PDA

View Full Version : Itar

7br
10-05-2006, 12:23 PM
ITAR (Internation Traffic in Arms Restrictions) fever has hit my company. We have had several presentations as penalties are fairly severe and they can go after the person and not just the company. Basically, it says you can not export anything that might be military in nature to a foreign entity. There are exceptions, but you have to get a license from the state department. I noticed that firearms, parts and ammunition are on the restricted list.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of this? My understanding that export would also be selling to a foreign national in the US.

Frank46
10-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Last time I ordered some reloading dies the bill was printed with something to the effect that these items cannot be exported without a permit from the state department. It would seem to me that inadvertantly or on purpose exporting items such as these could be construed as giving aid to the enemy. Just my take, though I could be wrong. I do know that the last time I took brass to the junk yard the dealer had special drums set aside and curiously I asked him about this. His reply was that cartridge cases cannot be sent out of the states for remelting or other uses. Frank

imashooter2
10-06-2006, 05:53 AM
It's not just selling physical goods. Allowing foreign nationals to see data (blueprints, test results, etc.) is an export.

R.M.
10-06-2006, 08:44 AM
As a Canadian with a Green Card, how is it that I can purchase firearms (pass the instant check)?

R.M.

Bret4207
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I think the "special relationship" between the US and Britan/Canada/Aus/NZ might apply here. Not sure, but I wouldn't rock the boat.

WARNING! WARNING! THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH VIOLATES THE FORUM RULES REGARDING POLITICAL SPEECH!!! THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO READ THE FOLLOWING DO SO AT THEIR OWN RISK!!!

"It's not just selling physical goods. Allowing foreign nationals to see data (blueprints, test results, etc.) is an export."

Hmmmm, so when a President sells missle secrets and military aircraft secrets to, say China maybe, in exchange for campaign contributions- would that be a no-no?

Forget I asked. Water over the dam.

imashooter2
10-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I think the "special relationship" between the US and Britan/Canada/Aus/NZ might apply here. Not sure, but I wouldn't rock the boat.

-snip-

"It's not just selling physical goods. Allowing foreign nationals to see data (blueprints, test results, etc.) is an export."

-snip-

I'm no expert, nor a lawyer, but my understanding is:
Buying a gun in the US with a green card is no problem. No weapon available to those individuals is a military secret. When that individual leaves the US to go home, he/she has to follow his nations rules on importing the weapon as well as the US rules on export. The same would apply if they bought cigars, lumber, or any other goods.

Foreign military sales go through the State Department and there is no exception for UK, Canada, etc.. If the SD approves, I can let foreign nationals see our prints and data. We sometimes get foreign engineers in plant as part of our offset packages (I work for Boeing). What we are allowed to show them and even where they are allowed to walk is very strictly controlled. Every individual that may come in contact with them is given specific training and has to sign a document stating they have been trained and understand what they are allowed to "export".