PDA

View Full Version : Moisture in Sawdust Flux?

Hamp54
11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Has anyone had problems with moisture in sawdust blowing up the pot? I’m new to all of this so I’ve never tried using sawdust. I have a friend with a woodshop and I thought it would be a great place to collect some sawdust for cleaning wheel weights but I have noticed some of it can be a little damp.

I’m not sure if this is the place for this post.

zxcvbob
11-10-2010, 02:46 PM
The sawdust will float safely on top; might sizzle a little if it's damp. You won't stir it in until it chars, and it will be dry by then.

PatMarlin
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I would definitely not use damp sawdust even if it's allowed to char on top, why risk it? Why ask for even the slightest possibility of an accident?

Any wood product will attract moisture, so it's not a good idea to keep it in a damp environment.

I would dry out sawdust on a wood stove or heater carefully, or just let it dry out indoors. Spread out and turn over frequently.

Shiloh
11-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Inherent moisture in the sawdust is one thing. Damp or wet is entirely different.
As stated, it will float and sizzle, but wet sawdust on molten lead?? Not for me.

SHiloh

Dan Cash
11-11-2010, 06:52 PM
It depends upon what made the sawdust/shavings wet. I have table saws and a jointer in the same work room with my casting bench. At times, I use shavings to flux; just walk over to the jointer and get a scoop from under the stand. Well, I did that the other day and plopped it in the old lead pot. I did not notice that the cat had been there before me. No explosion but the exhaust fan could not get the smell out fast enough.

Hamp54
11-12-2010, 12:49 PM
In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle …”Surprise Surprise Surprise”

NoDakJak
11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Gosh Dan, Now I remember why I don't let animals (or kids) in my shop. Several years ago though, my neighbors sneaky cat got locked in the shop. Several days later when I opened the door I was startled by a peircing screech and a blur as that cat exploded out the door. Poor animal must have been almost dead of dehydration.
Perhaps I will see you at the Baker Gunshow this weekend. Neil

Dan Cash
11-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Gosh Dan, Now I remember why I don't let animals (or kids) in my shop. Several years ago though, my neighbors sneaky cat got locked in the shop. Several days later when I opened the door I was startled by a peircing screech and a blur as that cat exploded out the door. Poor animal must have been almost dead of dehydration.
Perhaps I will see you at the Baker Gunshow this weekend. Neil

Did not know it was on this weekend. Thanks for the tip as I might make it.

Ken77539
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
. . . I would dry out sawdust on a wood stove or heater carefully, or just let it dry out indoors. Spread out and turn over frequently.

Not around my place. Too many cats!

Ah, I see Dan knows what I'm talking about!

PatMarlin
11-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Not around my place. Too many cats!

Ah, I see Dan knows what I'm talking about!

Oh... No cat problem in S.E. Asia.

Echo
11-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Oh... No cat problem in S.E. Asia.

Except big ones - with stripes...

Dan Cash
11-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Except big ones - with stripes...

That would give full understanding to the term Tiger Pi**.

Cowboy T
11-18-2010, 11:22 PM
It depends upon what made the sawdust/shavings wet. I have table saws and a jointer in the same work room with my casting bench. At times, I use shavings to flux; just walk over to the jointer and get a scoop from under the stand. Well, I did that the other day and plopped it in the old lead pot. I did not notice that the cat had been there before me. No explosion but the exhaust fan could not get the smell out fast enough.

OMG! LMAO! :mrgreen::lol::mrgreen::lol:

That is freakin' hilarious.