PDA

View Full Version : How did this start?

Charlie Two Tracks
11-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I have been searching but cannot find a sticky about how and when this site started. I am new to this site and was just wondering how it all began. Somebody got it going. Since this site is so big, it might be nice to know what happened " In the beginning".:coffeecom

buck1
11-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I recall reading it as shooters.com .
I didnt understand how it worked or what it was way back, but I read it. This is the second vershion I have been a member of( When ken and willy teamed up). I do like the old WW to boolits logo better.

""ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71 "" ....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE CHARLIE!!

Charlie Two Tracks
11-13-2010, 04:39 PM
So, who is Ken and Willy? Whoever started this site did a good thing. IMO I would hate to think of how long it would take me to learn to cast if I didn't have this resource.

45nut
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I started the site over on Aimoo in august of 2003 I believe,, we moved here in march of 2005.

I am Ken,, Gunload Master the owner of the Gunloads domain is Willy.

I started the site because a domain called Shooters.com decided to shut down and I was still seeking knowledge from the group that hung out there. Been a good ride so far!

Charlie Two Tracks
11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the information and starting this site. This is a very good thing.

Jack Stanley
11-13-2010, 09:09 PM
In the beginning , Jesus had things really hot so that he could extract the lead from the ground to make ingots . And Jesus said I think I'll make some thirty caliber bullets for the aught six and he created them perfect and without flaw . And he said it is not good for perfect bullets to be alone so he put all of the perfect bullets in the components locker and decided to make man in his own image .

And ever since , man has been trying to find the perfect bullet . :kidding:

My apologies if this appears irreligeous to any faith , that is not my intent .

Jack .... runnin 'fer cover [smilie=1:

buck1
11-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Its truely a awsome place, If payday permits , drop a few bucks in the kitty at the top of the page now and again.

geargnasher
11-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice, Jack, nice. The Messiah is a leadhead, go figure.

Gear

Jack Stanley
11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Gear , since we all started pouring lead we've been looking for those perfect bullets ain't we ? :smile:

Some of these guys here got it so bad they have mold collections that rival baseball cards

Jack

Blammer
11-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I found a perfect boolit, then I shot it with not so perfect aim, so is it still a perfect boolit?

captaint
11-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Only if nobody else was there to see it!! Mike

qajaq59
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
The best thing about this site is that a huge number of knowledgeable people have found it and stayed to help others. And if someone spends a few days reading the archives and rummaging thru the search section, the amount of information to be found in here is staggering. And appreciated.

Armorer
11-15-2010, 10:48 PM
The best thing about this site is that a huge number of knowledgeable people have found it and stayed to help others. And if someone spends a few days reading the archives and rummaging thru the search section, the amount of information to be found in here is staggering. And appreciated.

I couldn't agree more. This site is indispensible to those of us fairly new to casting. I spend a fair amount of time pretty much every night going through the archives and also reading current posts. The amount of information here is staggering.

Hammer
11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
+1 to Armorer and quajaq59

This is an awesome site. I have spent the better part of the last year on this site every night and most days. It is not only the amount of information, but also the folks willing to share their expertise! I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Did the Old Testament mention Moses seeing a Silver Stream somewhere - just curious...

If the rest of the world ran this well, we wouldn't be in the fix we are in.

patsher
11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Amen!

Jack Stanley
11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I'd say it's time to pass the plate .... if the ushers would come forward . Those of you with paypal please see the site administrator .

:kidding:Jack

Buckshot
11-18-2010, 03:22 AM
..........This is a pretty kewl sight:veryconfu 98% of the time folks pay attention to the rules, don't intentionaly try to dis another member, and want to help out. Only a portion of shooters are reloaders, and a small part of those are boolit casters so it's a kind of a minority, but we don't have a complex over it. [smilie=w:

Some people have a big issue with the whole BOOLIT thing, but that's all it is, is a 'thing', and not using it doesn't earn you demerits, or getting a wedgie from another member. If you DO see a member giving another member a wedgie, they probably know each other:shock:

There's a wealth of info in the "Classics & Stickies" forum, and the search function works kinda okay:killingpc. The original group from the old Shooters.com BB started a website called Castpics at: http://www.castpics.net/ and there's also info, junk, flotsam and jetsom there to eat up even more of your time. ALso check out the "Vendor Sponser" section as there are some talented and innovative folks there.

................Buckshot

Charlie Two Tracks
11-18-2010, 07:40 AM
You're right about the information over there also. I just found that a couple of months ago. The member articles are a must read. Thanks again for the time you guys put in the site to keep it up and running.

white eagle
11-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I agree 100 %
great site good bunch of guys
good place to come after a hard day at the range

Ben
11-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm on this site DAILY. A great bunch of people ! !

