:15 AM
if everyone was as good as you ..they would not offer the program.....

if works in their favor when someone does not pay the bill in full every month......

its the interest...plain and simple

ohh and it is most likely not the store but the credit card company that puts on the program...no cost to cabelas.

mike in co

RobS
11-14-2010, 02:39 AM
mike is right with the interest and promotions etc., but for those who pay their monthly CC bill in full (use it only if you have it in the bank) then it works out on such person's behalf. It was cool to see the person at the register split your items up so you could use two coupons.

HeavyMetal
11-14-2010, 11:01 AM
The guy, or gal, who works behind the counter is pretty much no different than you or me: they understand the value of a dollar in these times as much as anyone!

Maybe more because they are in an industry that is basically driven by "discrationary funds" and anything they do that helps bring customers back, or gets word of mouth advertising ( which is what this thread is) to have new customers come in helps them keep the doors open and a paycheck for themselves.

More than enough reason to be "sharp" at the register.

Next time you go in make the effort to see the front end manager and lhim or her what a great experience the teller gave you! No need to give "gory" details just let them know you got "Warm and Fuzzy".

THis will garontee you, or someone else, will get the same great treatment in the future.

hoosierlogger
11-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Ole, I am proud to be a Cabelas deadbeat too. I put most of my purchases on my Cabelas card too, and pay it off when the bill comes in the mail. Ill bet over the 8 years I have held the Cabelas card, I have gotten well over $300 worth on goodies from them for free by using the points. It is an awesome program, I just wish we had a closer Cabelas to me.

SwedeNelson
11-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Picked up a Ruger 380, a box of ammo, and a set of reloading dies
Cost me $70.00 out of pocket.
Use me Cabela's card for every thing, gas, office supplies, shop supplies
even tooling.

The wife thinks I'm nut's
Swede Nelson

RobS
11-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Picked up a Ruger 380, a box of ammo, and a set of reloading dies
Cost me $70.00 out of pocket.
Use me Cabela's card for every thing, gas, office supplies, shop supplies
even tooling.

The wife thinks I'm nut's
Swede Nelson

Mine too, she just :roll: and then says, "I think the lead is getting to you".

EOD3
11-15-2010, 02:56 AM
I'm pretty sure being called nuts by our wives is a common malady. I keep telling her to think of guns like shoes, the proper rifle for the proper occasion, and a handgun that goes with the outfit I'm wearing. She called me NUTS pretty quick... :holysheep

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
if everyone was as good as you ..they would not offer the program.....

if works in their favor when someone does not pay the bill in full every month......

its the interest...plain and simple

ohh and it is most likely not the store but the credit card company that puts on the program...no cost to cabelas.

mike in co

Not totally true, the Lion's share of Credit card companies income is from their Clients purchase fee, they charge their clients 1% to as high as 4% on each purchase you use the card for. (the Client being the grocery store or whatever store where you use the card). This is why many Gun Dealers charge extra when using a credit card. Paypal does the same thing.

Also Cabela's is it's own bank, my Credit card statement says "World's foremost Bank" as in Cabela's: World's foremost outfitter.
Jon

gnoahhh
11-16-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm probably the last guy alive who never spent a dime with Cabelas! Nothing against them, I've just always put my money where my mouth is and bought at small local places, specialized small dealers on the 'net, and individuals rather than contributing to the wealth of huge retailers. Just me being me.

frkelly74
11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
We have the disney rewards ( gaaagh ) I have no idea how my wife thinks she is going to collect on that before the points expire, but she does. Probably stuffed toys or over priced outfits for the Girls. All made in China with lead in them.

Bad Water Bill
11-16-2010, 07:02 PM
We have a beginners day at the range every year. Cabelas is the biggest sponsor and actually calls us to see what they can provide each year.

Pretty good for two brothers that started out in their garage tying flies for 2 for a quarter.

mike in co
11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Not totally true, the Lion's share of Credit card companies income is from their Clients purchase fee, they charge their clients 1% to as high as 4% on each purchase you use the card for. (the Client being the grocery store or whatever store where you use the card). This is why many Gun Dealers charge extra when using a credit card. Paypal does the same thing.

