PDA

View Full Version : 300 gr 45/70 CB suggestions

Griffin
11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
hi there,
i am back at the drawing table once again it feels like. I have the usual marlin 1895 which shoots the lead bullet very well but i got one problem.
there is a 4 inch differense at 80m depending on me sitting or not, being relaxed or not when i fire. i run my 350 gr Saeco fn at 620 m/s = 1880 ft/s and i think this has to be a combo of recoil and runtime in the barrel. i was thinking of choosing a lighter boolit for higher speed and the minimizing the rise due to recoil absorbtion, and then getting the difference below 2 inches at best. i am forced to hold back at the moment when it comes to red deer as we call them in sweden because it doesnt feel good enough.
would this help?
is there a design that i would prefer? i hunt red deer, deer, boar and swedish moose, but dont let the moose effect the choice.
/Thanks a lot
Karl

thx997303
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Well, I am not really sure of what you mean by a difference of 4 inches at 80 meters depending.

Do you perhaps mean a 4 inch difference in point of impact depending on whether you are sitting or standing?

As for the boolit weight, 300 gr should work just fine on those red deer and moose, however, I may elect to stay with a 350 gr for a little edge in penetration.

Last I checked, red deer are extremely similar to the north american elk.

As for the moose, I believe your moose are A. alces, and the ones we have here in Utah are A. a. shirasi. I'm not entirely sure of the size difference, but I do know that A. a. shirasi are the smallest moose on my continent.

bigted
11-13-2010, 07:48 PM
four of us here in alaska have killed our large moose with 350gr boolits. they do not last long and die close to where hit and 1 keeled over rite where he stood. 350's at 1600fps does the number and penetrate thru our larger moose.

thx997303
11-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Well there you go.

If 350 gr is enough for A. a. gigas, than it's plenty for A. alces.

home in oz
11-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Flattens the trajectory, too, I suspect. (over a 405 or heavier)

MakeMineA10mm
11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
hi there,
i am back at the drawing table once again it feels like. I have the usual marlin 1895 which shoots the lead bullet very well but i got one problem.
there is a 4 inch differense at 80m depending on me sitting or not, being relaxed or not when i fire. i run my 350 gr Saeco fn at 620 m/s = 1880 ft/s and i think this has to be a combo of recoil and runtime in the barrel. i was thinking of choosing a lighter boolit for higher speed and the minimizing the rise due to recoil absorbtion, and then getting the difference below 2 inches at best. i am forced to hold back at the moment when it comes to red deer as we call them in sweden because it doesnt feel good enough.
would this help?
is there a design that i would prefer? i hunt red deer, deer, boar and swedish moose, but dont let the moose effect the choice.
/Thanks a lot
Karl

Well, it's only 20grs lighter than your current boolit, but for a lightweight bullet in the 45-70, I really like the Gould Hollow Point by Lyman. It's Lyman # 457122.

They're 457191 weighs 292grs, but I'm not sure of the nose length, which is important to make sure it seats deeply enough to work through the Marlin's action. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=71
http://www.lymanproducts.com/includes/img/lyman/bulletcasting/rifles/457191.jpg

Griffin
11-14-2010, 09:40 AM
as a answer to all of you i got the saeco 350 and it works well in all game i intend to hunt, no prob. the shift in point of impact is the thing i am talking about and i wonder if it makes difference, does anybody know that, if you load a lighter boolit to greater speed?
the swedish red deer is about 30 kg in weight so its smaller than elk and more to the white tail deer but still smaller.
would the PB boolit from gould work in lets say 1900-2000 ft/s or would it start to blow by?
thanks by the way for your answers.
/Karl