PDA

View Full Version : Case Knives

carpetman
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Companies that give good and bad customer service get mentioned here. Somehow there was a piece of the handle of my Case pocket knife broken off. To my knowledge it had not been dropped or in anyother way been abused. Why the missing piece is a mystery. Anyways I sent it back to W.R. Case and Sons Cutlery Co. I'm not sure who owns that company now. One time Zippo Lighters and Case owned by same company---might still be. At one time a knife collector out of Tennessee named James F Parker owned it. The repair took aboy 6 weeks. The repair was free but I was charged $7.50 shipping and handling. The handle repair looks perfect. They also sharpened it---apparently on a grinder and left a blue tip(from overheating)on the tip of the main blade.

Bret4207
10-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Hmmmm, lost the temper for you huh? Nice. I lost the Schrade I carried for years. Spotted a Buck Stockman at Wally World and thought, "Hey, Bucks good and thats just like the very first good knife I ever bought." It's an OK knife, but it ain't made in the USA. Nope. China. When did that happen?

txbirdman
10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I always liked and carried a Case Mini-trapper pocket knife until awhile back. Now I'm carrying a Spydeco Delica I bought new off ebay. It sure is handy to have it clipped in your pocket and be able to open with one hand. Worked out real well on a trout fishing trip this summer. It's half serated and half regular. It requires a Lansky for me to properly sharpen though.

MT Gianni
10-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I have had good luck with the cold steel 3 1/2"-4" styles. I have two tantos one 1/2 serrated and 1 stnd. Cut any thing and they stay sharp. Gianni.

waksupi
10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
A pox upon anyone, who would ever touch a knife blade to a grinder! The fastest way to ruin a knife. That is the only way dad and grand dad ever knew how to sharpen them, and once I learned how to do it properly, was the knife sharpener in the family. So, dad, and grand dad, rest your souls, I hope those pox aren't itching too bad! That is why I issued pox, instead of a curse!
Parkers were pretty decent knife makers. I had a double blade damascus Trapper style knife by them some years ago, that a friend decided they needed to own. I screwed him unmercifully, as they were a limited run of that model.
My best folder, is a Camillus lock back double blade Trapper model, that I have used as a hunting knife for years. I don't care for stainless blades in general, but this one you can sharpen up shaving sharp, and I dressed three deer, an elk, and could still shave hair from my arm with it. If I ever see another, I will certainly buy it for a spare. Another great knife, that went out of production.
Serrated knives are something I have never seen any use for. If you can't have a sharp knife to do what is needed, you may as well pack a saw with you. Which I do, for dressing elk and bison. I also have a very nice little Swedish hand forged axe, that the folks at Tactical Knives sent me. It has proved an excellent size for quartering large animals. Lizzie Borden would have loved it.
Take a look at Smokey Mountain Knife Works, and have them send you a catalog. They have some good American knives, in among the import fantasy gadgets. (Can't call them knives. Nope. Just can't do it.)
Ray, I would call them, wade through the minions, and talk to the grand poobah of the company. Tell them what happened. I wouldn't be surprised to have them re-blade, or replace the knife.

klausg
10-05-2006, 08:30 PM
It is a shame that Case's customer service is so bad; I've never had to deal with them as most of my knives either get lost or grow legs long before I can break them. That said, Case has always been my favorite when it comes to pocket knives, I have managed to hang on to my favorite, a slimline trapper, for quite sometime now(about 12 years). Though my nephew has been eyeballing it for a number of years, I may have to break down and get him one also.

NVcurmudgeon
10-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Bret, I had a real Buck Stockman given to me by a real good friend, I think the model # was 303. I field dressed several mulies and an antelope with it, in the 18 years I had it. Of course, it met the fate of all good pocket knives--getting lost. My pocket knife for the last ten years has been a Buck named, but made by Wenger, Swiss Army knife. It differs from a real Wenger by having black handles instead of red, and the main blade is a pointed clip style instead of the traditional Swiss spear point.

