PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Cast Bullets

kodiak1
11-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Anyone on here got that 6.5 mould they call the cruise missle?
I think that is the knick name for it.
If someone does would they be willing to ship a fella about 20 of them?
Would gladly pay the postage and cost of the lead.
Have a 6.5 Remington Mag and would love to try them in that thing.
This thing with 120 Grain Remington CoreLoks is not deer friendly at all.
Shot a doe with it today went in the back just behind the front shoulders and followed the spine down to the pelvic bone where it hit one of the hip joints.
Man it looked like some one put a hand grenade in this white tails pants.
That hip joint turned to shrapnel and just tore one hip up really bad.

Ken.

mooman76
11-12-2010, 12:00 AM
I could send you some. Midsouth shooting supply has the mould made custom from from Lee. It's something like 160 gr and is a long boolit, that's why it gets it's nickname.

Buckshot
11-12-2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.fototime.com/99D9FC450E586AA/standard.jpg

.............I have a Rem 600 in 6.5 Rem Mag and if that is what you have, in order to fit the loaded cartridge in the magazine you'll have more boolit hanging down below the neck then you do sticking up out of it :-)

http://www.fototime.com/B55472729A707A9/standard.jpg

The CM is on the right, loaded for the 6.5x55 Swede. The 6.5 Rem Mag case has 1/3 LESS neck length, and 2/3rds less leade then the Swede :-) BTW, both those boolit's are seated to engrave in the same M1896.

..............Buckshot

geargnasher
11-12-2010, 03:29 PM
+1 on much of the boolit sticking into the case, depending on the particular cut of the mould, the CM might have a fat nose and are VERY long.

How about BABore's Kurtz design?

Another prospect, how about the Lyman bore-rider silhouette? I have that mould, too, and if the nose will fit the lands that might be a good option for the 6.5 Remington Mag.

Post some bore and groove dimensions and I'll see what mine measures.

Gear
Gear

Bullshop
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
A really nice aspect of the 6.5 cal is that if you also have tools for 25 cal you can use a .258 boolit sizer die to change any length of the nose to bore ride diameter.
For instance I am shooting the first design in Buckshot's pic from a 6.5x57 with a very short throat but I have the gas check seated in the neck and half the lead drive bands sized .258" to snugly ride the bore.
This boolit without nose sizing must be seated so deeply it has lube grooves inside the case with the powder. The nose sizing also leaves a shoulder on the boolit where the taper is at the mouth of the sizer die. This shoulder can be set at any point desired on the boolit so that it will contact the lead of the chamber at any seating depth desired.
There is a similar relationship with a few other calibers, the 270/and 7mm come to mind.

kodiak1
11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Gear I will measure this weekend.

Bullshop I may just have to try that also.

Thanks Ken.

kirill
11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Hello,

Great idea from Bullshop, using an undersized sizing die to reduce the front bands on the cruise missile.

How would one use the Lee Sizing die to do this? Push the boolit part way through and then somehow push it back out?

I'd like to try the cruise missile in a 260 Remington. Could I do the nose as per Bullshop and then run the whole boolit through a Lee Sizer in, say, .266?

Kirill

kodiak1
11-14-2010, 09:43 PM
kirill I agree with you after reading bullshops post again that is a great idea.
I don't see what harm you would do by resizing the back half of the bullet to size after under sizing the front half.

I will probably try that if I can get a few bullets to try.

Ken.

sourceofuncertainty
11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
I have some extra cruise missiles. Happy to send ya some if you want to try them. PM me.

Bullshop
11-14-2010, 10:18 PM
What I do is size/lube to the larger diameter first, then to the smaller diameter after lubed.
Another thing I should mention is to have a top punch, in this case a base punch that is a good fit to the boolit base to keep a good alignment.
On the cruise missile being so long I would be cautious not to bend them. I think a custom TP may be in order for nose sizing the cruise missile. Something that is a close fit but deep enough to contain about 1/3 of the boolit length. That should keep things straight and prevent bending while still allowing all the desired nose sizing you may want.
A good mini lathe project.

Hang Fire
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
A really nice aspect of the 6.5 cal is that if you also have tools for 25 cal you can use a .258 boolit sizer die to change any length of the nose to bore ride diameter.
For instance I am shooting the first design in Buckshot's pic from a 6.5x57 with a very short throat but I have the gas check seated in the neck and half the lead drive bands sized .258" to snugly ride the bore.
This boolit without nose sizing must be seated so deeply it has lube grooves inside the case with the powder. The nose sizing also leaves a shoulder on the boolit where the taper is at the mouth of the sizer die. This shoulder can be set at any point desired on the boolit so that it will contact the lead of the chamber at any seating depth desired.
There is a similar relationship with a few other calibers, the 270/and 7mm come to mind.

That is what I do with the CM in my M-38 Swede. Also same for my oversize (.314") MN bore using sized down 8mm boolits. Bit of pain, but hey, if frugal, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Thought I had posted about this few monts ago, lo and behold, found it,

Hang Fire
Boolit Master

The Lee Cruise Missile does pose some interesting scenarios. Mine casts WW at .271". My Lyman boolit sizing die is .264", my M-38 Swede groove dia is .2685". What to do?

I seated and crimped the gas check first in .264" LS die using the old #45 lube/sizer. Have a .257" sizing die, so did the nose first thing to take the .263" nose down to just shy of the first band. But with the short leade of the M-38, the boolit would still have to be seated well below the shoulder. So ran the boolit nose first into the .264" die, first and second band to .264", third band at .267" as it entered the taper and left last two bands at .271". Lo and behold and by gosh, can now seat the GC right at base of neck, dummy rounds chamber and fuction fine through the action and all is now well for the CM test drive.

kodiak1
11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
sourceofuncertianly

Sent you a pm.
Excited like a kid with a new toy.

Ken.

TCLouis
11-15-2010, 10:31 PM
What about the Saeco 140?

The issue with 6.5 Mag and 120 grain cup and core bullet is the bulleis likely designed for much lower velocities.

1Shirt
11-19-2010, 06:58 PM
:The "missle" shoots like a million bucks in my 6.5x55's. I run it right about 1550.
`1 Shirt!:coffee:

calkar
11-20-2010, 09:37 PM
lets see pics of the groups and at what distance?