Ben

Char-Gar
11-18-2010, 03:55 PM
shooters.com was on of the "umbrella" boards and the cast bullet section was just one of the forums. When shooters.com went belly up, the cast bullet folks sorta wandered in cyberspace for a couple of years, landing first one place and then another.

Five years or so ago, the group found a home here, and it has grown by leaps and bounds.

I don't know when the cast bullet guys started with shooters.com but I hooked up in 1998. 'They were going pretty strong by that time. We were a bunch of guys who had been casting and shooting in isolation and bumped into each other on the Internet. We began to share information and experience, argue, dialog and many good things happen that formed the knowledge base we have today.

Not many of the "planks" are still with us. There are a few, but most have grown tired and/or frustrated and have dropped out. The names of Mad Mexican, Horsefly, and others should be remembered for the contributions they made.

9.3X62AL
11-18-2010, 04:08 PM
IIRC, the term "boolits" was coined to dodge firewalls or other filters that stopped terms like "bullet". Not certain as to that, though. Odd that a few folks are annoyed by use of the term, but it does appear on a couple other boards I infest as a descriptor for castings. Not my doing, I should add.

I'm here almost daily as well.

waksupi
11-18-2010, 05:13 PM
IIRC, the term "boolits" was coined to dodge firewalls or other filters that stopped terms like "bullet". Not certain as to that, though. Odd that a few folks are annoyed by use of the term, but it does appear on a couple other boards I infest as a descriptor for castings. Not my doing, I should add.

That is a good point on the "boolit" spelling. It will bypass a lot of filters, that block other gun and shooting sites.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
That is what I was wondering about Chargar. It is too bad some have left. I guess that is the way it usually goes though. I just like to hear of the history of the site and people.

Char-Gar
11-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Charlie.. Change at any level is something most human's don't like. We favor continunity over change is every area of life. The older we get, the less we tolerate change.

With the influx of new casters and posters change was bound to happen. While it is a great thing to have new folks involved in the craft, it also produced some change that set the old boys teeth on edge. Among which were:

1. A flurry of the same basic questions, that occurred over and over and over again. Folks were not willing to do a search or read a book. They wanted the Big Boys to spoon feed them. For a time, you smile and give the answers. After while it starts to grate on your nerves.

2. Then you have the influx of feaux experts that didn't know alloy from their anus, repeating some of the bunk they have read in the pulp gun press as if it were holy writ and arguing with the folks who really did know. That get's tiresome real quick!

3. There there are the always present personality conflicts, whereby one of the parties gets pissed and moves elsewhere. We have lost several good folks that way.

Why did the "planks" move on? More change than they wanted. I continue to hang around, but I have gotton pretty surly! :-)

blackthorn
11-19-2010, 02:09 PM
If you go back and look you will find the same questions occurring at intervals throughout the old posts. I believe this cycle happens as often as a "new" lot of shooters (would be casters) begin to participate. It may be that researching a simple question becomes daunting when they open up the thousands of pages of information that exist now. At least that is what I tell myself when I start to get irritated! At the end of the day, I am not obligated to reply in any way. We all started somewhere. Have a great day.

qajaq59
11-20-2010, 08:50 AM
I have noticed that some of the old timers have gotten quiet. It's just natural that they would skip answering the easier things that can be handled by the ones with less experience. But if a serious question comes up they often come back in to help.

Beekeeper
11-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Please excuse a complete newbes answer.
I have been casting for nearly 50 years.
When I started I was out in the cold sort of as there were no other casters around me except family.
I am 74 years old now and didn't get a computer until I was 68.
It took me until 2 years ago to find this site.
And yes I ask a lot of questions that someone else has already answered.
Mostly because I have an extremely hard time using "search".
If you do not know the right words to put in you get nothing that helps and that is frustrating.

Personally I have received more help here from the "plank owners" as you call them than I have ever received in all the years of going it alone on what I read in a book.
I almost stopped reloading completely as the rag writers now days are more of a hinderance than a help( sorry Rocky Rabb but it is true)

I think I would pack it all in if I didn't have this forum to go to for info and answers to my (dumb and often stupid) questions.
But that is only one mans opinion!!

Jim

Char-Gar
11-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Beekeeper. Your story is like most of us who have been with this board for a while. We worked in isolation and when we got together and shared, the craft took a giant leap forward. We busted many cast bullet myths that had been around for generations and were oft repeated in print by the "experts. WE also had a good crew of hard science types who could quantify and explain why things worked they way they do. Many of us knew what worked and didn't work, but we didn't know why. Once you know why, then finding a linear path of sucess became much easier. When we worked along, our sucess was often hit and miss and we didn't know why. Since this board matured, we know know why and the hit and miss is gone.

I still see most of the newer posters on this board "jackrabbiting" around trying this and that without a linear approach or much understanding of what they are doing. They just seem to want somebody to give them a load so they can skip the learning and testing. They posses little interest in learning the "why", they just somebody to spoon feed them the "what".

Folks who want to learn the craft are always welcome to ask question. That is how we all learned much of what we know. It is just the "grab a load and go" folks that get under my skin.

I told you I was getting surly!!!!

Beekeeper
11-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Not in my book!

I am guilty of the jackrabbiting as well as When I found this place I couldn't find time enough to ask all the questions I had.
I"ve slowed way down now and find I enjoy the site even more this way.

Just wish I could figure the search function out.

Like my kid says garbage in garbage out,
I just can't seem to find the right search words so get a lot of garbage out and kinda get discouraged.

Jim

goofyoldfart
11-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Charger: I do have to sort of agree with Beekeeper. My biggest problem was trying to find the proper word sequence to use the search function. You know, It's funny, I have worked with computers for over 28 yrs. (putting them together and loading programs) but some things--well, I have a serious "Senior Moment" :) I have been reloading and casting since I was 10 yrs old with my Uncle Joe. I am Now almost 66 yrs old (65 11/12 yrs.) and find that I haven't realized how much that I have forgotten. In my late 20's and early 30's I shot h**l of lot of cast and really enjoyed it and completion. as I got older, work interfered and I didn't cast as much and reload as much. I have had a couple of Bosses that were the proverbial slave drivers. (Guess that's what happens when you are a good worker and have a sense(Misguided?)of loyalty. Now that I'm retired I am starting to get back into the swing of things and enjoy myself. Even though I have been casting and reloading for 55-56 yrs. I am still learning (or re-learning ) new stuff each time I peruse these pages. I having a ball just reading as well as reloading. God Bless to all.

badgeredd
11-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Charlie.. Change at any level is something most human's don't like. We favor continunity over change is every area of life. The older we get, the less we tolerate change.

With the influx of new casters and posters change was bound to happen. While it is a great thing to have new folks involved in the craft, it also produced some change that set the old boys teeth on edge. Among which were:

1. A flurry of the same basic questions, that occurred over and over and over again. Folks were not willing to do a search or read a book. They wanted the Big Boys to spoon feed them. For a time, you smile and give the answers. After while it starts to grate on your nerves.

2. Then you have the influx of feaux experts that didn't know alloy from their anus, repeating some of the bunk they have read in the pulp gun press as if it were holy writ and arguing with the folks who really did know. That get's tiresome real quick!

3. There there are the always present personality conflicts, whereby one of the parties gets pissed and moves elsewhere. We have lost several good folks that way.

Why did the "planks" move on? More change than they wanted. I continue to hang around, but I have gotton pretty surly! :-)

Well put Charger. :bigsmyl2:

Others for help on the search engine:
One way to get more out a search on this site is to go to Google and use the advanced search. Putting in http://castboolits.gunloads.com as the domain to search (the last line of the advanced search page). Usually people put in too much (making the search to tight) or on the other hand too little info (making it too loose) to get the desired results. Often one can put in a broad search and then go back with a narrower search to find exactly what they want. This suggestion was made several months ago and I've found it to work very well. I'm kinda just repeating what was said by others in the past.

As for the plank holders, we still have many and they are ever helpful. I'm impressed with the ever present patience of many so I tend to ignore the repeated often questions figuring someone will answer it one way or another eventually. Often it is a relative "newbie" that gets a bit tired of the SAME ole questions too.

By all means, this site has a vast array of personalities, but as a friend has said (he's on this site too) I have yet to meet a member face to face that I don't feel comfortable around. It is amazing we have so little conflict here to me with the number of members we have.

Edd

HangFireW8
11-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Putting in http://castboolits.gunloads.com as the domain to search (the last line of the advanced search page).

I find it faster to limit the search on the standard Google page as thus:

site:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ search terms

To narrow results I put a "minus" in there with undesired results, like this:

site:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ wanted_info -unwanted_info

To force Google to hold two search terms in order, use double quotes:

"220 Swift"

Putting it all together:

site:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ 22 Hornet -rimfire -"long rifle"

-HF

45nut
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM

actually,, every other name that I wanted to use was already registered and taken, boolits was a last resort but considering the heritage of the word it fit nicely as a tribute of sorts to the fellow refugee's from the old shooters board.
No disrespect was ever intended to those that think a bullet can only be spelled one way and any variant is "cutesy" or such,, it literally has a provenance to those roots and the meaning is spelled out in my signature.

Anyone can be the target for the disdain created by words , it's not meant to be an insult though.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks HangFireW8. I did not know that. I would just hit the search button and put in something like .359 and get all sorts of stuff to sort through. I will try your method.

BOOM BOOM
11-25-2010, 05:38 PM
HI,
I was on the old amieo site. It was very good too.
When the move happened I spent more than a mo. printing the threads there as I was afraid it would disappear. There is a lot of good info there as well for you newbies.
Now there is a sticky with its link.
THANK YOU FOR THIS SITE!