Hmmmm, lost the temper for you huh? Nice. I lost the Schrade I carried for years. Spotted a Buck Stockman at Wally World and thought, "Hey, Bucks good and thats just like the very first good knife I ever bought." It's an OK knife, but it ain't made in the USA. Nope. China. When did that happen?

waksupi
10-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Just to continue on the subject, kinda, for once. What do you guys carry for your day to day pocket knife? Mine is a red, white, and blue two blader, 3 1/8" closed, that belonged to my grand dad. It was a premium from Purina Feeds, as he bought tons of feed. It shows sharpening and use wear, has a nice even patina, and is sharp as a razor.

Shepherd2
10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Waksupi - I'm convinced that serrated knives were invented by a farmer that was tired of dulling his knife cutting baling twine. I've had some pretty decent knives and I know how to sharpen one but baling twine seems to wipe the edge off them in no time. I prefer a knife with a plain edge but around the farm I always carry one with a combination plain and serrated edge. That way I can cut twine and still have a sharp knife.

I got the Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog this week. A couple knives caught my eye. I always wonder who's buying the fantasy gadgets and why.

powderburnerr
10-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I got me a hen and rooster 4&1/4 incher to replace my old case . knives dont last me too long . I use them mercilessly . ...........Dean .

. the hen and rooster seems to hold an edge quite well .

DLCTEX
10-06-2006, 12:44 AM
I carried a schrade old timer for many years, wore the blade thin with sharpening. Bought a box of junk at a garage sale for a dollar that had an Uncle Henry with a broken blade in the mix. Sent it in and recieved a new one for $3.00 freight. I've carried it about 7 years now, and use it many times every day. My go to tool is a Leatherman Super Tool that I use every day, hard. Broke it twice by abusing it . Recieved a new one, no questions asked.

shooter2
10-06-2006, 07:58 AM
My day to day carry knife is a Benchmade AFCK with a partly serrated blade. It takes a good edge and and keeps it. I wanted the partially serrated edge for cutting such things as seat belts, rope, and twine. We recently traveled and I took along (in checked baggage) a Wenger Swiss Army knife for all the handy little tools and, by golly, it came in handy.

For the best edge in sharpening I use a Japanese water stone. For a fast, and very good edge, I use a slow speed grinder made for sharpening carver's and woodturning tools. You know, gouges, chisels and the like. Works for me...

redneckdan
10-06-2006, 08:45 AM
i carry a kershaw whirlwind everywhere. my kabar has a permenant residence on my pistol belt. my prefered method of sharpening is the lanskey system.

Bret4207
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I still have my original Buck Stockman and both my Boy Scout knives- a Camillus and a Case. They, along with an ancient Camillus sheath knife rumoured to have been carried by an uncle while island hopping in the Pacific in WW2 and my old coin collection remain safely tucked away in a seldom opened drawer. Somethings you just don't risk.

My everyday carry includes the afrementioned Chinese Buck Stockman and a Leatherman Super Tool, not sure which model. Without the Leatherman I'd be lost. Any human who calls himself even remotely "handy" has to have at least one. Beg, borrow or steal one. Ask for one for Christmas, a birthday or anniversery. If things get really deperate- buy one yerself! Don't bother with the Sheffield brand Walmart jobs. Those are for the tool box, the kitchen drawer or Junior. Get a Leatherman or at least a Schrade. I got a Schrade on sale for $6.00 thats pretty much a small Vice Grips (so marked) with a knife, screwdriver, etc in the non- locking handle. I keep it in the truck as I don't have a sheath for it. Good tool but not ergonomic as the Leatherman. I am on my 5th Leatherman. The 1st was sent in after I broke the pliers off abusing it. No questions asked. The second was melted in an unfortunate accident involving a 24 volt battery- 'nuff said. Again, no questions asked. The 3rd I broke one pliers jaw off at work durng 9/11 and it's to be sent in. Yes, procrastination is an art. The 4th is someplace in the manure and dirt near one of my round bale feeder. I'm sure I'll find it stuck through a tractor tire in 20 years or so. The 5th rests on my hip in an Amish made sheath. I already broke the serrated blade off cutting a hunk of black plastic pipe. Don't twist when you cut boys. It'll be sent in one day soon as the needle nose pliers are 1/2" shorter than they used to be due to the starter switch on my Cockshutt breaking. You can fill in the blanks on that one pretty easily I'm sure.