Also Cabela's is it's own bank, my Credit card statement says "World's foremost Bank" as in Cabela's: World's foremost outfitter.
Jon

well if cabelas is thier own bank...then there is no 1% fee........so it is interest only that supports the program.......

and if everyone paid no interest...there would be no program.....

at cabelas...

yes ??

mike in co

hoosierlogger
11-17-2010, 06:43 AM
well if cabelas is thier own bank...then there is no 1% fee........so it is interest only that supports the program.......

at cabelas...

yes ??

mike in co

No, If you go the the grocery store and buy $200 worth of groceries on your credit card, the card company (Visa, Master Card, American Express, ect.) will charge the grocery store a small percentage of the transaction. It is kind of a fee for using the service. The stores hate to pay the percentage, but do it because most folks use cards instead of cash now a days. I think the percentage the card companys charge is more like 2 or 3 percent. So the card company would get $6 on a $200 transaction. Not much but it adds up.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-17-2010, 10:25 AM

at cabelas...

yes ??
mike in co
Mike,
at cabelas...YES, But as I pointed out, everywhere else the card is used, there is a client paying the 1% to 4%...they negociate that rate ...typically it is 3%.

think about this...I never...NEVER pay any interest, But my Cabelas Visa card bill is around $1000 each month...that's $12000 a year, I maybe spend $500 to $1000 a year at cabelas, I'm sure they appreciate that business. Plus they are collecting 3% fees on my other $11000 in purchases from clients, which equals $330. then multiply that by thousands of card holders. Yes they probably make more from the person who doesn't know how to use Credit properly...til they go bankrupt, then the bank (Cabelas) gets pennies on the dollar. There is no way to get rich on deadbeats. Those of us that conduct business smartly are their (Cabelas) bread and butter.

mike in co
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Mike,
at cabelas...YES, But as I pointed out, everywhere else the card is used, there is a client paying the 1% to 4%...they negociate that rate ...typically it is 3%.

think about this...I never...NEVER pay any interest, But my Cabelas Visa card bill is around $1000 each month...that's $12000 a year, I maybe spend $500 to $1000 a year at cabelas, I'm sure they appreciate that business. Plus they are collecting 3% fees on my other $11000 in purchases from clients, which equals $330. then multiply that by thousands of card holders. Yes they probably make more from the person who doesn't know how to use Credit properly...til they go bankrupt, then the bank (Cabelas) gets pennies on the dollar. There is no way to get rich on deadbeats. Those of us that conduct business smartly are their (Cabelas) bread and butter.

my bad..i had narrowed my thinking to just purchases at cabelas...which was wrong.

mike in co

MT Gianni
11-17-2010, 08:00 PM
No, If you go the the grocery store and buy $200 worth of groceries on your credit card, the card company (Visa, Master Card, American Express, ect.) will charge the grocery store a small percentage of the transaction. It is kind of a fee for using the service. The stores hate to pay the percentage, but do it because most folks use cards instead of cash now a days. I think the percentage the card companys charge is more like 2 or 3 percent. So the card company would get $6 on a $200 transaction. Not much but it adds up.

Also the person or business that sold them the credit card/debit card reader gets a small portion 1/100 of 1% or less for life. Big business's buy in bulk with a fixed deal but a buddy's daughter used to sell to small business and still gets a quarterly check.

Duckiller
11-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Be nice to Cabelas. You may have to deal with Gander Mtn. and find out you are a second class citizen if you live in California, Florida or Vermont. At least the store in Flint MI will treat you that way.

EOD3
11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
The "business banking fees" pretty much erase any positive benefit from the percentage juggling.

Unless they're hiding somewhere down south, there are no Cabella's stores here in the Peoples Republic. That saves me about 10% which, at least, covers the shipping.

vica
11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Hi, JUst a small note, I wish we had a Cabelas in the UK, For us Brits your prices are fantastic. Ive tried buying some things direct from the US but the postage/shipping are now prohibitive. Ive just seen another post where .22 rimfire ammo is $16 99 for 500. Here its £4 to £6 for 50 rounds.
Enjoy your shooting!

mike in co
11-19-2010, 02:05 PM
The "business banking fees" pretty much erase any positive benefit from the percentage juggling.

Unless they're hiding somewhere down south, there are no Cabella's stores here in the Peoples Republic. That saves me about 10% which, at least, covers the shipping.

go to a credit union..no banking fees at mine..and that's where my biz accounts are at.

mike in co

1Shirt
11-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Use my Cabellas card for gas and all Midway and Midsouth purchases. Think to date, have gotten (along with the promotion deals), better than 250 in goodies. Hard to beat sucess in my mind.
1Shirt!:coffee: