PDA

View Full Version : In rememberance of my Dad, 1 Year Later.

rattletrap1970
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Richard A. Dubey Sr.
Dec 10th 1947 - November 11th, 2009

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/rattletrap1970/Pictures%20of%20me/1969.jpg
My dad is the guy on the far right (not standing on the wooden path) with his arms outstretched. He was quite a clown.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/rattletrap1970/Pictures%20of%20me/MeDad-Retouch.jpg
Me and my Dad.. I was 3.

My introduction to firearms and shooting was from my father; Richard A. Dubey Sr. I remember my Dad always having guns, he was always cleaning them or fussing with them. When I was about 7 or 8 I went with my Dad to visit a friend of his. His friend's son (who was about my age) gave me a couple .22 rounds. I thought they looked neat and threw them in my pocket. My mom found them when she was doing the laundry and I got in trouble. Very shortly afterward I was brought to a quarry with a 1913 Stevens Crack Shot 26 and a Marlin Model 336 .30-30.
I don't know if the purpose of the visit was to indoctrinate me into shooting or tech me a lesson., but, after that I was hooked.
Every now and then he would bring me shooting but it wasn't till I was about 16 or 17 I joined Bell City Rifle Club in Bristol, CT. I bought a $69.00 SKS and started shooting Highpower Matches. As I met people when competing I was introduced to Reloading by two great guys who are also no longer with us. I strayed away from shooting when I went to college, just didn't have the money.
I promptly returned to shooting after I graduated and started earning a living. I got out of shooting again when I purchased my house.
After losing my Dad last year and inheriting his guns I realized how much I enjoyed the sport and how much I will miss going to the range with him. In fact, I had just re-joined Bell City because it was 5 minutes from my parents home. I figured while he was in treatment it would be a good way to get him out of the house and get his mind off what was going on. We made it to the range, once. It was a beautiful sunny fall day, peak leaf change day and the last time we ever shot together. Now, when I shoot I do my best to enjoy it for myself and for every round he'll never get to shoot.

He passed away on November 11th at 12:30 in the afternoon from complications from the treatment of Cancer caused by Agent Orange exposure. He was stationed in Chu Chi Vietnam from 1967 to 1968. He was with the 269th CAB where he was a Helicopter Crew Chief and door gunner. He earned the Air Medal and Army Commendation Medal. He worked for the Bristol Public works department for 34 years. He started as a garbage man and by the time he retired he was the head mechanic for the town.
He was a good man, and he was my friend.. And I miss him.

Shooter6br
11-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Your Dad seems like a great guy. My Dad started me on shooting and reloading. It was back in 1961. He did not like sports. The only thing we had in commom was hunting ,shooting and reloading. He had all Herters equipment. Collected military arms but worked during the war (II) making airplanes. He was a mechcanical engineer. Gone 24 yrs. We are lucky to have great Dads Rick

Doc Highwall
11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Some times you have to wonder about how things are related and the relationships that seem to come out of nowhere. I use to belong to Bell-City and still remain in contact with people there. That is where I started to shoot small-bore seriously and spent a lot of time there both shooting the Sundown League and all the small-bore matches along with practicing and training people there. Who knows I could have talked to your father.

rattletrap1970
11-10-2010, 09:59 PM
One thing I am grateful for is the little extra things. Like all the things I've learned having shooting as a hobby and all the great folks I've been in contact with and learned even more from. Folks here are no exception.

curdog
11-13-2010, 09:15 PM
The loss of a Father is a terrible thing. I lost mine August 30 of this year and I understand how you feel. Your post is a great tribute to a fine man and I am sure he was proud you.

WILCO
11-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Your post is a great tribute to a fine man and I am sure he was proud you.

Well said. Stay strong Rattletrap.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-20-2011, 01:21 AM
We are diminished...

Rich
RVN 1969-1971