Got the Smokey Mtn wish book this week. Although my boys all want Ninja swords, throwing knives and daggers, I'm leaning towards Swiss Army knives as stocking stuffers. I want a couple of those Swedish Mora knives and a few other geegaws. Mere $$$ stand between true happiness an me.

ebner glocken
10-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I carried an uncle henry for prolly 15 years. Now they have quit making them and are pretty hard to find (couldn't compete with competition out of china). So after seeing this as my last uncle henry I went to walmart and bought a buck getting it home before I seen "china" on the blade. I hate to say it but the chinease buck isn't a bad knife at all, sharpens up good, keeps an edge, and snaps back every time...........that's pretty much what a folder is supposed to do.

fatnhappy
10-06-2006, 12:14 PM
deviating slightly, I can't stand using lockblades for hunting anymore. I had a couple Uncle Henry's over the years and just got tired of picking the hair and fat out of them. I do carry a buck folder everyday though.

My standard now is the marbles sport. I have a pair with the cocobola handles that are terrifyingly sharp. They're perfect for deer but probably too small for elk.

MT Gianni
10-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I have a leatherman wave on the hip and a 2 1/2" cutco lock back in the pocket. I traded somebody out of this when his wife bought a bunch of kitchen knives and it is a good little folder. Shepard2 the best thing for cutting bale ties is an old tooth off of a swather. Triangle shaped and sharp on 2 sides the only trouble is where to put the thing when you are done feeding. gianni.

Shepherd2
10-06-2006, 04:26 PM
MT Gianni, I've got 3 or 4 made up with handles but the problem is their usually just out of reach and the knife is right there in my pocket. I carry one on the tractor when I'm feeding round bales. I unroll the bales down hill and I've got to cut the string fast and get out of the way of the stampeding cattle.

jb12k
10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Recently bought a pair of Genuine Smith and Wesson 150th Anniversary knives off Ebay-Was Very disappointed to find they too were made in China ! I knew there was a reason I only own 1 S&W pistol !!!

montana_charlie
10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I always carry two knives.
Usually that is a little Swiss Army job (on a key ring) in my pocket, and my Buck lockblade. The Swiss only gets used when I need razor sharpness for some delicate job. The Buck is (and always has been) the model 501, and today is called the Squire. Back when I bought mine (in '71) it was called the Esquire. It's been on my belt, in the original little pouch, every day since then.

The Buck has dressed everything from quail to elk, and done every kind of cutting job I can imagine. It's even stout enough to split the breastbone on a muley.
I use a Lansky to sharpen it, and never get in a hurry while doing it. In between sharpenings, a few light strokes on a diamond butcher's steel keeps it usable.

For cutting haystring, I use the Air Force issue Pilot's Survival knife that I carried in Vietnam. Looks kinda like a Kabar with a shorter blade. Maybe that's not a smart thing to do, cuz it means I spend a few minutes of every day 'back in Vietnam'. But I think that would happen, anyway.
CM

fatnhappy
10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Maybe that's not a smart thing to do, cuz it means I spend a few minutes of every day 'back in Vietnam'. But I think that would happen, anyway.
CM

I carried my Uncle's K-bar from Korea in Panama and the Gulf war. Every time I lift it, it clears my mind of all unconsequential garbage. It also reminds me I ain't 21 anymore.

carpetman
10-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I find it interesting hearing what you carry---keep em coming. The Case knife I mentioned is a 3 blade about 3 7/8 Stockman type. For several years I carried small----about 2 1/2" 3 blade stockman and almost 100% of the time it was really all I needed for everyday carry(not hunting). And 100% of the time it was better than no knife at all-----don't know how people get by that don't carry a knife. I carry 3 blade knives and almost never use the spey blade. Do use the sheepfoot and clip blade. When I fly I pack my knife in my check in luggage and when I get to destination I pretty soon will be getting it out. Sorta feel naked wiothout it. The one knife I am interested in and nobody has mentioned is the Puma---appreciate any feedback on them.

sundog
10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
My Dad passed away a couple years ago. Yesterday I was going through some of his tool boxes, kinda getting an idea how to integrate all of it into my stuff. He would have wanted it to be used and cared for, not neglected. Several antiques included. One item really caught me off guard, because I had never seen it before. It's a Case fighting knife. And the blade is ready for a fight, for sure. Both he and his Dad were expert knife sharpeners. The handle is stacked leather washers with his stamped into it. His name and service number are also stamped into the leather scabbard. I also have a K-bar that was his - honed to a keen edge. I place the Case as pre WWII, late 30's. A neat little treasure, for sure! sundog

carpetman
10-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Sundog---If you are interested in learning about the vintage of the Case knife you mentioned,post exactly what is factory stamped on the blade and if you can describe the style of letters in the Case name,I might be able to give you a rough date on it. Better yet if you can post a clear picture of the markings.

woody1
10-10-2006, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=carpetman;110658]I find it interesting hearing what you carry---keep em coming. QUOTE]

Just pulled mine outa my pocket....Oldtimer, genuine Schrade NY USA #8OT (belonged to Dad, a little 2 blade penknife with finger nail file (Quaker State, oil I assume) belonged to a favorite uncle, and on my belt a single blade lockback Old Timer #125OT. In my "goin' to town pants" there's a two blade Case with a number 62031 1/2 on the blade. Got that one in 1962 and haven't lost it yet. Regards, Woody

KCSO
10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
When my grandfather died I inherited a drawer full of seed corn pocket knives. You buy a bag of seed you get a free knife. A lot of those were either Schrade or Case 2 and 3 blade stockman's style and I have passed them on to my grandchildren. I carry a civil war era IXL two blade for general purpose use and a benchmade on duty.

klausg
10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I generally rotate three knives around, number one is a Case Barehead Slimline Trapper (single blade), number two is a Schrade Improved Muskrat, and the last is a Remington Upland Bird. I used to carry a Boker Trapper a lot also, until someone decided they liked it more than I did. I don't have any personal experience with Puma, I bought my Dad one for Father's Day about 10-12 years ago, don't know whatever came of it when he passed last winter.
-Klaus

Rick Hodges
10-10-2006, 08:17 PM
For the last 7 years I have been carrying a Moore 3 1/2" 3 blade whiteler. The one with both springs under the big blade. A very nice made in U.S.A. carbon steel knife. A bit pricey but well made and will take an edge that is scary sharp.

sundog
10-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Thank you, C-man. I looked at it really close. No other marks on the knive. CASE is stamped of the top of the guard facing forward. That's it. Ya'ever pick up a knife and know it was a good piece of steel? Maybe next week when I go back to work I can get a digital pic and post it. sundog

krag35
10-10-2006, 09:20 PM
For my daily carry it's a little kershaw Juniper canyon. When I go hunting I put my Shrade trapper in a pocket and there is a Kershaw blackhorse lock back I've had for close to 20 years. I have a Gerber fixed blade I'll carry this year, because I too get tired of cleaning hair, blood and fat out of the folder.
krag35

KYCaster
10-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I carried a Buck Muskrat for many years. It did most anything I asked of it. I came to appreciate the locking blade and one hand opperation of the newer designs and now carry a Benchmade for everyday use.

I used to use a Case Sodbuster Jr. for field dressing deer, but wasn't happy with the way it held an edge. I've been using a S&W for a couple of years and was really surprised at how it holds an edge, and reasonably priced too, less than twenty bucks.

I could never understand the need for a serated blade. I've not found anything they'll do any better than a straight blade, and lots of things not nearly as well.

Jerry

carpetman
10-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Sundog----The style of the letters CASE would need to be known--probably take a picture. I think it was 1965 there became a requirement to put USA on USA made knives.

carpetman
10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
I was high bidder on EBAY on a Puma stockman,maybe I'll be able to give myself feedback,but then to really compare will take years of usage. Bet if posted in about 10 years that they work great folks think I got smarter and became crazy.

onceabull
10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
C-Man: my #971 Puma Game Warden,Serial 72x72,came back safe from the field last night..Still doing well as has been since '70's, best saw blade I've seen/used on any production knife..Bought a late ed.puma 2 blade lockback for a S.I.L. of the year loaner, it's not a third of the earlier,but cost barely half in greenspans what the Game Warden did in $ of those days..[smilie=1: Onceabull

Ricochet
10-17-2006, 03:29 PM
What do you guys carry for your day to day pocket knife?

http://www.flames-n-knives.com/ca_pics/br/RR151.jpg

Ivantherussian03
10-18-2006, 12:59 AM
There is something about a fine tool, especially when it stands the time and use, and is passed on to someone that sees its value.

These are Knives I use.

I carry a leatherman super tool most of the time. I use the hell out of my trapping knife, an Uncle Henry, the trapper model; it is a tiny knife. I were lanyard around my neck for my wave leatherman while I trap. It is pretty handy. I hunting big game; so its mostly shrade, but I have a collecting of Green River knives for hunting that dont seem to be used much; I built them while waiting for break up in the spring.

sundog
10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
C-man, here it is.

http://home.valornet.com/corkyconnell/case_knife/knife_sheath.jpg

http://home.valornet.com/corkyconnell/case_knife/knife.jpg

http://home.valornet.com/corkyconnell/case_knife/guard.jpg

carpetman
10-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Sundog--The style of lettering was used by CASE from 1940 until 1965,however, it usually had XX as well. Prior to 1940 the C in Case was more of a cursive style with a long tail that went across underneath the other letters.

Ivantherussian03
10-19-2006, 11:29 PM
That is a definite treasure!

Frank46
10-20-2006, 02:49 AM
I use two knives when hunting. The first is a case folder with two blades ,nickle silver bolsters and what looks like dar redwood with little divots taken out of the wood. Have had this knife for about 30 years. The second id a german PUMA and what I think they called a hunters companion. Has 5" blade with horn handles and a leather sheath. The last One I picked up to go huntin in pennsylvania and that was about 1971. And the last is a naval pilots survival knife that cost me 5 bucks.on board ship. Frank

PatMarlin
10-22-2006, 12:55 AM
I bought myself one of those nice long buck knives with the black and silver handle, and black leather sheath back in the 70's, and it got ripped off. You can't buy em' anymore.

My fishing buddy happen to have one and gave it to me last year. Know I got my big Buck back.. :Fire:

Buck closed it factory in Sand Diego a few years back.. :roll:

I use it more in the kitchen than anything. I love this knife and here it tis...

omgb
10-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I carry a Ken Onoin "Chive" self-opener. I love the size and the ability to open it with one hand. Prior to that, I carried a Buck and or a small Case. this one is better.

Lloyd Smale
10-22-2006, 12:51 PM
there are three major knife makers within 60 miles of me. Marbles, Bark river knife co. and rapid river knife co. I wont buy marbles anymore because the farm out work overseas. Bark river and rapid river are both run by nice young men that got there start at marbles and build a much better product. Depending on what style of knife you like for a fixed blade hunting knife you wont buy a better product for the money anywhere then either of them. They are real nice small town type guys to deal with too. Chris at rapid river will even do custom work. He built me a nice drop point with burl birch handles thats beautiful and did it for around a hundred bucks. Which is less then your going to pay for one of the china sucking sobs at marbles. My daily carry knife is a bark river micro canadian with micra grips and its been a workhorse of a knife. Another real handy one is the chub made by bark river knives. Check out there websights. You wont be disapointed in there work.

montana_charlie
10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Here is another high-quality knife maker http://www.mooremaker.com/
Back when I first learned of it's existence, one of the few places you could buy them was through veterinarians. My vet provided a catalog and order blank so I could order one as a gift for a very discriminating friend. The steel in the blades is of very good quality, and the knives are well assembled.

One of my favorite commercial makers is Puma. I had a six-inch bowie of theirs (years ago) which got stolen during one of my military moves. It was absolutely the best blade I had ever used up till then.
CM

Bubba w/a 45/70
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I refuse to own or use a Leatherman anymore. Owned 3 of them (supertools, originals), won't anymore. Traded them all for a SOG powerlock and have never looked back. The file on the SOG is much harder than the Leatherman, I like the way the tools lock better, I have pretty much all the tools/knives I need, and have cut more barbed wire with this SOG than the Leatherman could have ever thought of. I could damage the wire cutters on any leatherman with the first cut. Mine doesn't even show use of wire cutting.

My hunting knive is a Green River buffalo skinner that I put together a couple years back. Not the best of the best, but it feels real good in my hand, and keeps teaching me how to sharpen blades[smilie=1:

sundog
10-23-2006, 10:11 AM
C-man, thanks. I suspect he had this in the Army. He was in from 38 to 45. Anyone know the best way to do a little clean up on the knife in the picture? Blade is fine, but I'd like to clean up the leather a little. sundog

montana_charlie
10-23-2006, 12:48 PM
sundog,
What is it you want to do to the leather...just polish out the 'scruffy' patches?

You can polish the edge of a piece of leather (and those are all edges that you see in the handle) my dampening it and rubbing it. A weathered bone or piece of horn works well, as does antler material. You can even do it with the flat portion of your fingernail (it's like horn) but you'll get tired of that pretty quick.

Typically, you have the 'tool' crossways to the leather edge, and rub it back and forth along the length of the leather...not like sawing across it.
With the leather washers assembled into the handle, it may be difficult to have your tool crossways to a washer edge, but to move lengthways (compared to a washer) you will feel like you are sawing across the handle.
Hope I said that in a way that makes sense.

On the other hand...
Since the washers are tightly stacked and supporting each other, it may be possible to get them to polish up by moving 'across' the leather. Here, you would lay the bone across the handle, but move it back and forth in a guard-to-pommel direction.

Try both ways briefly. If the leather is going to improve, it won't take long to start.

In any case, you don't use heavy pressure, and if the leather edge doesn't start to 'shine up' in ten or fifteen strokes, then it probably isn't going to.
CM

sundog
10-23-2006, 01:42 PM
CM, thanks. I've cleaned up old leather before, but just want to know what others do. Number 1 priority is to not damage what's there. Since it is a 'few' years old, and apparently still serviceable, it's worth cleaning and preserving. It has a good blade.

Old knives are pretty neat. I have my GFs J.C.Higgins hunting knife that he bought new LONG before I ever came along (probably circa 30s or 40s). It had some kind of [then new] two tone yellow plastic grips that began to disintergrate a few years ago - all crumbly like when you'd rub on it. Hmmm, says I, how to fix.... Well, the final idea turned out pretty good and made it very serviceable. I had an old maul with a hickery handle that needed replacing, so I did that and then cut new grips out of the old handle. Under the original grips was very nasty rusty and lightly pitted, mostly I would assume from deer blood. Anyway, got it all cleaned up, carved and fitted some new handles and glued and pinned them in place. A few coats of tru-oil and voila. Nice looking knife that holds a very keen edge. Maybe not the best material for the grips, but they work very well. sundog

waksupi
10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Corky, I don't believe I would really try to clean that handle much. Maybe a light scrub with saddle soap, dry it, and put on some Lexol, to restore some oils to it.

sundog
10-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Ric, I was kinda thinking the same thing about a light cleaning with saddle soap, but I was thinking mink or neats foot oil. The leather washers are in realtively good shape, still intact and packed tight. The scabbard will clean up alright, too. It's been resting quietly for a lot of years, so a few more days won't make any difference. Definitely gonna need to be careful of the edge while I'm working on it.... Tell me about Lexol. sundog

waksupi
10-23-2006, 10:05 PM
The Lexol is what is used in saddle shops, and restoration jobs, to bring life back to leather. You should be able to find it at any decent saddle shop, and many hobby shops.
The Lexol will add essential oils, without unduly softening the leather.